Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I buy the block and rotating assembly, can I put it together?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default If I buy the block and rotating assembly, can I put it together?

I am looking to buy a new motor soon. I might have found a block, its a Katech LS1, seasoned and vaccum impregnated, and dry sleeved to a 4.125" finished bore. I would like to throw in an Eagle 4" stroke rotating assembly. No plans for boost. Unfortunatly if I buy the two seperate they will not be assembled, obviously. I am wondering if this is something I can do myself. I would obviously need a few more tools to start. I have done every single mod on my car, including suspension, cam install, ex-Procharger install, clutch, valve springs twice. I have even taken apart many lawnmower engines and modified the internals and then ran after putting them back together. But building a real motor has got me concerned though. I've seen the guys on HPTV build motors and they are VERY meticulous when it comes down to clearencing and checking specs over and over. There arent many well knows engine builders in this area, and I dont feel like spending massive amounts of money to send it to one of our sponsors to be built.

They say if you want something done right, do it yourself... is this any exception?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know. If you screw something up with this, it leaves nobody to blame buy yourself. And you have to be verry careful as to no scratch up the crank durring assembly. You could do it, but I advise against it. Go get a junk yard SBC and rebuild that one yourself, that way it you mess something up it wont be as expensive as an LS1.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you would find that the price of the tools that you would need would overtake the price of having someone assembale the engine. I was quoted $300 for short block assembally by one of our reputable sponsors. You could easily spend that much on a good TQ wrench. Another thing is the balancing of the rotating assembally. There is no way that you as an individual can balance the assembally yourself. A machine shop would have to do it. Your best bet would be to buy the rotating assembally from a sponsor who can balance it before they send it to you. Then, if you had the tools, you could assemballe it.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I think you would find that the price of the tools that you would need would overtake the price of having someone assembale the engine. I was quoted $300 for short block assembally by one of our reputable sponsors. You could easily spend that much on a good TQ wrench. Another thing is the balancing of the rotating assembally. There is no way that you as an individual can balance the assembally yourself. A machine shop would have to do it. Your best bet would be to buy the rotating assembally from a sponsor who can balance it before they send it to you. Then, if you had the tools, you could assemballe it.
I would buy the rotating assembly from FFHP, and have them balance it as well. Is there a write-up on building a motor, preferably an LSx? Maybe I can look at that and see what I think.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really any write ups, more along the lines of books lol. There's a thread some where in this section listing the books and where to get them.

Edit: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=book
here's a thread that mentions a couple books.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Not really any write ups, more along the lines of books lol. There's a thread some where in this section listing the books and where to get them.

Edit: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=book
here's a thread that mentions a couple books.
Yeah that book is very detailed and informative. I've read that book many times over and its what I would refer to if I was going to assemble an LSx engine. It might be one of your best bets if youre serious about doing this project yourself. BTW you can pick one up for 20bucks at Barnes and Noble.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

I put mine together from parts on ebay, ie block, crank, pistons etc. Some used parts some new from all different years. Just took my time and used a shop manual. The motor runs awesome with ABSOLUTELY no leaks.
You really don't need any special tools. Just a good torque wrench and an engine stand.
Go for it.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by redmist
You really don't need any special tools. Just a good torque wrench and an engine stand.
I guess it all depends on how thourough you want to be with your build. You need to be able to check main clearences, crank run out, rod bearing clearence, and ring gap at least.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:01 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I guess it all depends on how thourough you want to be with your build. You need to be able to check main clearences, crank run out, rod bearing clearence, and ring gap at least.

personally i wouldnt start my motor building experience on a motor that i needed to be reliable and handle over 500rwhp.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrp

personally i wouldnt start my motor building experience on a motor that i needed to be reliable and handle over 500rwhp.
Thats what I was thinking.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

the biggest problem I think you'll run into is finding a shop that will MACHINE the LS1 block correctly. Putting it together is the "easy" part of the situation. Assembly is assembly there is not really that much of a difference in checking clearances between motors they all gotta check a spec book. Also if you are gonna stroke it there are clearences that need to be made you are better off getting it done.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

The block has already been machined at Katech. It was also clearenced for the stroker crank.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Does Katech have the block? If so, why not have them assemble it?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:08 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Does Katech have the block? If so, why not have them assemble it?
i believe he's refering too Beasts katech block he has for sale.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

As mentioned, you'll want(need)to check(and re-check)your torque values, rod and main clearances/ endplay(crank and cam), run out/ ring gap, as well as bore taper/deck height, P2V and preload.... in a meticulously clean build enviroment. Did I mention check(and re-check)all of the above?

Just takes a few quality tools, good parts and the homework/patience/desire to achieve a quality build.

If you're comfy w/that.... then build it yourself, and have that extra special feeling every time you fire it up.

OR.... let a pro do it for a nominal fee, and have a leg to stand on(warranty)if it doesn't perform as promised or if it fails.

While I've built a few SBC's over the years, I fully realize the LSX IS a different animal and that some of the old school rules will not apply, but fwiw, I will be purchasing a fully machined B&B'd matched 408" party pack and doing several mock ups before assembleing it myself next spring.

It's not rocket science.
Did I mention patience?

Quick Reply: If I buy the block and rotating assembly, can I put it together?