Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, anyone running with a TRex cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hey, anyone running with a TRex cam?

Hey, i am about to get a new Camaro because i had a tire blowout on the freeway and wrecked the other one. But, there is one that i have been looking at and it has a TRex cam in it. Is there anyone here that has any experience with the cam? Like how does it guzzle gas, should i switch it to an F13, hows the driveabiliy and the bucking and everything. I heard that this was a pretty gnarly cam. Please enlighten me, i gotta know. Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people run this cam. From the ones I see, driveability is pretty good with a good tune, don't know about gas mileage...Monster cam! If you want a car with a big cam, you'll love it.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could search and find your answer faster than it would to type your post and wait for someone to reply. It's a big cam and most people probably wouldn't want to drive it everyday, but it's not impossible.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

what are the differences between that and lets say an F13?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

HUGE, HUGE, HUGE...Those two cams are like saying what's the difference between driving a stock f-body and a stock viper.
The TREX will make 15-25rwhp more and will idle MUCH rougher and drive MUCH worse. The f-13 is more like a stock drive, whereas the trex is not. People will argue whether or not a TREX is a daily driver cam, but you will NEVER hear someone argue that with an f-13. You should make anywhere from 390-405rwhp with the f-13+bolt-ons. The same car would make anywhere from 400-425rwhp.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uhm...well, if you're gonna buy that car, why don't you just test drive it? We can talk about that cam on here all day long, but why? All you gotta go is drive that particular cam....unless of course the car sits in Key West and you live in Honolulu.

Manny
Old 09-12-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion a TREX is not streetable as a daily driver. It was designed to be the largest cam you can fit in a 346 without flycutting, and has a very nasty idle and a powerband that's not really street friendly. Like I said, thats my opinion. I have heard of people who say they like driving with it, it really just depends on what YOU define streetable as.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 777
HUGE, HUGE, HUGE...Those two cams are like saying what's the difference between driving a stock f-body and a stock viper.
The TREX will make 15-25rwhp more and will idle MUCH rougher and drive MUCH worse. The f-13 is more like a stock drive, whereas the trex is not. People will argue whether or not a TREX is a daily driver cam, but you will NEVER hear someone argue that with an f-13. You should make anywhere from 390-405rwhp with the f-13+bolt-ons. The same car would make anywhere from 400-425rwhp.

With a proper tune a TREX can be made to drive like stock. And I do want to stress that is with a proper tune. I have done a couple of cars that have no bucking, surging, or any other nasty habits with this cam, just a radical idle and lots of power.

Tuning this cam to drive properly is definitely more involved than some of the smaller offerings out there, but it can be done.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Geoff
With a proper tune a TREX can be made to drive like stock. And I do want to stress that is with a proper tune. I have done a couple of cars that have no bucking, surging, or any other nasty habits with this cam, just a radical idle and lots of power.

Tuning this cam to drive properly is definitely more involved than some of the smaller offerings out there, but it can be done.
I agree and am sure that tuning is everything, esp with T-rex, but would you say the T-rex is street friendly in terms of the powerband? I've always wondered if it was a noticeable loss of power until 3000 or so RPM, but I do see a good number of people daily driving it so it must be pretty decent down low as well.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

If you have the right converter (4000 and up) then the power band is right where you want it to be (street or track)
Old 09-13-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Geoff

I concur with Geoff.not a daily driver here .this thing have a nasty idle.idling @950rpm.rev limiter @7200rpm.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

i have an M6, do you think that will help at all? What is the stock idle and powerband? The powerband for the TREX is 3500 - 6800?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea a TREX will be easier to drive in a M6. Most aftermarket cams are tuned to idle between 750-950rpm, so I'd think 950 would be fine. The 3500rpm powerband would be the only thing that concerned me, but as long as it didn't feel like a pig below that I'd be ok with it, and Geoff says it'll be good. Here's a clip of it idling btw, I believe this is DanZ28's car @950rpm. By the way, i think the powerband goes a little higher than 6800rpm with it.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/mufflex/muf...am_950idle.wmv

Last edited by LSUxBlake; 09-13-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont forget that all the power is up top. Do you really want to spin a stock shortblock that high? Or to buy one that already has?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

i would say hold out and find a stocker somewhere else.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is truly a top end cam. I actually have a bigger duration on my cam than the T-Rex does, but it idles better because it is not that low of an LSA.
It sounds like a pro-stock car at idle, so if you want to scare people into thinking your bad ***, this is the cam for you. But you can really drop the hammer in this thing too!!!

Plus, the term "streetable" depends on one thing. If you dont mind driving it, then that makes it streetable.

I will say this though, if it is an M6 you are gonna need some serious gears, that powerband will give you jack crap off the line...but you will be able to over spin your crank with no problems on the high end side! Get your rev limiter set somewhere reasonable cause if you miss one to many shifts = game over. Especially if it is stock internals.
And yes...you will be able to get that thing deep into the 7,000's.

my $0.02

PS:
How the hell does he get that car to pass inspection in freaking California!?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
This is truly a top end cam. I actually have a bigger duration on my cam than the T-Rex does, but it idles better because it is not that low of an LSA.
It sounds like a pro-stock car at idle, so if you want to scare people into thinking your bad ***, this is the cam for you. But you can really drop the hammer in this thing too!!!

Plus, the term "streetable" depends on one thing. If you dont mind driving it, then that makes it streetable.

I will say this though, if it is an M6 you are gonna need some serious gears, that powerband will give you jack crap off the line...but you will be able to over spin your crank with no problems on the high end side! Get your rev limiter set somewhere reasonable cause if you miss one to many shifts = game over. Especially if it is stock internals.
And yes...you will be able to get that thing deep into the 7,000's.

my $0.02

PS:
How the hell does he get that car to pass inspection in freaking California!?
The internals are stock, but its got solid mounts, with 4.10s so that makes it a little more street friendly. He smogged the car when it was stock, so it passed. If i decide to get it, then ill just go get it smogged. I have confidence that it will pass

....ehem 250$
Old 09-15-2005, 01:44 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd

....ehem 250$
dude, you are overpaying!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

its harder here
Old 09-15-2005, 03:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
The internals are stock, but its got solid mounts, with 4.10s so that makes it a little more street friendly. He smogged the car when it was stock, so it passed. If i decide to get it, then ill just go get it smogged. I have confidence that it will pass

....ehem 250$
$250 to pay off a smog guy?!??? You're getting ripped, no offense.