Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Still Leaking....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Still Leaking....

Ok, this is driving me crazy, between my friends and I, we've done about 10 cam swaps. I've done 2 on my car. For some reason, I cannot find the cause of my oil leak! I never got any leaks before.
I was certain it was the seal, I changed it, it still leaks. The car only leaks under pressure so its nearly impossible to find. If I drive normal, it is fine, idleing, its fine, but when I get on it an build up the pressure it leaks all over.
Anyone have this problem?
Where else could it be leaking from? It is definitely the bottom of the motor, not the heads/valve covers, etc..
Old 09-17-2005, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Did you RTV the corners of the pan before installing the front cover??
Old 09-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS1875
Did you RTV the corners of the pan before installing the front cover??
Yes I did, I hope I put enough on, maybe I'll cake some more on the outside and see if it helps at all, I'm sick of taking the car apart.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it definitely coming from the front? Can you put it up on stands and get the RPMs up while checking?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Is it definitely coming from the front? Can you put it up on stands and get the RPMs up while checking?
No question its the front, I'd be scared to get under a car at 4,500 rpm's. It sucks, I drove the car 50 miles with no leaks, then on the way home, I decided to beat on it a bit, oil all over...I wonder if I can drop the oil pan enough to put more RTV in there? I guess I'll have to find a buddy who is willing to get under it and look for me while I rev it up...
I was able to tighten the bolts at the bottom of the cover about another quarter turn, I'll hope that does it..
Old 09-18-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

The front main seal, did you tighten down the pulley first, then bolt down the front timing cover? I didn't do this when swapping out my oil pump, and messed up my front seal so I had to get a new one and do it right.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Krab
The front main seal, did you tighten down the pulley first, then bolt down the front timing cover? I didn't do this when swapping out my oil pump, and messed up my front seal so I had to get a new one and do it right.
I though it was the seal, so I replaced it... It's not teh seal.

What is near the AC compressor thay could leak the oil. It seems to be near that.

I'm fairly certain it is not related to the timing cover It seems pretty dry. I see alot of oil on the bottom of the AC compressor
Old 09-18-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same problem,only on the rear of the motor when i did the H/C on my car.to make a long story short,one of the cross main bolts was missing(behind the starter).that's why i do all of the work on my car now,i don't trust a lot of mechanics these days.i doubt that's your problem though,just thought i would share my experience.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Well, its definitely the front of the motor, but I did swap my H/C and it has leaked ever since.
I wonder if there could be a bolt in the front somewhere I missed?
I just hate to ake it apart again until I fine out where it is. Its so messy when all that PS fluid spills out of the lines while removing the assembly.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

dave, just a thought, did you reinstall stock damper or aftermarket? have seen aftermarket keyed hub not properly sealed, leak at keyway under flatwasher.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smask04C5
dave, just a thought, did you reinstall stock damper or aftermarket? have seen aftermarket keyed hub not properly sealed, leak at keyway under flatwasher.
I reinstalled the stocker. It was worn a bit around where the seal meshes with it, but it appears to seal properly. I really didn't see any oil on or around the damper, I could see it leaking before I changed teh seal.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

any way you can mount a small digital video camera to take a 2 minute movie of that area? I had a similar instance with a dry sump belt that would harmonic violently and took a small remote camera and mounted near pump, video cables ran to recorder at the helm of the boat.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Launching!

I'm thinking that maybe since I tightened the bottom bolts last on the timing cover that is my issue. I'll loosen the others, then tighten the bottom ones first and see how it goes...I hope it's that simple...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06-Dave
Its so messy when all that PS fluid spills out of the lines while removing the assembly.
I put some rubber vacuum caps over mine to prevent the lines from draining, didn't lose anything.

There is oil in the A/C compressor, are you sure it's engine oil? Have you smelled it to verify?

Edit: One other thought, isn't the A/C compressor disengaged during hard acceleration, if you are not disengaging and running the compressor up to full RPM, I am wondering if you are overpressurizing the seal and blowing out the A/C oil. Why not disconnect the A/C completely (electrically) and see if the problem repeats itself?