Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 engagement issues after 9k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 engagement issues after 9k miles

Have the spec 3 ceramic for approx.9k miles and today the clutch peddle would engage about 3 inches from the floor and peddle felt soft until depressed almost all the way down. The clutch always engaged close to the end of its travel and it started doing this today only. Not sure if its going out or if its the hydrolic system. Why would this be happening now? The clutch still grabs ok but the engagement is at a totally different point then it was. ???????????????????????????????/
Old 09-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have some air in the system...
Old 09-21-2005, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

How would air enter the system? I don't know too much about the clutch setup and how do get the air out? Also, could the fluid be low and how do I check? Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search for "Buschman clutch bleeding"...see his post on here about how he fixed his McLeod Master Cylinder. That's where I'm getting all of my ideas...for what it's worth, I started doing step 3 of his write-up last night, and I surprisingly found air bubbles in my "properly" bled hydraulics.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

You might want to replace your fluid and bleed the system. Sometimes headers cook the fluid, breaking it down so it doesn't hold pressure like it used to. As for checking your fluid just take the cap off the resevoir and look in it for fluid .If its black its time to change and bleed the system
Old 09-21-2005, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

just checked the clutch fluid level and it is really low and it is black in color. Do I have to flush out the whole system and if so how much fluid do I need? If I just add fluid will that make things worse?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:32 PM
9 Second Club

First off all the black fluid is no good, you need to get rid of it.Somehow get it out off the resevoir(dump it , suck it out, or maybe some napkins to soak it up).Then fill it up with NEW fluid. Your gonna have to force the rest of the old fluid out the bleed nut. So actually your bleeding your hydrualics on the car.Its pretty simple to do. Its pretty much like brakes, push down the pedal slowly and hold it then turn the bleed nut until fluid comes out then tighten it back up then release the the pedal slowly.Your gonna repeat this alot. MAKE SURE NOT TO LET THE RESEVOIR GO DRY !!!! That means check it every 2-3 times you open the bleed nut and top it off with NEW fluid. Continue to do this until NEW fluid comes out and if your not sure its clean just do it a couple more times until you are sure its new clean fluid coming out. Your pedal should be alot better after that.hope this helps
Old 09-21-2005, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the great info. I'm going to try to bleed it in the morning and hopefully I get my peddle pressure back. Glad the clutch ain't toast, hopefully an easy fix!!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

So much for the easy fix I got under the car today and there was fluid dripping from the bell housing. I got all the air out of the lines but still no peddle pressure. I'm thinking the slave cylinder may be gone? Any input would be appreciated????

Quick Reply: Spec 3 engagement issues after 9k miles