Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad water-related misfire need ideas please..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad water-related misfire need ideas please..

I have a water-related misfire.

It first happened when I washed the engine compartment for a car show. I was very careful with it...the car sat all night in a dry garage and the next morning, ran like absolute crap for the 15 minute drive there, no SES light. After it sat all day in the hot sun it was fine.

Today it was pouring like crazy, horrible, horrible shaking-like-a-*****-in-church misfire. Flashing SES light and all (multiple cylinder misfire obviously).

When I got home I popped the hood and looked for something obvious, it appears nothing is getting wet, every piece of the ignition system was dry...there was a small bit of water puddled around the fuel injectors but that should be of no concern, correct?

Anyone else have this problem? Only when it rains.

My car -->> airlid/headers/ls6intake/ORY/catback car.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

When I first got my car from a dealer, they had sprayed it down with a hose. It was (and still is) very clean under the hood. I was really worried, but it hasn't caused a problem in the four months that I've owned it. So, I don't know.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check in by the pcm, make sure everything is well connected. I guess you could also check your ignition system just for piece of mind. My money is on the pcm getting wet.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

bump its not the pcm
Old 10-06-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

intake manifold? id also pull the fuel rails, wipe them off as well as the intake and see if it helps.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

I guess the easiest way to find out what is wrong would be to let everything dry off and then start up the car. When it is running normally start spraying things with a hose and see what makes it run rough.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Pull off the plug wires and check and make sure they are dry, along with the harness that connects to the coil pack assembly. Then try the injector harnesses - they have these little blue rubber seals that go inside the harness to keep out moisture, but they are very easy to lose or have fall off when you pull the harness off the injector. Without the seal it would be easy for water to get up in there. So if someone was working on the car at some point, its possible they may have lost one of the seals and just plugged it in without it - i know because I lost one doing my head swap and never bothered to replace it.

If its missfiring it should be either the fuel or the spark.

Then after that, check all the electrical connections for the vital sensors - MAF, cam position, MAP, etc. Sounds like something got wet, but eventually it should dry out.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like plug wires.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i'd check all of the underhood fuses. no ****, its happened before that rain shorted out a MAF and the car never acted right due to a 10 cent fuse ant time for the PCM to relearn back to normal. does it act wierd in open loop and closed loop or just closed? Is it even getting to closed loop? if you guys have a non manufacturer specific scan tool at your shop, i'd look in to those issues. like I said though, check those fuses.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

I am looking towards the o2 sensors.

The car drives great for the first minute or two, when it is in open loop. The very second it goes closed, it runs like ****. Watching the o2 sensors with a scan tool, you can see that the passenger side o2 isn't moving at all. I've got to put the car in the air tomorrow to fix my banging y-pipe; it is feasible that the o2 died (car has 82k miles) or the wiring may have suffered some damage.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

you did kinda recently did a header install right? it could be one of the extensions burnt or the o2 just fouled up...u use tunercats right?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

I put the headers on about 1,000 miles ago. When I put the clutch in a couple weeks ago everything appeared to be in order with the o2's (i.e. nothing was burnt). I did make my own extensions however so maybe they got soaked and now just aren't working correctly...or like I said it's possible it was just a coincidence being that the car has 82k miles on it.

Yes I use tunercats. I am going to try and see if I can make it stay in open loop until I get a sensor (which may be tomorrow or next week depending on if they are in stock).