Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

is your monsoon head unit display messed up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is your monsoon head unit display messed up?

This is a P.I.T.A. as you can't tell the station your on or what track of your CD your playing ... and forget about what time it is Many have had them replace under warranty ... a couple times, but with our cars aging and warranties expired or expiring soon this won't be an option soon. This is a relatively simple problem to fix if you have a working knowledge of soldering principles and decent ability to disassemble (and reassemble ) things. I did a leangthy ... maybe somewhat confusing write up here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/388963-monsoon-display.html
If alot of you are having this same problem I can do a better write up so it's a little more straight forward and understandable.

As I said if there is someone in Wichita Falls or surrounding area thats' having this problem it would save me from having to rip mine apart for no reason (and get your fixed in the mean time )
Old 10-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Mine is doing that! And i hardly even drive the car! I will have to take it to work and fix it, I have all the tools to do that sort of thing at work. thanks for the write up.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMFormula
Mine is doing that! .
I know it's a very common problem from what I'm seeing just wanted to do what I could to save the folks that didn't want o buy a new head unit and save some $$$.

And i hardly even drive the car!
It's not a "mileage" thing but more a temprature thing (.. heat then cold then heat ... car out in the sun then A/C .. winter summer) that creates the cold solder joints
I will have to take it to work and fix it,I have all the tools to do that sort of thing at work.
Let me know how it goes and if you have some input that might be easier to go by PM me or post up becouse I was writing that write up just off memory, which isn't all that reliable if you know what I mean

thanks for the write up.

Last edited by joe_kool315; 10-17-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Launching!

yea i have this problem, i think im gonna try it. 200+ bucks for a new deck doesnt sound too good right now
Old 10-17-2005, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

redfbird99 - if you arent familiar with soldering ... espicially on PCB's (printed Circuit Boards) then you might ask around to some of your friends.

would hate to end up with NO display or .. worse yet NO radio and have to buy aftermarket radio
Old 10-19-2005, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

redfirebird found the last repair date on his was just this past January so he's getting his fixed by the floks that do the factory repairs .. NICE!

For those of you not so lucky this fix is the next best thing... so TTT
Old 10-19-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone needs a 2002 Moonsoon HU w/CD player.........4 sale

First thing I did was change out the OEM system.....has less than 10 hours on it!

Speakers are already gone, and all that is left is the HU.

Somebody make me an offer (back room clearance sale) (lol)

$60 and U pay shipping
Old 10-20-2005, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Yep, that's the reason I replaced my Monsoon.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firehawk526
If anyone needs a 2002 Moonsoon HU w/CD player.........4 sale
Where do you live? I might get it .. and start a "swap out" type fix service for the folks that can't/don't know how/don't have the tools for a few bucks.

of course everything else would have to be opertaing 100%... no CD skipping ECT I don't want to have to replace any lazer pickups as thery're THE most expensive part in the head unit
Old 10-20-2005, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by steele
Yep, that's the reason I replaced my Monsoon.
well that's one reason I posted this up ... a cheap, relatively easy fix for those that can't afford a quality replacement that'll stack up to the performance of the monsoon or ... that want to keep the factory look of their cars.

FWIW .. the factory system IS a "good" sounding system over all. not going to rattle any windows but can crank out some ozzy, metallica, eagles or toby kieth with the best of them If you listen to that (as my grandma used to called it) bee-bopity ... it might be a little lacking but it's pretty easy to add some bottom w/ a stealth box or similar. I've even fit a 15" MTX in a truck box that fit PERFECTLY on the space behind the rear seat between the speakers on the deck and lined up just right witht he top of the seat (still going to kick my bros' azz for sellin it )
Old 10-20-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just don't overload the EQ and volume gains to achieve the listening level you seek, especially w/windows down. This seems to blow those speakers due to over-modulation. I can't tell you how many ppl have blown speakers, and this seems to be one of the major reasons, plus 500 watts driving (10) speakers IS NOT a great deal of power.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Not a great deal of power true, but for us that are not quite as young as we used to be, just a few notches above half way up is pretty much "crankin it". I did however, blow my sail panels the other day but speaker upgrade don't affect the factory "look"
Old 10-20-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

A muscle car w/o a crankin' stereo........ridiculous, but for the NORMAL listener, I would agree!

Just like, "why not drop a 12bolt instead of 10bolt?"

GM cut corners IMO, and the Stereo was no exception.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

I just found some 6W0's for the sail and a "stealth" type box with a kicker comp vr (something I don't know just yet) 10" sub for the cubby in the back so my "quiet" days are numbered.

TTT for the display issues ... Let me know if anyone has questions
Old 10-23-2005, 04:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_kool315
redfbird99 - if you arent familiar with soldering ... espicially on PCB's (printed Circuit Boards) then you might ask around to some of your friends.

would hate to end up with NO display or .. worse yet NO radio and have to buy aftermarket radio

you say that as if getting an aftermarket head unit would be a bad thing.....

it's the best thing i ever did to any of my factory "sound systems".
Old 10-23-2005, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
you say that as if getting an aftermarket head unit would be a bad thing.....

it's the best thing i ever did to any of my factory "sound systems".

NO WAY man ... aftermarket stereo's ARE great... some now days are absolutely ASTOUNDING! But along with that comes the astounding BILL that some of us need to put towards our kids band instrament or GAS to get back and fourth to work with todays gas prices

I just offered this as a fix for those wanting to say with the monsoon either for the "stock look" reasons or the "pocket book" reasons
Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Still getting PM's on this so Bringin it back to the top ... Like I said it's a pretty simple process as long as you know your way around electronics and soldering. or atleast have a clue LOL

The next one of these I do I'll do a write up with pics and step by step that can be "stickied" if a mod so wishes

Quick Reply: is your monsoon head unit display messed up?