Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out my breather set up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Check out my breather set up.

I posted this in external engines but thought you guys might want to see it too.
Well on my last motor i had the small air compressor air/water seperator as a catch can mod and it was working pretty good.
BUT i belive the rings in this motor are shot cause i have MASSIVE blow by and it fudged up my front and rear seals with the same catch can set up. so i decided to ditch the catch can and put a breather on. I saw the Metco one for $40 and said i'm not payin $40 for a damn breather. so i looked up breathers in summit and found thw ones that clamp onto a 1.5" tube for $12 a piece. I didn't wanna wait so i went to my local speed shop and picked up a couple for $30 all the had was the ones with the chrome cover half way around the filter wich i promptly chopped off (i'm not inyto bling and thats more dead weight).
I had some extra valve covers that were painted black and had holes from someone trying to do the same thing but they messed them up. So i filled the holes and then welded some 1.5" tubes on them. I wish they weren't black but instead of trying to take all the paint off i just re painted where i welded.
How do they look?
Attached Thumbnails Check out my breather set up.-92851831429_3300.jpg   Check out my breather set up.-92851953413_3300.jpg  
Old 10-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Motorboater

just like the one i bought from speed inc and slapped on my passenger side valve cover in about 2.5 seconds. to each their own I guess
Old 10-21-2005, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one from Speed Inc is $44.99... Is that for one or for two?

If it's $45 a piece, then I think the Moroso/do it yourself route is better for the budget minded...
Old 10-21-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a noticeable smell from that much open venting?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

How did you mess up your engine with the catch can? I'm not following...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by 1_Bad_LS1
The one from Speed Inc is $44.99... Is that for one or for two?

If it's $45 a piece, then I think the Moroso/do it yourself route is better for the budget minded...
eh i have no idea. they are my sponsor so i didn't pay anywhere near that. i didn't know they were that much retail cost. still seems like a lot of work to save 15 bucks, creative and I give mad props, but alot of work.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phil99TA
Is there a noticeable smell from that much open venting?

Only if you have poor ring seal
Old 10-21-2005, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah my rings are shot but i can barely sometimes smell it on the highway. and iu did two breathers so thats a $60 savings not $15. And then i would need another passenger side valve cover, and those screw in bereathers sit pretty tall.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
9 Second Club

It is not sucking any crankcase fumes out though. It is just letting it vent alittle. IMO it is definitely better to pull from your header or your intake to get the proper venalation. Or a drysump/vacum pump setup of some kind. This is what I did.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah a drysump/vacum pump set up would be best but this aint a race car.
And correct me if i'm wrong but it being hooked up to the intake doesn't really pull a vacum either. the PCV valve closes when there is vacum and opens when there isn't, so its really just venting into the motor.
Using a vacume of some sort to get the ventilatrion is alot better but doesn't it waste alot more oil like that too? and thats why theyre only on race cars.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

I mainly did this to keep this motor from blowing out the seals again. i'll probably re ring it or get another when i throw a cam in it.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:15 AM
9 Second Club NA

Can you give me some more info on this? Right now, I have the stock LS1 PCV system with a AMW catch can. A local member recommended me tonight to get rid of the system and put a breather on it, but wasn't really sure what he was talking about, is this the same thing?
Old 10-22-2005, 03:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Can you give me some more info on this? Right now, I have the stock LS1 PCV system with a AMW catch can. A local member recommended me tonight to get rid of the system and put a breather on it, but wasn't really sure what he was talking about, is this the same thing?
yup. most people just buy the Metco breather but i thought $45 for a breather was a touch much.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Yeah a drysump/vacum pump set up would be best but this aint a race car.
And correct me if i'm wrong but it being hooked up to the intake doesn't really pull a vacum either. the PCV valve closes when there is vacum and opens when there isn't, so its really just venting into the motor.
Using a vacume of some sort to get the ventilatrion is alot better but doesn't it waste alot more oil like that too? and thats why theyre only on race cars.
OK. I'll (hopefully humbly)correct you. The PCV valve is a "valve" that controls the amount of vaccum that can be pulled thru it. It is a controlled, restriction type device. The amount of restriction or flow is controlled by the size/shape and design of the valve. When there is a vaccum pulling on the valve, the plunger inside is sucked down against an orifice that only lets a controlled amount of air through the valve at a certain rate. The pcv valve is NOT completely closed when vaccum is acting on it. When no vaccum is acting on the PCV valve it is open completely and lets vapors vent out. Keeping the PCV, plugging the factory fresh air hose and inlet and then adding a breather is a good cheap alternative for a better breathing/ventilating crankcase. Keep the catch can too. Now your fresh air at high vaccum is being pulled in thru the breather and at low vaccum the fumes/pressure escape much easier thru the breather. The catch can will trap any remaining oil vapor that could foul your combustion chambers.
I ran straight breathers and no PCV for a while and started developing a lot of milky, sludgy gunk under my breathers. This was due to inadequate ventilation of crankcase fumes and moisture(condensation). This is terrible for your engine and can ruin bearings and such due to acidy buildups. Even if it's just a race car, no street time, you still should run some type of active ventilation. Like GuessWho said, run a header evac system or something.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club NA

Dustin Butts, so you're saying I'd be better off leaving my stock LS1 PCV system with my AMW catchcan as opposed to doing away with it and putting a breather on it?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Leave the PCV system and catch can but use either the LS6 style to pull from under the intake or fix it where you are pulling from the drivers side valve cover only. Block all PCV draw from the passenger side valve cover. Also block the factory fresh air intake. Now put the breather in place of your oil fill cap.
Your PCV system will now be pulling fresh filtered air in thru the breather down thru the engine and up and out the other valve cover, metered by the PCV valve, oil fumes and mist will be caught by the catch can and the dirty but oiless air sucked into the intake and burned during combustion. Plus you get a much better pressure release area(due to the breather) under WOT and when you rapidly close the throttle blades after WOT. It's been working awesome for me for a long time now.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dustin Butts
Leave the PCV system and catch can but use either the LS6 style to pull from under the intake or fix it where you are pulling from the drivers side valve cover only. Block all PCV draw from the passenger side valve cover. Also block the factory fresh air intake. Now put the breather in place of your oil fill cap.
Your PCV system will now be pulling fresh filtered air in thru the breather down thru the engine and up and out the other valve cover, metered by the PCV valve, oil fumes and mist will be caught by the catch can and the dirty but oiless air sucked into the intake and burned during combustion. Plus you get a much better pressure release area(due to the breather) under WOT and when you rapidly close the throttle blades after WOT. It's been working awesome for me for a long time now.
I am going to do this it just sounds like it will work.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
I am going to do this it just sounds like it will work.
Actually if you do that you will be sucking alot of unmetered air (air that doesn't go thru the MAF) at idle. this would cause it to be lean at idle. it wouldn't be as big a problem at WOT. But i'de at least moniter it.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Check my idea below i think it might work if im missing anything please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Check out my breather set up.-pcv.jpg  
Old 11-14-2005, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Check my idea below i think it might work if im missing anything please let me know.
below where?

Quick Reply: Check out my breather set up.