PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I wait or pull the trigger (EFI-live/HP-tuners ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I wait or pull the trigger (EFI-live/HP-tuners ?

I'm ready to get some tuning software and I'm torn with my two most logical choices (EFI-live and HP-tuners) and the fact that I keep hearing about "big" changes in the next month or so for one or both companys.

To tell the truth if they were the same cost I think EFI-live sounds like it would be a no brainer but when I factor in that that HP-tuners is cheaper and sounds like it does about the same thing it seems to be the way to go.
I wish HP-tuners had a downloadable working version I could play with like EFI-live.. that would make the decision so much easyer.

So should I wait to buy or just toss a coin and get one ? my head hurts

Any input greatly appreciated..
Old 10-23-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

All comes down to opinion, although HPT really upped the competition with putting out 2.0.

Read through the stickies and decide what will best suit your needs.

I've been using HP Tuners and have never had any problems. I'm sure EFI-Live users will say the same thing.

I'd see if you can find someone that lives close to you who has HPT2.0 and see for yourself which way you should go.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:25 PM
FormerVendor

Also remember that EFILive offers black box logging whic can log up to 23 minutes of data, both are great packages but I choose to go with EFILive for numerous reasons
Old 10-23-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since HPT released v2.0, it is much better and a cinch to use. I have logged hours with HPT and the histograms will sift throught the data and help you go in the right direction. HPT will produce up to 8 histograms and they are configurable. If you get the HPT, get the EIO. This way you log a wideband AFR gauge with the rest of the data being collected by HPT. I think since v2.0 is out, HPT is a no brainer.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 PM
FormerVendor

EFILive logs 10 histograms and can log hours of data also. The histograms are fully configurable and easy to setup. You prolly allready know this since you dloaded the demo version, so I guess you are back to square one
Old 10-23-2005, 10:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Also remember HP Tuners is also adding ford and dodge support to its lineup as well.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Ugg, this is not making it easy.. What about the merge with EFI-live and SuperChips, is this going to be something worth waiting for ?
HumpinSS what is that in your sig ?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know about HP tuners, but Flashcsan just totaly Rocks! I love the auto VE feature and black box logging,no more bulky computer, press a button and start logging.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPO_Z06
Ugg, this is not making it easy.. What about the merge with EFI-live and SuperChips

HP Tuners and Superchips are the ones with the agreement... it's not a merger... HP Tuners is still a seperate company...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.p...num=1128046200

With the way this market is right now... there are new things coming out all the time... so if you wait 2 years there will be something better then than there is now....

I've used HP Tuners since they came out in April or so 2004... I use it w/both my GTP and my TA ... one thing I love w/HP Tuners is the licensing... I tune alot of friends cars for free .... yesterday we had a track rental... and I adjusted shift points on two peoples cars, did a crank relearn on another, did some fuel adjustments on another, and did some tuning tweaks to my GTP ... w/HPT when you buy the license... it's for any car that is that vehicle type/year.... so I didn't need a license for each person I helped...

HP Tuners 2.0 is really awesome... layed out very well.... download the help file on www.hptuners.com to see what's new in 2.0 2.0 also includes how to guides (submitted by enthusiasts, approved by HP Tuners)
Old 10-23-2005, 11:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The partnership is between HP Tuners and Superchips.

What this partnership brings to you is the addition of Ford and Dodge applications to VCM Suite and many other neat features.

Check out this thread for some screenshots of HP Tuners VCM Suite 2.0:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/397797-post-your-favorite-hp-tuners-vcm-suite-2-0-screenshots.html

Imagine using the same piece of software and hardware to be able to tune your 02 Trans Am one day and then your buddies 05 Mustang or Dodge Hemi the next day.

That is what HP Tuners is bringing to the community.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

For comparing LS1 based products, EFI Live is my personal choice. I have had all three programs and live is hands down the easiest and most versitle program on the market. EFI Live offers custom operating systems that are updated frequently with new tables and parameters designed for us that are ALWAYS free. 1Bar/2Bar/3Bar support is free with no additional fees. The licensing will depend on what the customer wants. With Live you can download the tune from any supported OS they have without using a license to see what has been done or what may need to be done before you get started.

HumpinSS's sig shows the new V2 Interface that live is going to release. It is going to change a lot of ways on how tuning is done. That coupled with the new V8, things are really going to get interesting....
Old 10-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

At the beginning of this year I was faced with the same choice. The old HP Tuners or EFILive question.

I chose EFILive for a number of reasons:
- Licensing scheme better suited my intended use of the product
- Commercial edition allows full flash capability, and more importantly FREE access to EFILive Custom Operating Systems allowing dual spark Speed Density tuning, and also 2/3 bar for those FI guys. And all this for a tiny $150 upgrade cost over Personal.
- I like the interface a lot better, and I still like it a lot better than what I have seen of HPT 2.0.

But, the biggest benefit of EFILive is something that I had not bargained on! The support given from Paul and Ross (producers of the product and interface etc.) is second to none. They are constantly posting replies to questions in user land, as well as aggressively developing the product. EFILive users have been treated to several pretty serious enhancement this year alone, and there is A LOT more to come

The other users on the EFILive forums are also amazing, willing to help out people with general and some pretty specific tuning questions etc. The EFILive community is basically AMAZING!

Bottom line, EFILive IMO is easily head and shoulders above any other product out there!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:15 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got to say...now with HPT 2.0...Its a fair game...EFI does not have anything "up" on HPT, and with the new interfaces from HPT coming out soon to do Fords and Dodges soon...hands down you win with HPT....
and you can do unlimited vehicles(must have liscenses for vehicle type) for less money than with EFI.
sure 1bar and 2 bar is extra..but teh unlimited liscense is still less than EFI doing each car for $99..would you rather pay $50 for 1 bar SD per car that you already have a liscene for(and if you dont need 1 bar then you dont have any extra money to spend) or $99 per car no matter what...
and now HPT is free updates for life too :b
you can open and view any tune just like EFI can with HPT....

and you can do a full write on any liscensed vehicle type you have with just the basic VCM Suite Pro...
no need to buy a "higher than standard" version to do this task
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I've got to say...now with HPT 2.0...Its a fair game...EFI does not have anything "up" on HPT, and with the new interfaces from HPT coming out soon to do Fords and Dodges soon...hands down you win with HPT....
and you can do unlimited vehicles(must have liscenses for vehicle type) for less money than with EFI.
sure 1bar and 2 bar is extra..but teh unlimited liscense is still less than EFI doing each car for $99..would you rather pay $50 for 1 bar SD per car that you already have a liscene for(and if you dont need 1 bar then you dont have any extra money to spend) or $99 per car no matter what...
and now HPT is free updates for life too :b
you can open and view any tune just like EFI can with HPT....

and you can do a full write on any liscensed vehicle type you have with just the basic VCM Suite Pro...
no need to buy a "higher than standard" version to do this task
I personally feel that with the custom operating systems (not all designed for FI vehicles) that is one up on HPT. Regarding the ability to open and view any tune just like Live does, this is false (correct me if I am wrong). HPT can only view *hpt,*.bin format files, live can only view *.tun/*.bin files. Each has their own "format" they save in that can only be viewed by the corresponding program. I was refering to the fact that I can take my Live cable and hook it up to ANY car they support, connect, and read the pcm without using a license. I don't believe HPT can do this due to the license structure.

Both programs offer the same end results, its just how you get there that is up to you. There are some things that HPT has that Live doesn't and vice versa. Lives scanner is more functional the HPTs, but HPTs compare feature is better then Lives. You are going to have trade offs from one program to another and depending on YOUR personal preference, that is how you should make your decision. Take a min and look at both products and decide what is best for YOU, not what we tell you we prefer. Each person is different. If you don't think you will tune anyone's car besides yours, then the license portion doesn't apply, if so, then that is something you need to consider. I don't feel lives license structure is bad at all. I don't tune peoples cars for free. I could make more money if I didn't have to pay for a license, but its not all about the money, its about what I like and perfer. You need to decide what is best for you in your situtation.

I feel a major downfall to HPT is the fact you can't "test drive" the product. I have never bought anything that I can't try first to see if I like it and never will. When I originally bought HPT before I sold it for live, I was able to see the program from someone else. After using it I found it wasn't suited for me and the lack of support made me switch.

Keith/Ken/Chris - Why not make a "demo" version that people can download to help the users decide what they like?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A demo version is already in the plans..

Believe me we want everyone to see what HP Tuners VCM Suite 2.0 has to offer over the competition.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great thread.
is HP tuners suite 2.0 already out? The way its being talked about i assume its not?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Junkie

No after the long delay it is out now.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Magnus
A demo version is already in the plans..

Believe me we want everyone to see what HP Tuners VCM Suite 2.0 has to offer over the competition.
This would make things a lot easyer..
Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

Also these guys forgot to mention that Live will soon be supporting the Duramax Diesel which in now in its beta stages. For a 1 bar SD car I still dont feel the 50.00 bux is worth it. The Custom OS's Live offeres gives you the ability to run a lean cruise type setup for bettr fuel economy and they do this WITHOUT BREAKING THE LAW. No more patched Os's or users running around trying to edit their own bins and recalculating checksums which may end up in a dead PCM if not done right If we are talking two bar cars there is no comparison its 99.00 for a licesnse in Live and 299.00 for a license in HPT and this is on a per car basis. 1 bar debatable 2 bar no question its Live hands down. We can go back and forth all day about which product has the edge over the other but at the end of the day none of us matter its how you feel about the product you are purchasing and whether you felt it was money well spent. Both products WILL get the job done, there is no doubt about that.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with horist in that if you wait a month, 6 months or a year things are going to change one way or the other for both hpt & efi live...everybody has already brought up all the points I can think of...my 02 on it is I bought hpt over a year ago & am very happy with it for the most part. With the new usb stuff on its way thats only a plus, not to mention the ford/chrysler support coming. Also the licensing has always been an attraction to me being year/model locked and not vin locked. Have fun making your choice

Quick Reply: Should I wait or pull the trigger (EFI-live/HP-tuners ?