PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast XFI or Big stuff 3 tunning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:17 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fast XFI or Big stuff 3 tunning?

I was wanting imput from people curently tunning or that have used them for tunning. Witch one is easiest to tune and what kind of problems did you have with them. How long did it take to get the tune where you wanted it etc... What was the setup time for the operateing system and how long of an install time was required for each. Please specify if you have the older version of fast or the new XFI. Cost would be the next question and who you purchased it from. Thanks!
Jeff
Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an older FAST on my big block, and a BS3 on my LS1. Some of the comparisons aren't relevant because of the differences in the engine configuration.

The BS3 certainly installed easily, with an LS1 specific harness, well-labeled connectors and pretty clear instructions. Haven't installed the XFI for LS1.

The software for the XFI looks almost identical to the software for the old FAST. It is pretty straightforward to use. The BS3 software is generally quite similar - if you understand how to use one of them, learning the other is easy. I was able to get a pretty close fuel and spark map on my BS3 with about 90 minutes of time on a DynoJet with the brake option (to hold a steady load on the wheels). I think it would have been just about identical amounts of time on the FAST software. Remember, the same guy (John Meany) was responsible for designing the software for both units.

Some more minor points: The BS3 currently does not support LS1 knock sensors (not sure about the XFI). The BS3 has more flexible configuration of injector timing. The XFI documentation (currently online) seems somewhat clearer and better organized than the BS3 docs. The XFI has more general configurable outputs (for triggering things like shift lights or purge solenoids).

If I were to choose today, it would be a close call, and I think I'd be happy with either unit.

... edit ...

One thing I forgot, is the XFI has switchable configurations. That could come in very useful for some things, and might tip the balance.

Last edited by 71CamaroLS1; 10-25-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:35 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Thank for the imput that is the type stuff I wanted to hear I too am having a hard time deciding what would be a better system to deal with. The BS3 seems a little more expensive but not by a ton. I was told to set your AF ratios for idle, part throttle , and WO throttle, and in approximately 8 miles it would have you dialed in real close, this is on the Fast system, with a WB to monitor the AF.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a guy with the new FAST setup and he has nothing but good to say about it.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:55 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

The BS3 looks like it has so many more options that come standard, and seems like it would be a lot nicer. But I don't know of anyone using it as of right now.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used the BS3 on a LS1 and the early FAST system. I have not used the XFI yet. I was looking at some pricing today and the FAST is more money to get a basic kit to run a Gen3.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Inspector12
The BS3 looks like it has so many more options that come standard, and seems like it would be a lot nicer. But I don't know of anyone using it as of right now.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:01 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I have used the BS3 on a LS1 and the early FAST system. I have not used the XFI yet. I was looking at some pricing today and the FAST is more money to get a basic kit to run a Gen3.
Yeah I have been comparing prices on different things and it seems that I can still get a better deal on the fast by about $1000. I don't know if it is that nobody wants to knock off a few dollars on the BS3 or if the discount to the dealers is not as good as with the fast stuff. Got quoted @$3000 for a complete setup for an 02 with the wiring to keep the factory gauges working witch was an additional $500+. I had a quote of $1900 for a comperable XFI Fast system with data loging and WB02, and a harsess to do the same. If we were talking about 2-$300 no big deal you just go with the one that is the best in your opinon, but $1100 is a big difference. What are your thoughts on that KURT since you are a dealer for BS3? not trying to put you on the spot just wanting some imput from your point of view as a dealer. If you don't want to disscuss priceing here just PM me please. Oh by the way I called you (Kurt) the other day and you weren't around so the quote on the BS3 wasn't from you.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For future reference, just tell the young lady who answers the phone you need a price and she will get you to the right person.
For price comparison I will use retail. Normally there are some bargains to be had, but this gives a close cost comparison. The quote here is for LS engine, not sure what engine you have. We are a FAST and BS3 dealer.
BS3 004-003 Pro SEFI system for LS1 2,295.00 Includes everything (harness/box) to plug and play.
FAST 014-4000 ECU-XFI 2,061.25
014-5003 Main Harness/LS1 436.25
014-6005 injector harness/LS1 148.75
014-7011 ignition adapter harness LS1 411.25
014-8013 fan and fuel pump control harness 56.25
This would be everything to plug and play. total: 3113.75

Now to run the factory dash is case by case thing, although the wiring for either box to adapt would be the same.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Inspector12
Yeah I have been comparing prices on different things and it seems that I can still get a better deal on the fast by about $1000. I don't know if it is that nobody wants to knock off a few dollars on the BS3 or if the discount to the dealers is not as good as with the fast stuff. Got quoted @$3000 for a complete setup for an 02 with the wiring to keep the factory gauges working witch was an additional $500+. I had a quote of $1900 for a comperable XFI Fast system with data loging and WB02, and a harsess to do the same. If we were talking about 2-$300 no big deal you just go with the one that is the best in your opinon, but $1100 is a big difference. What are your thoughts on that KURT since you are a dealer for BS3? not trying to put you on the spot just wanting some imput from your point of view as a dealer. If you don't want to disscuss priceing here just PM me please. Oh by the way I called you (Kurt) the other day and you weren't around so the quote on the BS3 wasn't from you.

Quick Reply: Fast XFI or Big stuff 3 tunning?