Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any reason NOT to use a BOV w/ my turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any reason NOT to use a BOV w/ my turbo?

Hey, all...

PTK install is next week ; mine came with the mitsu bypass valve instead of a BOV. I'm thinking Tial 50 mm BOV should go on there instead of a bypass.

Is there any downside to this?

Car will be: 1998 M6, PTK air-to-air, T67s, boost-regulated methanol injection, through AFR 225's 72cc to a stock bottom end 346. Probably ~8-10 psi. Retaining MAF, LS1edit tuning. Targets are 550-600 rwhp and rwtq.

Thanks for any opinions... also if there's another BOV that would be more appropriate, please recommend. Need to buy it RIGHT NOW!

Thanks,

Rich
Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know if you want a 50mm Tial.

They are $225 new.

You would need a flange (available at ATPturbo.com and various other shops for $35)

So how bout $150

If you add in tax if you buy new that's a $50 savings.

It's the blue anodized one.

Works perfectly, very little useage. I went with a much quieter one.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Shouldn't be any reason not to put it on, it makes a cool sound. The need for them was for back in the day, when you let off, your really still in boost, and all the boost had no where to go, so it went back thru the turbo, not good. Now though, the turbos can take it. The only question I have, is if its vented to the atmosphere, will it run worse then back to the intake? My friend just recently put one on his DSM and stock, they are vented back to the intake, now his is to the atmosphere, ricer! Therefore, it runs like crap because the MAF reads all that air coming in, and when the BOV vents the air out, the computer doesn't know that, thus making the car run rich. So I've always wondering if it would be ok on a non turbo car that you turboed, such as your TA. Hopefully someone else will chime in here, but yes I would put one on, wether to vent it to the atmosphere or intake, I can't help ya, only tell you which one is louder!
Old 11-03-2005, 07:34 PM
NKAWTG...N

Red, that is why it is recommended to put your BOV before the maf. Off the top of my head I can't think of a car using a MAF tune with the BOV behind the maf. But I would still recommend having a BOV on your turbo setup than going without one. Anything that extends the life of a 700 dolla snail is worth it my book.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No downside to it if your tuning can be compensated. With a bypass this doesn't not need addressing.

JZ
Old 11-05-2005, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have the same question pretty much, so this isn't really jacking...

I just got all of my PTK kit and it has a bypass rather than BOV. I have an M6 if it matters. Since it is a draw-through setup I don't know where the hell it could go... Am I fine keeping the bypass that the kit has... or basically, what do I need to do here? Thanks alot.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt^^
Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

"With a bypass this doesn't not need addressing."

Jose, apparently you've been listening to too much GW Bush! All kidding aside, I don't know what you mean. For us, we're under the impression that a bypass and a BOV operate differently, and we'd like to know which would operate best with the PTK... and where exactly to position the valve. Conventional wisdom here seems to support using a BOV with any turbo setup. What about positioning it between turbo and intercooler?

As always, very appreciative for your input and expertise...

Rich
Old 11-08-2005, 10:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A blow off vents pressure to the atmosphere when engine goes from positive manifold pressure to vacume. A by pass does the same except it re routs it to the intake side of the turbo, or blower. The bad thing about this is that it raises IAT's. The good things are. Its cheaper and easier for the everyday Joe or mr. dyno tuner to tune. So as you see it was offered in the kit to make your life eaiser and more trouble free. Is it as good a blow off venting to the atmosphere. Well I do not think so because of the lower IAT's to be had with venting the warm air. Allthough its not right for everyone.

Thus the by-pass offered in the kit, probibly a well though out idea that PTK decided to put in there kits.

TJ
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

hellbents, thanks for chiming in.

When tuning a turbo car with a MAF in LS1edit, which parameters need to be addressed for bypass vs. BOV setups? Can I assume that there's no difference when we're talking about WOT, since both valves are only actuated by manifold vacuum condition?

Thanks for any thoughts...