Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-speed w/ a 114lsa

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-speed w/ a 114lsa

How much power am I really giving up by going to a 114lsa from a 112. I'm trying to get an idea so I can weigh the benefits of the 114(smoother idle, less emissions) and the downsides(lower power, but how much lower).

Basically what I'm after is same or less overlap as what I've got now (5) mainly to get an idle that doesn't smell so "rich". I also want a smoother idle as well, w/ the 114 comes better driveability naturally, eventhough tuning takes care of driveability in the end (my 111lsa drives damn well around parking lots and town).

So here are my two options I've narrowed it down to:

FM13 230/232 .595/.589 114lsa OverLap: 3
FM11 228/230 .576/.595 112lsa OverLap: 5 same as tr230

The main reason for this post is trying to conclude that the FM13 will produce more power than the FM11. Or to disprove that, and lead me to buying the FM11 on a 112, which I've heard the idle of and am happy w/ the sound of it.

What affect does advance have on the 114lsa? I know w/ the 112 it's supposed to move the peak power down in the rpm band. so a +4 will peak lower in the band than a +2. Is that true for the 114 as well, b/c I read somewhere that A4's pick 114lsa's with less advance. Is that b/c of the trans. diff, or b/c of the different lsa? I'm assuming it has to do w/ the trans. in which case for a 6speed. Whats the ideal advance on a 114 cam?

Sorry for the lengthy post and sorry in advance if its confusing. But thats about 10 times more straightforward than all the thoughts going around in my head right now trying to pick the next right cam for me.

TIA
Old 11-06-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Your TR 230 should not be rich at idle. That is one of the best flatcurve producing cams around.

IMO, You should look for heads, tighter quench, and better tune.
Changing to the other 2 cams is pointless. Why would you want to sacrifice that awsome trq down low the TR has.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to a Catted Y/Catback setup this winter. Pending a dyno after the new exhaust, I expect a pretty nice drop in power and torque b/c of the more restrictive exhaust compared to what I've got now.
Rich at idle, is b/c my tune was thrown off when my set screw on the TB was adjusted to lower my IAC's and I haven't gotten the idle tune updated. I know that will be cured with a tune.
But the whole reason I picked the tr230 was b/c of my current exhaust setup (very free flowing) ...

I don't have money for heads, and really ... don't have the urge to put heads on the car now or ever really. I'm so i'm just looking at a cam that has alil more generous exhaust side duration. Should the 230 get choked by the new exhaust setup (even though it's being planned to be max. flow)

If, when the new exhaust is on, I don't get as big of a drop in power as I'm expecting... then the 230 will stay in the car. I'm just scoping out the next best option if the exhaust chokes the cam.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

split pattern would be the best imo for catted y
Old 11-07-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Your TR 230 should not be rich at idle. That is one of the best flatcurve producing cams around.

IMO, You should look for heads, tighter quench, and better tune.
Changing to the other 2 cams is pointless. Why would you want to sacrifice that awsome trq down low the TR has.
I second his motion.

By the way, nice car, man.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
.......I'm going to a Catted Y/Catback setup this winter. Pending a dyno after the new exhaust, I expect a pretty nice drop in power and torque b/c of the more restrictive exhaust compared to what I've got now..........
Depending WHAT cats and catback you use, I doubt you will lose much if any torque. It might well increase your overall torque numbers. At the least, it will have you producing max torque a couple hundred RPM's sooner....which isn't a bad thing if you spend most of the time on the street. I agree you will lose some top end HP. No cats and true duals are helping make good HP gains for ya.

BTW, I'm running aftermarket cats with LT's. I've run ORY pipes too, and personally I think streetability was better w/ cats. Less resonance, LESS FUEL SMELL on my TR224 cam, and better low-end torque. Just my $0.02.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schantin
Depending WHAT cats and catback you use, I doubt you will lose much if any torque. It might well increase your overall torque numbers. At the least, it will have you producing max torque a couple hundred RPM's sooner....which isn't a bad thing if you spend most of the time on the street. I agree you will lose some top end HP. No cats and true duals are helping make good HP gains for ya.

BTW, I'm running aftermarket cats with LT's. I've run ORY pipes too, and personally I think streetability was better w/ cats. Less resonance, LESS FUEL SMELL on my TR224 cam, and better low-end torque. Just my $0.02.
Yea, I'm getting the Random Tech. 7000 Race Bullet cats, custom Ypipe that will be made from mandrel bends cut to fit up to a flow master merge (2.5 into 3outlet) and then the Hooker catback which flows decently and will keep me from letting my whole apt complex that I'm leaving in the mornings when I turn on the car along w/ settin off a few alarms. Like i said before, I am planning/building the Catted Y setup to get the best flow and least restriction to try and keep the tr230 in there. But if the reverse split pattern falls flat on its face with the new exhaust setup, I want a back up plan that I can fall back on right away.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds good, but why not go catted dual with X pipe.
I'll bet you that with that exhaust and a good tune, you'll will better the numbers you have now.

BTW I have a reverse split and even with a 150 dry shot (magnaflow cats, custom Y and Magnaflow muff), ~ 580rwhp, I only lost 5 rwhp and gained 7 trq VS ORY/Hooker setup.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Sounds good, but why not go catted dual with X pipe.
I'll bet you that with that exhaust and a good tune, you'll will better the numbers you have now.

BTW I have a reverse split and even with a 150 dry shot (magnaflow cats, custom Y and Magnaflow muff), ~ 580rwhp, I only lost 5 rwhp and gained 7 trq VS ORY/Hooker setup.
Well I did think about redoing my duals. But w/ the money I spent on cats, and then refabbing duals (probably would have done 2.5" for better clearance, and an Hpipe for more midrange power/torque, and quieter mufflers) It came out to be just as expensive, if not more expensive then just taking it in the chin and going to the Ypipe setup. I'm gonna miss the way my car sounds now, but I'll be glad when I can pull up to a cop and not see him immediately start looking for a reason to pull me over.