PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patiently Waiting for DHP Tuning: What are the 1st tables for basic tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patiently Waiting for DHP Tuning: What are the 1st tables for basic tunes?

I have a Digital Horsepower PowerTuner from DHP (Charles Beyer's tuner).

I use it for tuning my Grand Prix GTP and the Grand Am GT I sold. Charles is working on something special.

My question is if I were to purchase an off the shelf file... what would it consist of for an M6 car?

i.e. Rev Limiter increased 500rpm, Fan On/Off Keyoff over 180 degrees 2 minutes, Timing advances, Shift Line Pressure (auto car only), KR Tuning, AE Enrichment, PE Enrichment, MAX Timing, Torque Settings (auto car again), Fuel Curve, Injector Pulse Rate, and of course Fuel Ratio settings.

Basically I am asking what a "standard tune" would consist of for a winter Texas car??

Mods below.......

Last edited by horist; 11-17-2005 at 11:13 PM. Reason: non sponsor links removed
Old 11-17-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on the understanding of the person doing the files.

Doing something like this for a living, there are lots of things that should be done to most files, that are overlooked by others. There is no need for a special winter tune vs a summer tune, seasonal tunes are sold by those who don't have a full understading.

On a M6, you concentrate on drivability and power, where with an automatic, you can make more of an improvement on feel with the transmission changes that the vehicle will feel faster, even without adding power to the wheels.

I think that will be locked or edited quickly. since they're not a sponsor to my knowledge.

Ryan
Old 11-17-2005, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

i think i have an idea??

Very basic. Copy high octane spark advance table over to low octane table, turned the fans to 209/200 and secondary to 219/210, zero out spark advance for EGR. 6800 rev limiter, fan settings, full SD VE tuning (secondary and primary tables) with PE? Speed limiter disable, CAGS disable, EGR disable, AIR disable, raise WOT timing?

this sound about right???
Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

What about changes to the tune for no cats w/ electric cutouts were the cats used to be ?? what needs to be done???
Old 11-17-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
i think i have an idea??

Very basic. Copy high octane spark advance table over to low octane table, turned the fans to 209/200 and secondary to 219/210, zero out spark advance for EGR. 6800 rev limiter, fan settings, full SD VE tuning (secondary and primary tables) with PE? Speed limiter disable, CAGS disable, EGR disable, AIR disable, raise WOT timing?

this sound about right???

copying high octane to low octane isn't a good idea (unless you're doing SD tuning ... V6 motors don't respond the same way as the LS1 to SD though)

keep your high and low octane tables

I would lower the fan turn on points (but depends on what thermostat you're running.... thermostat +20 for min seems to work for me....)

Disable EGR then you don't have to worry about EGR timing effects

6800 rev limiter... unless you plan on spinning the motor to 6600 or so ... that's WAY too high ...... 2-3 hundred RPM past desired shift RPM for cars shifting below 6500 is what i use

I've made the above changes with HP Tuners on my Grand Prix and was happy w/the results (though I set my shift to 6k since I'm stock springs )

tuning for cutouts where cats used to be... disable the post cat 02s ..... this is basic $hit ..... all avail here and on HP Tuners forum (HPT doesn't use a secret customer only forum like DHP)

also... V6 fueling is time based whereas V8 fueling is RPM based.... so PE tuning here can't be applied to your car....

Last edited by horist; 11-17-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by horist
copying high octane to low octane isn't a good idea (unless you're doing SD tuning ... V6 motors don't respond the same way as the LS1 to SD though)

keep your high and low octane tables

I would lower the fan turn on points (but depends on what thermostat you're running.... thermostat +20 for min seems to work for me....)

Disable EGR then you don't have to worry about EGR timing effects

6800 rev limiter... unless you plan on spinning the motor to 6600 or so ... that's WAY too high ...... 2-3 hundred RPM past desired shift RPM for cars shifting below 6500 is what i use

I've made the above changes with HP Tuners on my Grand Prix and was happy w/the results (though I set my shift to 6k since I'm stock springs )

tuning for cutouts where cats used to be... disable the post cat 02s ..... this is basic $hit ..... all avail here and on HP Tuners forum (HPT doesn't use a secret customer only forum like DHP)

also... V6 fueling is time based whereas V8 fueling is RPM based.... so PE tuning here can't be applied to your car....
I copied some of that stuff such as egr etc.

So basically for my 2000 TA a basic tune would consist of.... disabling EGR, No Performance Enrichment since fuel is RPM based, No O2's ---duhhh--- (but I wonder if the car runs richer with em in loop/disabled?), set rev to 6500RPM not 6800RPM, Fan turn on at 185 degrees, High and low octane the same ( i thought this didnt make sense~!) and raise timing in the "Good Spark and Fuel" tables.

Also what do you set the desired A/F at??? Thanks! I heard these things run pig rich from the factory and leaning em out helps a heap??

Of course a cam would definately change the timing settings!
Old 11-18-2005, 08:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Performance Enrichment since fuel is RPM based, No O2's ---duhhh--- (but I wonder if the car runs richer with em in loop/disabled?)
huh?

High and low octane the same ( i thought this didnt make sense~!) and raise timing in the "Good Spark and Fuel" tables.
each car is different in how much & where you want to increase the timing...but you shouldnt have the high/low octane tables match otherwise you have no knock protection basically. I usually figure out my high table then take that table copy it to the low & subtract off 3-5*

Also what do you set the desired A/F at??? Thanks! I heard these things run pig rich from the factory and leaning em out helps a heap??
i assume you mean in pe...but unless youve got a wideband i wouldnt touch those tables too much.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

what settings are programmed into the hypertech programers??
Old 11-18-2005, 09:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out the sticky to horist's site i think theres a couple of hypertech tunes on there.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^ no V6 Hypercrap changes though honestly though.. so long as you have a wideband... you can do better than hypercrap in a days tuning ...

Quick Reply: Patiently Waiting for DHP Tuning: What are the 1st tables for basic tunes?