Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Drag Racing gets boost from NHRA

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 Drag Racing gets boost from NHRA

Thanks to Danny Gracia's efforts to increase the interest in Super Stock racing NHRA has approved the LS1 engine for use in early GM muscle cars for Super Stock.

Will this help the future of LSx racing? Will it help bring new racers to the LSx market and maybe encourage contingencies for the LSx racers?
Will this help create a venue for early backhaved GM cars with LSx power plants in other racing series?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

this sounds awesome
we will be seein the new 500ci world block lsx motors in some fast race cars soon it think
Old 11-21-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aaa, big step
Old 11-21-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Maggie,

Isn't that kind of counter productive to the Stock Eliminator class? I thought it had to remain as close to stock (engine) as possible ... with some NHRA twists.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new rule allows just about any year corporate motor to run in any year body as an SS/GT combination. I think that it will do more to hurt Super Stock than to help it.
The LS1 has been legal for Super Stock for several years and there are very few running. At the moment, an aftermarket block is not legal. A competetive SS LS1 would probably cost about $25,000.00-$35,000.00 and you better have a good car to put it in!

Maggie,

How did that transmission work out?
Sorry to read about your dog.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 11-21-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
Maggie,

Isn't that kind of counter productive to the Stock Eliminator class? I thought it had to remain as close to stock (engine) as possible ... with some NHRA twists.
George,
That's what I thought at first but, after I re-read the rule change, I believe it just lifts the year model restrictions on GT Super Stock classes. It looks like what Danny Garcia is wanting to do is to bring the Pro-Media racers and the "Fast Street Car" competitors to the NHRA...
Old 11-21-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Hmm, I am going to do some research on this. I can see the benifits of it, but what has me baffled is what it will do to the class, as GIZMO thinks. Any links to it, or is it in the National Dragster (haven't read my recent copies yet ). I guess we will see ...
Old 11-21-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Daren,
I agree with you about it possibly hurting the series. But there are a huge number of backhaved Camaros, Novas and I believe even shoe boxes- '57 chevys and shuch that could put in a ls1 and be legal...???...

Oh, The tranny worked out good...I've had it in three different cars now lol.
It's now in a Super Street car.

George,
I did some searching and the new rule changes are posted in the Nov 4 issue of National Dragster on page 45. It's also on the NHRA website but I couldn't get in to get a link...I can't remember by membership #
Old 11-21-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maggie,

I think that there will be a bunch of regular Super Stock guys that will switch classes to avoid heads-up runs.
I'm glad that the transmission worked out for you. What happenned with the index class that you were going to run?

Daren
Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Found it!

http://www.nhra.com/apcm/templates/n...articleid=9034
Old 11-21-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Maggie,

I think that there will be a bunch of regular Super Stock guys that will switch classes to avoid heads-up runs.
I'm glad that the transmission worked out for you. What happenned with the index class that you were going to run?

Daren
LOL, YES, I know a mid 80's camaro racer that is hopping up and down on one leg and saying bad words!!!

On the index class, The car is still sitting unfinished. too much to do & too little time killed that car this season