Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

D1 pulley alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1 pulley alignment?

ok, i bought my ATI d1 kit used and the directions were **** anyway... so i ended up with a spacer where it shouldn't have been and shredded a belt... the blower and blower pulley were too far forward and weren't aligned with the crank pulley. i took the spacer out and now it's a lot closer alignment, but is still off a tad... my question is: how close do the blower and crank pulleys have to be aligned so the car doesn't shred belts and cause all sorts of mayhem? do they have to be spot-on? or just close enough? thanks!
Old 11-26-2005, 03:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably be 1/16-1/32" off and as long as the pulleys are parallel you should be OK. If the blower pulley is cocked either way the belt will try to ride itself forward or backwards and come off at high rpm. You have to be sure you have the correct spacers in the right place. When you just lay the bracket on those 3 spacers everything should lay flat, if one spacer is long or short the whole blower will be off and on an angle. Lot depends on how tight the belt is also..
Old 11-26-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did to align my pulleys was remove all the spacers and then start the car. I would rev the motor until the belt jumped a groove in either direction. Whichever direction it jumped, thats the way it was being pulled. Say if the belt jumped towards the front of the car on the crank pulley, I would place a small spacer on the blower pulley to correct it. It was a trial and error thing, but it worked well. I had to go to the hardware store and buy a bunch of washers to use as spacers. Not all washers are the same thickness, so I went through the box and found different thicknesses to use. I forgot what the I.D. was on the washers, 7/8" maybe.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the manual is not that clear. 2 problems come up when installing the setup. It is not to clear in the installation text when it comes to the "Hex stand offs" and the idler pulley spacer when it comes to a 6rib or a 8 rib setup. Each setup uses different stand offs. Here is some info that might help.

Hex stand offs for a 6 rib are 2.5'',s long with the idler pulley spacer 1.5'' or 1.625'' long.
Hex stand offs for 8 rib are 2.75'',s long with idler pully spacer 1.75'' or 1.875'' long.
Not shure what manual you have but you can see this info on page 21 on the side lines next to the photos.

Who knows maybe the seller had same problems from the start as well. I am currently running a 8 rib and have not had a bit of problmes using these dimensions.

Chris
Old 11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good luck i've spent close to 100 hours corecting my ati belt issues, that is why i lost faith in them. i mean i got it right but theres so many things i had to do its unreal
Old 11-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Launching!

i guess i had the 8rib hex on there and now i'm down to the correct 6rib smaller one.... so that's good... so you think if i just rev it a few times and it doesn't come off it's probably ok?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sslow2000
i guess i had the 8rib hex on there and now i'm down to the correct 6rib smaller one.... so that's good... so you think if i just rev it a few times and it doesn't come off it's probably ok?
mine was a 12 rib it would rev and drive fine for a while sometimes after about 150 miles the belt slowly started the get chewed up. you have to make sure the bracket is on the motor straight not tilted up or down if it is you have to shim either up top or buttom. easiest way to tell is take a true straight edge a long one lay over top of both pulleys you should get an idea on how far off you are.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sslow2000
So you are running the 6 rib and were using the 8 rib stand offs? Reving it up might let you know. Might try a good straight edge and see where the groves fall in. Its hard to tell untill you get it under a load,............ only time will tell. I would take a good look at things when you get to the dyno,as well.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Launching!

yah.... i'll have to find something straight to see just how much it's off... i drove it last night and it hasn't shredded a belt off yet... so... it might be good...

yah i was running the wrong standoff.... that wasn't in the directions!!!!

Quick Reply: D1 pulley alignment?