Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo collector, whats the best way?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Fullthrottledan1

Default turbo collector, whats the best way?

OK, Im having some problems making a turbo collector that fits right. Im using 1.75" 304ss piping and trying to fit it to a 3" v band. whats the best way to try and make it? Ive never made headers before, let alone a collector. I can weld but dont know where to start.

so far i have 4 peices of 1.75" that have 3 inch legs and a 20 degree bend in it, am i going the right way?

here is a pic of the my first header tacked up

any help would be awesome

Dan
Old 11-26-2005, 07:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two ways I do it. Depending on weather its a budget lower hp setup or a all out set up. something like a burns 4 into one merge (slip on) or I use custom ones from SPD. Then go to a 3" v-band flange or into a t4 or 6 flange. Or the cheaper rout would be to go with a formed 4 into one collestor. A little more work as you have to make a piece to fill in the gap between the four pies and just weld around the four when done. Then go to a v-band or t-4 flange. You can get the round to t4 or t6 transitions from SPD also.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Fullthrottledan1

id rather not buy a peice though, im trying to challange myself ( probably end up buying a peice and spending twice the money, just like usual , lol)

its for the truck in sig. GT-40,88mm turbo ball bearing on my 370ci motor. guess ill keep plugging away at it
Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
OK, Im having some problems making a turbo collector that fits right. Im using 1.75" 304ss piping and trying to fit it to a 3" v band. whats the best way to try and make it? Ive never made headers before, let alone a collector. I can weld but dont know where to start.

so far i have 4 peices of 1.75" that have 3 inch legs and a 20 degree bend in it, am i going the right way? any help would be awesome

Dan
It is a lot tougher than it looks. I have just been there. A merge collector requires some kind of jigging so all 4 parts are near exact the same. I decided to have them made. Formed collectors are cheap but I felt the headers I made were better than that. If you decide on the formed collectors, wait till' you get them before you weld up the headers. You will need to square off the inside corners (so the center forms a cross) of the tubes for the collectors to fit well. It is nearly impossible to do that with stainless once they are welded up. If you are bent on making them (nothing wrong with trying, but its not that easy to do a "GOOD" job) , get some pvc pipe to practice and figure out the cuts and you will see what I mean.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
so far i have 4 peices of 1.75" that have 3 inch legs and a 20 degree bend in it, am i going the right way?
Yes, Dan You are going the right way. Each piece needs to be cut twice to begin. Do you have access to a v-block? You clamp it it on both sides (of the 45*part) to lay out the lines to cut. Do you have a surface (height) gage? Look carefully at the pictures of merge collectors on the net. The legs are cut twice at 45* to the other leg. forming a 90* . -Tim
Old 11-28-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Found this on the net, maybe it'll help?
http://home.comcast.net/~engloid/col...collector.html

J
Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Fullthrottledan1

yay, that helps out a little, but they need to be strait, not on an angle like the one shown. just have to figure out how to put a 20 degree angle in there. PVC here i come!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use tubing that has a slight bend in em, maybe 45 degs?? Looks like the burns collectors have a slight bend in the tubing so all the pipes end up straight. More pics here to reference..to give you some more ideas?
http://www.burnsstainless.com/MergeC...ollectors.html

Awesome looking headers btw..
Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Fullthrottledan1

Those look like the 20 degree bends that I have. I just dont want to break down and pay that much for a collector, especially since i need 2.

Thanks on the header, its my first attempt at it and dont think i did too bad. Ill keep you guys updated. The turbo should be here this week so ill be working on it all weekend long