Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ac Delco or NGK??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ac Delco or NGK??

Went to pepboys today to pick up some stuff and when I asked the guy for some plugs, and said NGK, he laughed at me. I didnt think it was so funny cuz I thought just about everyone was running the NGK's. So which ones are better and why?? There's like a $40 dollar difference and I cant see the benefits of the platinum plug. Is it necessary to run the platinum plug, or are the NGK's just as good?? Need some input, thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1_Unleashed
Went to pepboys today to pick up some stuff and when I asked the guy for some plugs, and said NGK, he laughed at me. I didnt think it was so funny cuz I thought just about everyone was running the NGK's. So which ones are better and why?? There's like a $40 dollar difference and I cant see the benefits of the platinum plug. Is it necessary to run the platinum plug, or are the NGK's just as good?? Need some input, thanks.
Remember that the dude works at pepboys, not a performance shop. He probably figures the more a part costs, the better it is. Go with the NGK TR55s. Platinum plugs are better in terms of longevity, but the TR55s have lower resistance which coaxes more spark. The only downside is that you have to change them every 25K miles, because the copper has a lower melting point and will erode away over time. Explain this to the guy at pep boys and if he still laughs at you, tell him to pull his head out of his *** and atleast know what he's talking about before jumping to incorrect assumptions that more money equals better sparkplug. Then leave the store and go somewhere else to buy your plug.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Explain this to the guy at pep boys and if he still laughs at you, tell him to pull his head out of his *** and atleast know what he's talking about before jumping to incorrect assumptions that more money equals better sparkplug. Then leave the store and go somewhere else to buy your plug.

Second that go with the ngk's. Ran the tr55 before the blower and now tr6's and both have been great plugs.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would run Delco's in my stock vehicles but for the performance get the NGK's. I went with TR6's gapped at .38 for the juice....
Old 12-21-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I told him that, and I said all my racing friends are running thise plug and he said "well the platinum plug will help your car run better" and all this other crap. Looks like I will be going to another store for some Ngk's shortly.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We shouldnt really blame the store clerk for believeing the marketing propaganda they forcefeed us... ...But lets blame him anyway!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Pep Boys. If i were to tell you some of the stories about these guys, you will never step in their stores again.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm doing my plugs today, NGK TR55's, it ****** sucks big time, I'd rather get kicked in the nuts by a mule on crystal meth
Old 12-21-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

That's why I haven't made myself change mine.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the NGK's, and $45 back. So I'm happy, I wont be going in there anytime soon though.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get the NKGs you'll be happy.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1_Unleashed
Got the NGK's, and $45 back. So I'm happy, I wont be going in there anytime soon though.
Good choice, youll be happier with them when compared to AC-Delco. And remember, guys that work at Autozone, pep-boys, etc, usually work there because they do not have the education or intelligence to get the education to become an actual mechanic (in most cases).
Old 12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

If you swapped your plugs and got $45 back, I'm guessing he sold you iridium plugs before and not the platinum. It souldn't cost more than about $10 for platinum over copper.

Some on here think the iridium plug is better than both; others don't think they're worth the money.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the Iridium plugs, but who dyno's their car before and after plug changes... I think if the plug's Iridium (thin wire), then it probably doesn't matter much who made it. Does AC Delco have Iridium plugs yet, or just platinum? Anyways, that's why I picked the NGK TR55 IX's. Seems like the thin wire has got enable a better flame front from the spark...
Old 12-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Just installed AC Delco Iridium plugs. The factory Iridiums that I pulled out didn't look bad at all after 58K. Was installing headers and just thought plugs were a good idea while I was in there.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS69TA
That's why I haven't made myself change mine.
Just got done, took about 1 hour to do them all. Found a kickass tool that easily gets to the passenger side back plug and it comes in and out in minutes.

But, my hands are friggin sore now, my muscles all hurt and I'm just pissed off now j/k Wasn't too bad this time. Except I broke 5 of my Taylor wires taking them off, oh well, good thing I kept my stock wires.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

I went with the NGK TR55IX...I was running the tr55 prior to having my 383 built...then LPE suggested running the IX's....seem to be a very good plug so far.

Quick Reply: Ac Delco or NGK??