New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm new and clueless on HP gains...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new and clueless on HP gains...

Ok, i bought my 00' WS6 a little over a year ago and i've been palying around at the drag strip a little bit with my friends. My car is mainly stock besides the SLP loudmouth exhaust i have. First off i want to know if Pacesetter header's and Y-pipe are reputable or not. Second i want to know about cams. I have no clue about them but i know it's a good thing to put in. What do i look for in a cam and where do i start with it? Thanks AJ
Old 12-21-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

take a look in the advanced tech section and find the cam discussion threads. you can also do a search for "Pacesetters" titles only to get more information on them.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

pacesetters are great, many people run them....they are the best bang for the buck....as far as cams your gonna just have to research on here , but yes cams are great and really wake up the Ls1.....look at some of the stickies at the top of the page and see what you can find
Old 12-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Ok good to know about Pacesetter. Now I just need some more info on the cams. Yea I can read up on it but like i've said I have no clue about them besides my gearhead friends telling me to get one. What would be the best "bang for the buck" in terms of a cam. And do i really want to look into saving money when looking into a cam? I know I want to get the most out of it but also one of the things I want from it is to idle like the old school muscle cars almost like a boat out of water. Thanks for the imput and hope to get more.
Thanks
AJ
Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Alright one more thing ... When i was racing my car on the track i was having alot of trouble getting my car into second gear. I would have to hop right into 4th. I have the skip shift taken off of my car so i know its not that. It's fine on the road . Do i need a new clutch ? which clutch is good for me? Thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ws6platinumbird
Alright one more thing ... When i was racing my car on the track i was having alot of trouble getting my car into second gear. I would have to hop right into 4th.

Maybe a bent shift fork??
Old 12-21-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now I just need some more info on the cams. Yea I can read up on it but like i've said I have no clue about them besides my gearhead friends telling me to get one. What would be the best "bang for the buck" in terms of a cam.
AJ

I don't know much about cams either, but here's what I'm doing:

Go to the dyno thread and read there - most guy posting there list all their mods so you can get a real good ballpark of what you can get out specific mods.

HOWEVER - and this is important - what you cannot tell from that thread is how the car idles/runs with any particular cam - this is also affected HUGELY by the tune. Best advice on that is to pick out a couple and see if you can show up at a meet where someone might be running that cam and see/hear it in person and ask them who did their tune.

That's my plan....but not till after the Christmas bills are paid.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:30 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

start by reading the links in my sig...
Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=424405&page=1

Cam: Thunder Racing's 224/224 cam.

Alright one more thing ... When i was racing my car on the track i was having alot of trouble getting my car into second gear. I would have to hop right into 4th. I have the skip shift taken off of my car so i know its not that. It's fine on the road . Do i need a new clutch ? which clutch is good for me? Thanks
Do a search for "drill mod."
Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Here is the Cam Guide:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html

Some good info there, will definitely get you started on understanding what you want to know.

One of the things I did when buying a cam is keeping in mind my future plans for the car. If you go with a "small" cam (e.g. 224 cam) you may be really impressed with the gains initially, but it won't have the "lope" or the huge power gains you may be wanting in the future. It really comes down to personal preference and what you are looking to specifically gain.

A good point was made. Go out to meets or wherever and listen to different cams and ask the owners the pros and cons.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the STICKY'S!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
Read the STICKY'S!
JRP basically said the same thing too.....I read JRP's sticky and tried reading some of the "discussion" links he had in there.....You have to be REAL serious about cams to read all that!!

The stickies are great. You can learn as much as you want, from the very basic all the way to pure rocket science.

All I need is the basic: A, roughly how much power will it give, and B, how will it idle/run with a good tune.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

could be a bent shift fork, or could it be a synchro? does it grind at all when you try to go into second? a cam depends on what you want. if you want one thats still very streetable you want a mild cam but if you want one that is just all out ***** to the wall racing, you could go with something more aggressive. most sites have info about them. so read up, and check the stickies too.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Teching In

alright everyone's talkin about sticky's . what are they? And to reply to SWANG yes it grinds when i try to go into second...only when high RPM's racing. lIf i want a ***** to the walls cam is that stillgoing to be ok to drive it on the street?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright everyone's talkin about sticky's . what are they?

Uhh.....go up to the top of this thread where it says "New LS1 Owners & Enthusiasts" and click that.

Then read the titles of the first few threads.....carefully....it'll say something like "Sticky"

That means it ALWAYS stays at the top of the section for easy reference....

Old 12-23-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

it could be a synchro. might want to have a shop look into that one.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
That's my plan....but not till after the Christmas bills are paid.
I feel you man!!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula_X
I feel you man!!

Ya know, every year it's the same thing - the other half makes a list, I buy everything. The little one makes a list, we buy everything.

I make a list that usually starts with a 408.....but I note on ther other acceptalbe alternatives, like a 6.0L, or just heads and a cam, or a turbo, or suspension upgrades, or a "built" tranny (A4), or a catback, or duals with headers (catted)......I mean I even put down fuzzy dice and the foot print gas pedal (not really). AFTER ALL THAT I put things like DVDs and stuff like that............I always end up with DVDs and stuff like that......I'm not complaining, though! I get other "gifts"

It's gonna take a while to pay off THIS Christmas....
Old 12-26-2005, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

alright everyone's talkin about sticky's . what are they? And to reply to SWANG yes it grinds when i try to go into second...only when high RPM's racing. lIf i want a ***** to the walls cam is that stillgoing to be ok to drive it on the street?
Check your synchros. Have you tried shifting without using the clutch?