Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is up w/ the water pump on these engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What is up w/ the water pump on these engines?

So........, I drain the coolant, add some radiator flush, fill the system, & start the car. Long story short, the car over heats. Air pocket in the pump doesn't allow fluid to circulate....damnit! Both head gaskets leak now as evident by the steam & milky residue in my oil fill cap & PCV lines. Am in the process of pulling the heads.

Question is, what are you guys doing to ensure the pump is filled & no air in the system? Am considering an electric water pump just so the system can be filled & purged without running the engine.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when I fill my radiator back up after I drain it I take off the hose that goes from the little coolant pipe to the throttle body and pour in coolant until it starts to come out of that hole. I then put the hose back and keep filling the coolant. I then leave the cap off and start the car. Let the car come to full operating temperature (until coolant starts to go through and fans kick on) then I just keep filling until it's topped off. I then shut everything down and put the cap back on. I'll check it after a couple days and add as need be.

Sounds like you have more issues though. Like a blown head gasket or both of them.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
Well when I fill my radiator back up after I drain it I take off the hose that goes from the little coolant pipe to the throttle body and pour in coolant until it starts to come out of that hole. I then put the hose back and keep filling the coolant. I then leave the cap off and start the car. Let the car come to full operating temperature (until coolant starts to go through and fans kick on) then I just keep filling until it's topped off. I then shut everything down and put the cap back on. I'll check it after a couple days and add as need be.

Sounds like you have more issues though. Like a blown head gasket or both of them.

exactly what he said if you remove that little hose that goes to teh TB you can top it off and force the air out.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

Go to 160 degree thermostat install. It will show you an easy way that you should have done to remove air from cooling system when refilling.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to add another thing I do.I turn the heater on to have fluid moving thru the heater hoses/core as well.Which I think it always flows anyway.Not sure if it matters,but I always do that as well as whats mentioned above.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

The biggest problem is that the water pump is the high point in my car. That little heater hose is the high point in a conventional set up. I'm gonna have to vent the pump in order to ensure that the air has been removed.

Am breathing easier now, both heads removed & no major damage. Thanks for the comments.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have functional steam/crossover pipes on the front of the heads? Or are all 4 blocked off?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by John_D.
Do you have functional steam/crossover pipes on the front of the heads? Or are all 4 blocked off?
Yes, And that's a good point (similar to the TB hose). Problem is (& I didn't explain clearly above) the radiator fill is lower than the pump & the cross over pipes. For this reason, I can't use the radiator fill point to overflow the TB tubing or cross over pipes. Could either fill the remainder of the system throug those tiny ports or drill & tap the top of the pump to be absolutley sure of a full fill.

Edit:
Is there any benefit to connecting the rear head ports also? Have had a real close look @ the heads & block; both look great. Other than the blown gasket(s), there was no damage done. Actually, am glad to have had the chance to look inside. Only dissapointment was all the carbon deposits on the top of the cylinders from either the EGR or from oil introduced into the combustion chamber before the PCV mod.. Cleaned it all up & am in the process of drying out the bolt holes.

Last edited by LS1-450; 01-05-2006 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added second paragraph
Old 01-05-2006, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

turn the heater on and use the "air-lift" tool.....I use it every time I drain the coolant on an fbody and have never had an issue.