LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

supra vs TA

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supra vs TA

Hi everyone, im new to this site and hope to learn more about the fbody motors eventhough I dont own one myself. My best friend owns a 94 TA, lt1 ,auto trans. I have a 89 supra turbo and for years we have had a friendly rivalry I guess. We both are car guys and both respect each others ride but always desire inside to beat the other.

For the past couple years my cars has made 257rwhp and 301wbft. His TA has had just a filter kit and exhaust work ,no cats. His car runs better quarter mile times but im sure I could take him from a roll.

My car is being built up some now, im shooting for 350+rwhp on low boost and 400-430rwhp for my high boost setting My question is what would my friend have to do to his Lt1 to get say 400rwhp? who will be faster depends on several things I know, but just wanted to know what he would need for 400hp.

Between him and I its just all in fun so I hope no one gets the wrong idea about this post. Just wanted to know what to look out for when he starts to mod

thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well simply put, there are many ways to achieve something like that. A shot of nitrous (150) should do it, or he can go with a heads/cam combo with the supporting mods. The heads/cam jobs are getting better in the LT1 crowd and 400rwhp is very achievable. Of course there is forced induction, but I would stay away from that too much unless the bottom end is built for it.

-Brian
Old 01-11-2006, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How well do the older supra's hook up? I know the newer ones produce gobs of power but seem a little dissappointing when it comes to trach times.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Teching In

thanks for your response blackbird. He has talked about nitrous and I know a big shot like that would do tons for power. I, however dont think thats the route he will take because he , like myself ,wants the power all the time.

I know that a supercharger with a few pounds of boost would get him probably in the 400s, but also dont think he will take that route due to stock bottom end and age.

He will probably rebuild motor for na power. so as a na motor, what would he need for 400 at the wheels just heads and cam? He has said that before, but I didn't believe it fully I guess. Oh well ,thats pretty strong
Old 01-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Teching In

How well do the older supra's hook up?

well they suck at the strip just like the 4th gens. well they do o.k considering the weight and independent rear suspension , but wont hook nothing like a fbody. They make good power though , jumps from 230hp to over 300hp with simple bolt ons and power climbs from there. I never hope to match him as far as times in quarter ,but just who ends up in front of who on street
Old 01-11-2006, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sp57supra
How well do the older supra's hook up?

well they suck at the strip just like the 4th gens. well they do o.k considering the weight and independent rear suspension , but wont hook nothing like a fbody. They make good power though , jumps from 230hp to over 300hp with simple bolt ons and power climbs from there. I never hope to match him as far as times in quarter ,but just who ends up in front of who on street
Thanks. Good to know
I was big in imports as well, 13 Rx7's. SUCKED from dig, pretty competitive up top.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

A nice heads and cam package would put him at over 400 RWHP.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
A nice heads and cam package would put him at over 400 RWHP.
I agree... And if he's gonna rebuild the motor, Id be willing to bet that he would install forged pistons. In which case he could spray or boost the new motor(depending on compression ratio) and make even more power.
Id say that if your plans for a motor buildup will only net you 430rwhp on high boost, you better watch out for your buddy in the TA. He may just suprise you with a 75-100shot and put a real hurtin on ya.
Arent friendly rivalry's fun?
Mine's been goin on for a few years with a local cobra owner, as well as all the F-bod guys I know.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, many packages are out there now putting LT1's consistently over the 400 rwhp mark. Packages from Loyd Elliot, Advanced Induction comes to mind when I think of this. Those are pretty well proven.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Teching In

The 430whp high boost goal is not at the limit of my turbo or set up. Thats just kind of the cut off for how far I will push this turbo. conservative = reliability. He told me yesterday that he wants to do a 383 stroker motor. This should put him in the low 400s right? I think we would be a match for each other, him posting better quarters and maybe me pulling him mid range and top end.

His car is auto with 3.27 rear end, I think. My car is 5-speed with 3.73 rear end. With only 300ish hp at crank I stayed nose to nose with a LS1, 6-speed fire hawk from 50mph to about 120mph. Fire hawk then slowly walked away from me.

Ill be stuck in the low to mid 400s at the wheel for a while due to money. 400+ is where my friends TA will be probably, also due to lack of money. For us thats a lot of power and will be a blast until we can afford to mod to the next level. Its fun because we have similar budgets and our cars ,dollar for dollar can do similar things

Quick Reply: supra vs TA