Old 01-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default different lt1 intakes

are they any other intakes for lt4 heads beside the gm performance one
Old 01-06-2006, 10:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

this has been beat to death.. and basicly.. NO.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

People ASSume that because Gen1s and LSx motors have lots of options we have and needs them too. WRONG, the LT1 intake while definetely not perfect works very well on a very wide range of applications and it is even popular for them to be modified and retrofitted to TPIs.
The LT4 intake is not an upgrade over the LT1 intake, they are actually VERY similar inside with the LT4 leaving a little more room for porting.
Seeing as how new you are I will throw this in too, THE LT4 STUFF IS NOT AS GREAT AS YOU HAVE PROBABLY BEEN LEAD TO BELIEVE, not even close. There are a lot of places that will get you more power out of ported LT1s for less money than as cast LT4s, I know there are some 10 second NA 383 cars running LT1 castings not ll that light and at least one very low 10s. People are stuck in the 80s thinking heads have to be replaced but fact is in stock form the LT1 heads are rather good and only get better with porting.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Transamdrgracer04
are they any other intakes for lt4 heads beside the gm performance one
It really depends on how fast you want to go. The LT4 intake will support all but the most extreme combinations. Then you have the options of running a sheet metal or carb type intake.

Daren
Old 01-08-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you do not have LT4 heads do not waste your money on a LT4 intake......
Old 01-08-2006, 08:43 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt anybody would think stock LT4 heads make as much power as correctly ported LT1s. That thought would be very wrong. If you are building a stroker, the larger (Correctly ported) LT4 heads and intake will make more power than the LT1s. Personally, I would not use them on a 350" with the factory PCM.

Also, don't pay any attention to Darren. He is just one of those dumb-assed NHRA/IHRA Stock Eliminator guys with a couple of ten second, stock cylinder head 355" LT1 F bodys. He doesn't know anything.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Apples to apples, the LT4 heads were worth a solid tenth in the eigth on my Stocker over the LT1's. I ran a test a few years back when I was lobbying the IHRA to allow the LT4 to run Stock. Both heads had a three angle valve job and better springs, but no other modifications were made besides tune.

Ed,

All Stock Eliminator racers are as dumb as a rock. We have to be to spend the kind of money that we do to run the numbers that we do! I could spend a lot less money and go a bunch faster, but it wouldn't be as much fun.
If this Forum doesn't change it's series rules too much I will be bringing a Firebird set up for the Super Stock class. It should be a lot of fun.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 01-08-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

I will be running factory LT4 castings.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
. . . Stock Eliminator guys with a couple of ten second, stock cylinder head 355" LT1 F bodys. He doesn't know anything.
I would never accuse anyone of cheating per se, but I've seen a set of $5000 "stock" heads.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by engineermike
I would never accuse anyone of cheating per se, but I've seen a set of $5000 "stock" heads.

Mike,

Statements like that really kill me. The most I ever paid for a set of Stocker heads is $1,500.00 (not including the castings). I will be tearing a couple of motors down for tech this year. If you would like you can contact me and I will give you my schedule so that you can come and inspect my stuff. I would be glad to point out to you all that I have modified to get to the point that I am at.
You could also come over to my shop in Shelby, NC and inspect the piles of motors, heads, transmissions, converters, 12-bolts, gears, intakes, tires, wheels, brakes, etc. that I have tested over the years.
Please don't make any more statements like that unless you really know what you are talking about.

Best Regards,

Daren Poole-Adams
IHRA 9043

(704) 434-8626
(704) 692-0860 (cell)
Old 01-08-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, trust me - I know what I'm talking about.

I've seen a set of $5000 Stock Eliminator heads that pass tech, including (and especially) intake runner volume. Any class that mandates a "non ported" head is just asking for the rules to be broken. Also, take a look at the rules for the SUPR and Super Late Model dirt track classes. Both require non-ported heads.

Just as an example, the Super Late Model class requires a 390 cfm carb, 362 cid max, 9/1 compression, and non-ported Dart Iron Eagle 200's. How about 630 hp? Everything passes tech.

Mike
Old 01-08-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by engineermike
Oh, trust me - I know what I'm talking about.

I've seen a set of $5000 Stock Eliminator heads that pass tech, including (and especially) intake runner volume. Any class that mandates a "non ported" head is just asking for the rules to be broken. Also, take a look at the rules for the SUPR and Super Late Model dirt track classes. Both require non-ported heads.

Just as an example, the Super Late Model class requires a 390 cfm carb, 362 cid max, 9/1 compression, and non-ported Dart Iron Eagle 200's. How about 630 hp? Everything passes tech.

Mike
Mike,

We are not talking about your buddies heads we are talking about mine. I know all about the high dollar "acid ported" heads. I have never had any, but that doesn't mean that I am against trying them in the future if the sanctioning bodies don't clamp down. If you would like to start a thread about your experiences with bogus LT1 heads and their effect on performance, please feel free. Just, please leave my name out of it.

Funny that you should bring up Super Late Models. My close friend has a car that qualified for the World 100. He would be pissed if his motor only made 630 HP (810 HP would be better). You might want to read up on the rules.

Daren
Old 01-09-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

"Super Late Model" rules vary from track to track. The one in particular that I'm referring to is a Late Model Asphalt car. That's beside the point, though.

630 hp with "un-ported" Dart 200 cc heads, 9/1 compression, and 390 cfm carb is still the case. I'm not talking referring to "acid porting" either. It's a little more advanced than that. . .
Old 01-09-2006, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Daren

I do not see where he directly accused you or really insinuated it was you. Calm down a bit You know as well as us it happens.

I read a book a while back that summed it up fairly well. Any class that requires stock un touched parts will incure people to spend a great deal of money to make modified parts look stock Having been on a late model team back in the 90s this was seen on a regular basis. Like you WE were legal, but had seen parts that were far from it! We watched a guy sell a set of heads to another team once. When the other team won there first race the previos owner paid for a tear down to disqualify them

And people wonder why there are fights in the pitts!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Daren

I do not see where he directly accused you or really insinuated it was you. Calm down a bit You know as well as us it happens.

I read a book a while back that summed it up fairly well. Any class that requires stock un touched parts will incure people to spend a great deal of money to make modified parts look stock Having been on a late model team back in the 90s this was seen on a regular basis. Like you WE were legal, but had seen parts that were far from it! We watched a guy sell a set of heads to another team once. When the other team won there first race the previos owner paid for a tear down to disqualify them

And people wonder why there are fights in the pitts!
damn thats just mean
Old 01-09-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Daren

Maybe I have everything wrong. But if that is really the case why did Mike post what he did? The only thing that he left off of his quote was my name. Right under that he posted his crack about $5,000.00 heads. Where does that fit in an LT4 intake thread? I think that Mike and I will agree to disagree.

Daren
Old 01-09-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

I've seen a ton of this stuff in both circle track and drag racing. Some of it works and some doesn't. Not all of the fast cars are bogus and not all of the slow cars are legal. I test a lot and like to think that I am starting to learn a few things, but I will be the first to admit that I still have a long way to go.

Daren
Old 01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GIZMO
. . . I think that Mike and I will agree to disagree.

Daren
What, exactly, are we disagreeing on? We both seem to agree that many racers spend exhorbatant amounts of money building engines that pass tech, but cheat at the same time.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:59 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Darren is right about not all fast cars being bogus. Some of you may not know of Bobby Warren, of Warren Engines in Clinton, NC. They are as straight as anybody I know. I talked to Bobby's son Jeff yesterday about a customer's car of their's I was doing a PCM for. They run a couple of NHRA/IHRA Stock Eliminator LT1 F body cars, and I can pretty much assure you they do not have bogus heads. I asked Jeff (his is an automatic car, Bobby's is a stick) how fast they had gone. He told me he had gone 10.16 this year in "perfect conditions". Damn!! When some of you guys get to thinking your fast, you need to attend an NHRA national event, and see how fast guys like that go, and you can see how they do some of it. That's some of the guys Darren has to race.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Ed,

The Warrens are top notch people. I have three motors there at the moment. I highly recomend them to anyone (not just race motors).
What you left off is that Bobby is 70+ and still driving a stick shift LT1!! He still goes a lot of rounds in NHRA competition.

Take Care,

Daren

Quick Reply: different lt1 intakes