Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about CUTOUTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about CUTOUTS

I currently have a stock Camaro Z/28, an LS1. it had a muffler and nice tips put in before i bought it but thats just not enough. For those of you with cutouts....... How and Where and such? Where are they put, before the cats, after the cats? 1 cutout or 2? will it be as loud as open headers/manifolds? improve mileage and/or power? how big the diameter? how much? electric or vacuum or those plates u change? and anythign else you have experiences with you would like to share or personal opinions.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

-Adam
Old 01-12-2006, 04:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One 3" cutout in the I-pipe, in the niche under the passenger seat is all you need.
Dual cutouts in the Y-pipe really mess up your ground clearance.

I've had both setups. 1 is good for both power and sound.

Elect. motors control the butterfly valves in the elec. cutouts sold by QTP---->.
Look at their wbesite.

Manual cutouts involve reaching under your car and uncapping a plate with 3 wing nuts.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

ditto what he said above
Old 01-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Teching In

what about the mileage and loudness, what do u mean by passenger side niche? thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 04:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skymarauder
what about the mileage and loudness, what do u mean by passenger side niche? thanks
Get under your car (practice for your manual cutout if that's what you get), from right in front of your passenger side rear tire. See the pipe that runs from the merge of your Y-pipe to the rear axle. That's the I pipe. There's a void in the floorboard "the niche" in that location, asking you to put a cutout there.

Manual and elect. cutouts are the same by the way. The only thing that makes the elect. ones elect. are the device that caps the cutout.

Loudness - very.
Mileage - I don't see how this affects your MPG.

Also, cutouts sound like *** at part throttle. Only sound good at idle or at Wide Open Throttle.

Also, open cutouts push your tq peak up in the rev range. They make your "feel" slower when accelerating from a low rpm. They infact open up the exhauast and make more hp and tq as a result, but their advantage is best put to use for high rpm use.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

so for just a daily driver its not worth it? btw do they need to be welded in? if so how much does the average muffler shop charge for that?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

$45 for a cutout, I paid $20 for the weld-in. It's a quick cut and weld. I've heard of guys clamping them on with success, but I wouldn't do that.

For a near stock daily driver, it will free up a few hp and produce a ton of noise when open. It's up to you if that's something that you want.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also I made a turndown for mine.. Makes it much more pleasurable and gets rid of 85% of the drone and vibration...
Old 01-13-2006, 03:43 AM
9 Second Club

I have the QTP 3in. elec. cutout behind the Y-pipe, you really only need one, sounds mean as hell, improves power in the upper rpm's, it will run you about 140 to 160 for a good one, try www.ws6store.com, they have good prices.