Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed TD's, SES light came on....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed TD's, SES light came on....

I just got my TSP TD's installed today and it sounds great, but tonight on my way home, my SES light came on, IM running LT's and o2 simms. what could cause this? Please help
Old 01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats because O2 sims suck lol. Did you delete the AIR or EGR? Either one of those will set it off.

You should have just gone to a speed shop and had them delete the codes for ALL the emmissions stuff. It'd be about the same price as O2 sims and work way better.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Whats the code? may help out.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Auto Zone and run the codes. It's probably a P1153 and the other code for the driver's side pre-cat O2 sensor...not sure what it is off the top of my head. Basically, there is an issue with your front O2 sensor. Apparently, a ton of guys that either delete the cats or throw on LT's have this problem. It could be many things...but most likely it is associated with the following.

1. You have an exhaust leak close to your front O2 sensors.
2. From deleting the cats, you have lost the huge amount of heat the front O2 sensors needs to function properly, and thus act a fool and throw bogus codes at you...most likely that the banks are running lean or rich...or they're having a problem switching back and forth between lean and rich.

I have the same problem right now. I deleted the cats...and boom, the car throws these codes at me!! It's so gangster, but that's the way it is. I have not attempted to fix the problem yet but I'm going to start this weekend. First, I'm going to jack the car up, lather up the passenger side piping with soap/water and then turn the car on and look for bubbles. If I can't find any, I'm going to spend $90 and buy a rear Corvette O2 sensor. Many guys have tried it and been successful. If for some reason neither of these work...and there honestly is a good chance that it won't; as many others have said,..."Welcome to the SES light club." If you have driven the car for a few hundred miles and noticed absolutely NO CHANGE IN PERFORMANCE, have the codes deleted out of your PCM...i.e. LS1 edit. If you car is jacked up and acting weird like mine is, DO NOT DELETE THE CODES...figure out what the problem is and fix it first. I'd love to delete the codes just to get that stupid light off, however, my car is idling hard...fluxuating RPM's...and at low RPM's, the car will sometimes shutter and bog down like it has no power or fuel to keep it running. Downshift however and go over 2k RPM's...the car runs fine.

Because of this, I don't think my problem is mechanical, i'm certain it is electrical, probably the same as your car. I just find it too much of a coincidence that the day I take my cats off, one of my pistons or cylinder chambers starts messing up, misfiring and running lean...etc. The sensors are merely in place to help the car run more efficiently...when they jack up, the car's performance gets jacked up. Don't let the car run in the open loop program that came from the factory. According to all these other LS1 techs, the program sucks and will drastically hurt your performace and gas mileage.

Long story short, you're almost a member of this SES light club. Just frustrate yourself a little more, spend more time and money trying to fix it to no avail...and you're in!! I really do feel for you as I am still having the same friken problem! If I get a chance to work on it this weekend, I'll try to remember and let you know what the deal is. Good mother f'ing luck!!
Old 01-12-2006, 10:24 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Why in the hell would you NOT want to delete the rear O2 sensor codes? The rest of the codes will still be thrown if needed. That code has nothing to do with your car idling hard, and having fluxuating RPM's. Your car telling the engine how to run doesnt give 2 ***** about the rear O2 sensors, only the guy at the inspection station, who we give the finger to reguardless.

Nothing you do from the collectors back should affect the front O2's throwing a code, unless you are running straight headers, even then it probably wont even notice.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Whether or not you delete your rear O2 sensors is a personal preference, both accomplish the same thing.

pdanrichey I am having the same issues you are having. Bad gas mileage, rough idle, hesitation, etc. I installed headers roughly 3 weeks ago and have been fighting with it ever since. I am throwing a P1153, So I guess I am a member.

Here is what I have done in an effort to rectify the issue:

2 New 13111 Bosch Sensors (C5 Corvette...., No affect)
Had Y-pipe/race pipes weld (No affect)
Noticed Leakage at collector, tightened clamp and used silicon. No signs of leakage (No affect)
Watched O2's With Snap On Meter, Both Switch Between 300-800
Fuel Pressure (55-60 Running, 55 and some leakage key on)
Spark Plugs (roughly 3K look brand new)
MSD Wires (roughly 3K also look brand new, feel tight, no havent checked resistance)

I could give a damn about the light being on but when it starts to run like crap I also get a little pissed. I have looked for burned O2 wires and plan on checking voltages when I get the time. The car didnt have any issues prior to the header install which makes me believe the fuel injectors, pump, etc are fine. Who knows...

pdanrichey I feel your pain, I have spent way too much money trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my car...

If anyone has suggestions, advice please feel free to reply. Apprently we are not the only ones with this issue. Well enough of my ranting but this is Fing aggravating
Old 01-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Put some high flow cats on it. The emission devices really dont hurt your performance as much as every claims. It's there to help out your car.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a bad O2 sim b4 on my GTP. SES light would stay on and it said it wasn't counting properly. I just got another one and it worked. I put PS LT's on ORY with stock front O2's and sims in the back with no problems. Could a vaccum leak cause this trouble?? I think with a vaccum leak it will run lean. I know on my 3rd gen 383 I had an LPE Superram and any little leak made it run like ****. My .02
Old 01-13-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Second Club

02 sims suck, and running extensions on the front 02's suck
Old 01-13-2006, 03:05 AM
11 Second Club

I had the same problem. Get rear C5 02s in place of your current 02 sensors in the headers. My SES light went out while I was backing down the driveway.

What year is your car BTW?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Its an 01 SS, ive been running LT's with ory and catback and everythings been fine, i put the TD's on and that damn SES light came on.....As of right now its running fine
Old 01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have PO1133 that is intermitent. It came one once about 6 months ago (just cleared code) and now it came back, so i cleared it again.

still can't figure out why it has only been set twice in over 5k miles ?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I'm going to have to disagree with you. Why in the hell would you NOT want to delete the rear O2 sensor codes? The rest of the codes will still be thrown if needed. That code has nothing to do with your car idling hard, and having fluxuating RPM's. Your car telling the engine how to run doesnt give 2 ***** about the rear O2 sensors, only the guy at the inspection station, who we give the finger to reguardless.

Nothing you do from the collectors back should affect the front O2's throwing a code, unless you are running straight headers, even then it probably wont even notice.
Not the rear O2...go ahead and delete them. I'm talking about the PRE CAT O2 sensors. Your car needs those to run properly!
Old 01-14-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

ha ha ha EFI and all computer contrloed engines are for *******!!!!

damn, never mind! i just hate how removing the cats/installing a nice set of headers 20 years ago would only help performance...now days it just f%cks your *** and makes you go by the name Sheela
Old 01-14-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=THE_SUPRA]ha ha ha EFI and all computer contrloed engines are for *******!!!!

Oh The_Supra, where do you come up with these crazy antics!!...you stupid nagga. My SES light was flashing at me the other day...then my laptop started flashing at me, "Danger to Manifold." So I said "SHUT UP!!" as I slammed the laptop closed. Right then, I hit my 2nd stage of NOS, but all of a sudden, my passenger side floor panel unbolts and falls out while sparks fly up and hit me in the face. Needless to say, it was a rough day. Britton, didn't something similar to that happen to you in either your supra or charger...??...you copycat nagga!
Old 01-14-2006, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Damn it...It sounds like I'm going to need you fella's for some advice when I install my system...I'll keep you posted.