Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need Help ASAP with STS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ASAP with STS Problem

I have a 02 SS M6 stock bottom end with a T 67 STS 42 lb injectors 255 pump and meth.Put Predator STS tune in the car and went to the dyno today to have it tuned with HP tuner.When we turned the boost to 7 lbs the car started shooting white smoke from the exhaust and then the back of the engine bay around the intake.We shut it off and then looked to see if we could find a leak somewhere in the back of the motor and then the smoke disappeared.We started the car again and now the white smoke was coming out of the front of the intake passenger side and there was oil around the front of the intake manifold.We opened the oil filler cap and the white smoke was coming out of there as well.I have an oil return line going into the valve cover.The tuner said he thought the car broke a ring or knocked a hole in the piston.So he stopped the tuning and took it off the dyno.After letting the car cool down I drove the car home easy about a 100 miles with no problems as far as oil pressure or overheating or strange noises coming from the engine.Car felt like there was no decline in power levels.Car felt like there was an intermittent miss at idle only.What I am trying to figure out is if the engine had a bad ring or piston wouldn't it make noise or overheat or have low oil pressure.Anybody out there who is knowledgeable about STS turbos please give me what you think my problem is and if the STS turbo might have caused the problem and how I could go about step by step diagnosing the problem.Could the problem be bad vaccum,bad plug or wires or bad crankcase ventilation solenoid valve.It seems like the crankcase pressure was too high and that is why the white smoke was coming out of the filler cap.Anyhow I am not a wrench and know nothing about cars and would like an opinion as to what you think my problem is.The tuner made it sound like I would have to get new pistons etc.Any body have a similar problem with their STS setup.Any help asap would be appreciated. Any advice as to where I could take the car to have it diagnosed in the L.A /OC area would be appreciated.Thanks.
tmister@***.net
Old 01-14-2006, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the tuner was any good he would have been logging a/f ratio, what was it?, and also what was the timing and iat's when you saw the smoke?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default a/f on STS

Originally Posted by Assassin
if the tuner was any good he would have been logging a/f ratio, what was it?, and also what was the timing and iat's when you saw the smoke?

The only number I have from the tuner is the a/f and that was 11.2.Somebody on the FI thread said they thought it might be a bad solenoid on the STS oil pump.Have you ever heard of that happening on a STS kit.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont mess with sts only because of the oiling system, I think they make fine power and ease of install is great but you should seriously think about running a stand alone oiling system!!... it would be easy to test if its the pump, just turn it on and pop the drain to see if its flowing...

btw, this is how I have my pcv system hooked up, that could also be causeing you problems... https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/398599-pvc-pcv.html
Old 01-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default STS Help

Originally Posted by Assassin
I dont mess with sts only because of the oiling system, I think they make fine power and ease of install is great but you should seriously think about running a stand alone oiling system!!... it would be easy to test if its the pump, just turn it on and pop the drain to see if its flowing...

btw, this is how I have my pcv system hooked up, that could also be causeing you problems... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398599
Thanks for your help/advice and I will take the car in on Mon.and let the mechanic know of some of the things you suggested to check.Do you think I could have seriously damaged the motor.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your a/f on the pull that we noticeed the smoke was around 10.8
Old 01-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks for Your Help

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
your a/f on the pull that we noticeed the smoke was around 10.8
Hey Ryne,thanks for your help on the way home and what happened to you guys going onto the exit to the 210 fwy to go onto the 57.Did you miss the exit or is that the way you normally go to Chris' house.I talked to Jason and he is going to do a leak down test for me on Mon.I also talked to my head guy Sat.and gave him the syptoms and he thinks I might have stretched the head bolts which he says is a common issue with the stock motor.By the way did you find the problem with your motor,and was it a head gasket or some other issue.Are you going to the track rental on Sun. or are you going to pass on it.
tmister
Old 01-15-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

let me know what happens..........

.....cris
Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Default STS Help

Originally Posted by travie319
let me know what happens..........

.....cris
Hey Cris.I am taking the car to Jason tomorrow 1/16/06 at SP to have him do a leak down test.I looked under the hood of the car today 1/15/06 and that oil we saw on the front of the intake was coming from the pcv valve located just below the intake.The guy from Texas Rear Turbo on the FI thread told me to check the switchvalve to make sure it was installed correctly because if it wasn't that would mean the crankcase is getting boosted.I am waiting for him to reply as to how Jason or myself can diagnose the switchvalve install.Thanks for your help in getting home from A&A.tmister
Old 01-16-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

so what happend?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by travie319
so what happend?
Took the car to Jason and Rob at SP and they diagnosed it as a hurt motor,so I have to decide what we are going to do.I have an extended warranty and hopefully they will replace the motor under warranty.tmister.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am sorry dude, but if you go the forged motor route, call jason at texas speed, he has some good deals on motors, plus he builds some bad *** motors, mine is a texas speed motor.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmister
Took the car to Jason and Rob at SP and they diagnosed it as a hurt motor,so I have to decide what we are going to do.I have an extended warranty and hopefully they will replace the motor under warranty.tmister.
well lets hope they do.....if not welcome to the forged club....

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP with STS Problem