Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pvc-pcv....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pvc-pcv....

here's how I got my crankcase vented... all 3 ports on the valve covers each going to a port on the canister and the largest opening crankcase breather filter I could find, the canister is a small lenth 2"pvc pipe w/end caps, I used 3/8"hose.... short of drilling the oilpan or another spot on the engine this is the most vented you can get... and when you need venting the most under boost there is not a checkvalve choking up the system... I kinda got this ideaw after seeing how the 1000hp supra's have there pcv system... go ahead and copy if you need to do something w/your pcv... let me know what you guy's think
Attached Thumbnails Pvc-pcv....-pcv-vent-can-001s.jpg   Pvc-pcv....-pcv-vent-can-002s.jpg   Pvc-pcv....-pcv-vent-can-003s.jpg   Pvc-pcv....-pcv-vent-can-004s.jpg  

Last edited by Assassin; 10-24-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

c'mon, I took the time to grab the camera and upload the pics, at least one person say its cool... j/k
Old 10-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kewl. Seriously it's a nice way of dealing with a lame problem.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol it is cool man. I need to address that problem myself. ATM i have it hangin infront of the engine lol. they vent right infornt of the pass valvecover. I need something like that. GJ

John
Old 10-23-2005, 07:47 AM
9 Second Club

cool...where did you get the filter....i am gonna try to make that for my car
Old 10-23-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

I bought a Moroso to do the same thing.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

hey thats awsome lowbuck idea, good work.
i need to rig something like this up
Old 10-23-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

you can get the filter at any autoparts store just make sure the bottom opening is really big and dont forget the gromet......
but it does look very suspicious buying a 1ft peice of pvc and 2 end caps from the hardware store , then you try to explain what your making and you get .......

thanks for the reply's, now I dont feel like a goof...
Old 10-23-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

nice!
Old 10-23-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

How will you drain the oil out of it?

Jim
Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeltaT

Jim
what? haha take it off the car and drain it through one of the 3 fittings, or take the breather off and drain it out the top...its a great idea, might have to make one for my car
Old 10-24-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DeltaT

Jim
take off the hoseclamp, undo the lines and filter, turn upside down.... reassemble...(right side up..)... shouldnt take no longer than 20seconds and the opening is big enough to get a rag or something to clean inside there...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's called PCV because it's Positive... it means that something is sucking the vapours (usually the manifold vacuum).
Your system looks like a race setup: just vented to the atmosphere taking advantage of the blow-by.
Are you sure to vent the crankcase enough when not under boost?
Old 10-24-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

maybe I misunderstand your post but, its positive not because there's a vaccume(that would be negitive), its positive because its the pressure created basically by the back side of the pistons and moving parts, when not under boost there is not enough crankcase pressure to be a problem, the rings still seal just fine due to that fact, if you have it routed to the manifold w/ a check valve all it will accually do is just suck up the oil smoke cloud in the valve covers created from when you choked up the system a second ago while under boost, but yes it does breathe enough because of the large opening filter and the inside diamater of the hose used is slightly larger than the openings on the valve covers themselves...
Old 10-24-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

mhhh... maybe my bad English...
To my understanding it was "positive" because it's not "natural" but "helped" by the manifold vacuum.
But you are right: under boost there is pressure in the crankcase, that's why I put a catchcan between the valvecover and the blower inlet - without it I always had oil in the blower (original Vortech setup).
This catchcan empties itself during normal operations (air is sucked through in the opposite way).

It also depends on the climate: we have pretty clod winters here and without a real PCV system my oil is full of water in winter. In summer I probably could drive without it, but only if the engine can warm up enough.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Im having a hard time figuring out how you run this system so bare with me. There was originally a 3/8 hose going to the tube on the TB. My vortech capped that tube on the TB and ran the hose over to the inlet of the blower. Now Ive changed to a FMIC and my MAF is power blower so I dont have a way to put that piece in the intake path. Should I just stick a breather on the valve cover and leave the hose hanging. I put the 3/8 hose back on the TB tube and Im now noticing that my truck is dripping oil onto my garage floor so Im assuming this isnt the correct way to do this.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

outch, you may have caused yourself some serious problems by boosting the crank case..... you may have just poped the dipstick though.... run all the crank case vent lines into a breather can....
Old 11-04-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

So your valvecover is connected to the TB as stock?
In this case when you are under boost you are blowing air in the crankcase!

Vortech connects the valvecover to the inlet of the blower (and behind the MAF) so that the air sucked by the PCV is metered.
You don't need it because you blow through the MAF.
In your case I would put a breather instead of the oil cap and plug the connector on the TB as Vortech did. Also plug the fitting on the valvecover.
I have a checkvalve between the manifold and the PCV valve and this helps not pressurizing the crankcase.
If you have a lot of blow-by, gasses will come out from the breather when under boost and you may smell them. In this case I would put the cap back and connect the valvecover to the inlet of the blower. In this way the gasses are sucked in the engine and burned. For this connection don't go with a too small hose or pressure won't be released fast enough. Maybe the next bigger diameter than 3/8.
In my system I also have two catchcans, but I would first try without them and see how it works.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

thanks. Ive only gotten into boost a few times since I did this. Hopefully I didnt blow the main seal. What do you think? Its not that big of a deal since Im trying to decide on a new motor anyway. I'll get all that fixed today. Thank you
Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone have any pics of the lines that need to be vented to this catchcan breather assembly so that I know what Im looking for? Im going to make something like this today.

Quick Reply: Pvc-pcv....