Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Streetable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Streetable?

This might be a dumb question but in the case of a turbo or even a SC what makes the setup streetable or not? Is the term streetable used to describe the idle, gas mileage, or power? What is it. What makes it unstreetable. For example I've heard a t88 will be unstreetable. In what way? Is this more of an opinion or a level of comfort afforded by the FI setup? I only ask cause I may be able to live with an unstreetable setup if I knew exactly what was making it unstreetable. I've tried to search but it is way to broad of a search. No answers either. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it is more opinion than anything. Some people think my car is not very streetabl because the cam is so large in an auto. It idles at about 900. As far as the T88 goes I think it is nat as fun to drive being it wont spool up as quickly. Then again that is more of opinion on what you like.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think about it, anything over say 500rwhp isn't "streetable" per se due to traction issues. Sticky tires help, idle etc is in the tune which isnt a concern, gas mileage is a joke sometimes. LS based cars on this board seem to be very tame at higher horsepower levels. Look at PurEvl's 88 setup. He drives that car on the street, makes me laugh when I think of traction but it is a very nice setup. There is that guy 2000 Tran Zam with his high HP setup, there is a video floating around of that car as well. I would find out what the car will primarily be used for track vs. street, set a budget, and then set the desired horsepower level. You may even be happy with a heads/cam setup. That is a relatively mild buildup, fairly cheap, and makes for a bitchin' street car. This is all my opinion. Other's can chime in and give their opinion.

Andy
Old 01-29-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

I've done the head and cam thing. It was nice, and fun. Then I went with a different shortblock as well but I want more so I'm going for the 900 mark and it isn't a daily driver but I do drive my car on the street due to I just like to drive it. I also need to drive it to the track since I don't own a trailer. Yet I don't want a setup that will konk out every stop light or anything either. I think the 88 or 91 could be streetable but don't know for sure. I know it won't be like driving a 400hp car but that is to be expected. Now is twins more streetable but no loss in power since it spools faster? Money is always a concern but right now it isn't as big of one.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do believe a benefit of two smaller turbos vs one large one is the spool rpm/powerband. My car is primarily a street car. Originally I was going with a 408/T91 but after some thought I decided to go 370/TT. If you size them correctly, the twins will come to full boost @ ~3000 vs the 4500+ I would be looking at with a T91. I think the broader powerband of the twins will make for a more enjoyable street car.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well if you want big power and streetable then turbo is the way to go. You can make sick power but have the car run almost like stock. It just a matter of throwing in some race gas and cranking up the boost and you can have a monster. Reason people say t-88 isn't streetable is because of how long it would take to spool up. But if you have a big cube motor then I think that would take care of that. You can make the same power with a single then with twins with todays turbo's and if monay is short then single would be the best way. Streetable is really going to come down to your motor setup and just when you want feel the power. I say if you plan on racing alot at the track then go a little big on the turbo, you may have some lag on low boost and pump gas but when your at the track you put some race gas in and turn up the boost and your set.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its all Horse ****...........................
Streetable is all in the eye of the beholder.......... alot of people would say my setup isnt streetable....... Ill be driving mine everywere.......even with a 2 speed....
I dont care about no A/C or Not soft seats or the Cage or the bad gas milage............. to me streetable is....... can it be driven on the street...... yes... can it make it to were its going?? Yes then its streetable......

Streetable is all up to you or the owner of the vehicle....... its like opinions and ********....... everyones got one.........
Old 01-29-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Streetable is all in the eye of the beholder.......... alot of people would say my setup isnt streetable....... Ill be driving mine everywere.......even with a 2 speed....
I dont care about no A/C or Not soft seats or the Cage or the bad gas milage............. to me streetable is....... can it be driven on the street...... yes... can it make it to were its going?? Yes then its streetable......

Streetable is all up to you or the owner of the vehicle....... its like opinions and ********....... everyones got one.........
I am with ya on that one. As long as I can get it inspected and drive it to work its streetable for me.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA

That's what I was thinking as well but wanted to ask instead of jumping to my own conclusions.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

ha ha its all good man......
Old 01-30-2006, 10:38 AM
9 Second Club

Yeap... some poeple think due to my Detroit Locker.. my 9" is not streetable. I like that it bangs around and clunks in turns.... it chirps the tires at slow speeds. I can live with that and drive her 4-5 days a week (well I did till friday anyways)
Old 01-30-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Yeap... some poeple think due to my Detroit Locker.. my 9" is not streetable. I like that it bangs around and clunks in turns.... it chirps the tires at slow speeds. I can live with that and drive her 4-5 days a week (well I did till friday anyways)

yeah...... i hear ya.... full spool here in the new rearend.....