LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

From park or neutral when I shift into gear, I hear a rattling sound.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default From park or neutral when I shift into gear, I hear a rattling sound.

It goes away when I shift back into park or neutral. What the **** is it?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Do you have aftermarket headers? The rattle could be from header bolts "loosenig" from the vibrations. If it is, also check for blown header gaskets (easy way to identify this is oil leaks).

I know every other time I make a run down the track I have to retighten my header bolts. Torque will literally rip them apart. Nowadays you can purchase those self-tightening bolts if you don't feel like tightening them every 4,000 miles or so.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1 Guy
Do you have aftermarket headers? The rattle could be from header bolts "loosenig" from the vibrations. If it is, also check for blown header gaskets (easy way to identify this is oil leaks).

I know every other time I make a run down the track I have to retighten my header bolts. Torque will literally rip them apart. Nowadays you can purchase those self-tightening bolts if you don't feel like tightening them every 4,000 miles or so.
I have stock exhaust manifolds on there now, but I'm buying some used Edelbrock shorty headers later this week. Why will I have to keep re-tightening the bolts? How much do the self-tightening ones cost?
Old 02-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Launching!

If the rattle is coming from the front end of the vehicle, it's most likely the header bolts. If not, hopefully, someone else will give their two cents. But the only rattling I've ever experienced in my 9 years of owning my LT1 are the header bolts.

Header bolts can "loosen" for several reasons: 1. As the headers get hot, it expands (since they are made out of metal); 2. The vibration your engine makes can loosen the bolts; 3. Constantly smashing on the gas petal will cause both 1. and 2. and consequently, other more costly repairs.

Although... I kind of find it hard to believe that stock exhaust manifolds would rattle out their bolts. It's always safe to check anyway.

I'm not sure how much the self-tightening bolts cost but the sponsers to the right of your screen should carry them.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

If the rattle is coming from the front end of the vehicle, it's most likely the header bolts. If not, hopefully, someone else will give their two cents. But the only rattling I've ever experienced in my 9 years of owning my LT1 are the header bolts.

Header bolts can "loosen" for several reasons: 1. As the headers get hot, it expands (since they are made out of metal); 2. The vibration your engine makes can loosen the bolts; 3. Constantly smashing on the gas petal will cause both 1. and 2. and consequently, other more costly repairs.

Although... I kind of find it hard to believe that stock exhaust manifolds would rattle out their bolts. It's always safe to check anyway.

I'm not sure how much the self-tightening bolts cost but the sponsers to the right of your screen should carry them.
I looked at a few; I didn't see anything.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Really? For self-tightening header bolts? Try ThunderRacing. My personal favorite. Here's the link to the bolts: http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=301
Old 02-05-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Really? For self-tightening header bolts? Try ThunderRacing. My personal favorite. Here's the link to the bolts: http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=301
Cool. Exactly which sets will I need for the Edelbrock shorty headers?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Launching!

It would really depend on the thickness of the gasket and the metal. I'd go with the longer 1" bolts first since it looks like you need the additional length for the locking mechanism.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

check the header bolts but also if it sounds like its coming from under the car then check the cat. sometimes when they burn out the insides will break down and get trapped. not only do you get an annoying rattle but itll hurt perfomance too. best way to check is get a rubber hammer and smack the cat one time and if it rattles youve found the problem.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by borninatransam
check the header bolts but also if it sounds like its coming from under the car then check the cat. sometimes when they burn out the insides will break down and get trapped. not only do you get an annoying rattle but itll hurt perfomance too. best way to check is get a rubber hammer and smack the cat one time and if it rattles youve found the problem.
Ok. I'll go out to the shed and see if we have a mallet in there. I know my Dad does in his truck, though.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

My car makes a rattling sound when I shift from P or N to Drive. It ended up being my flowmaster catback. The one pipe was rattling off of a brace towards the back of the car. Also I found that the muffler was hitting at places as well causes rattling noises.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Teching In

My rattle was header coming in contact with the heat sheild on passenger side.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had alot of trouble trying to find some header bolts that didnt back out..i got those locking ones with the allen screw in the middle...didnt work..3 days later 2 of them had backed out and 1 completely came out...so i put arp stainless ones in there...those lasted about 2 weeks and then started to back out...so then i went to autozone and bought some 80 cent lockwashers...and they havnt backed out AT all for 5 months now...and my car is low and i bottom out every once in a while when im not paying attention or if im on a highway and theres a big hump

Quick Reply: From park or neutral when I shift into gear, I hear a rattling sound.