General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fog Light Isues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog Light Isues

Ok so im having some retarded problems with my fog lights. I am now replacing the passenger side one for the FOURTH time. the driver side one has been changed twice. i have no idea what the problem is, i dont see any frayed wires or anything. If anyone has any input that would be awesome.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

on my formula the lens over the fog lights have a crack on em and they slowly fill up with water, once it hits the lights they go... maybe ur gettin water in there...
Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

and let me just add that i have had the car for almost 2 years now, so about every 4 months or so they go out
Old 02-06-2006, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

Sounds about right ,i keep mine on all the time and ive replaced them at least twice a year each and i have no wiring problems at all.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

now where do you get your replacement fog lights??? i need to do mine, is it just a bulb? or is it the whole unit??? cheapest place to buy????
Old 02-07-2006, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98jonws6
now where do you get your replacement fog lights??? i need to do mine, is it just a bulb? or is it the whole unit??? cheapest place to buy????
Cmon man, THINK a little.

Use that head on your shoulders...

You think people would be happy buying a whole new unit everytime a fog light goes out.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

i got to kragen and get the silverstar replacement bulb. and just an advance warning to ya. ITS ONE MAJOR PITFA to replace the bulbs. unless you have skinny arms, then it should be alright. im going to wash my car tomorrow and check to see if moisture is getting in. if not, looks like im just gonna have to sport the fogs on weekends only.
thanks for everyones input!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a page of Owner's manuals. The replacement number wasn't in my book but may be in yours. I had to take one out to see what the number was and then go to the parts store.

Regardless of how you do it: find your bulb replacement, get a couple, go to your car and open your hood, look, think, replace.

For my 98 Z28 I was able to reach from the top and get both sides. I don't have super-skinny arms and it was a pain, but was do-able. The fixture was L-shaped and turned about 45 degrees (left or right), then dropped out.

Alternately, you could maybe go at it from below. I tried that too, but even with WD-40 on the fasteners it was better to go at it from the top.

Good Luck to you...
Old 02-08-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't seem to find any...But can someone find me a set of foglights that I can put in my 97 Formulas front bumper? I would like a kit.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

it is the connector that holds the bulbs. The contacts are most likely corroded and causing rust to build up and damage the bulbs. It's happened to me.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blind527
I can't seem to find any...But can someone find me a set of foglights that I can put in my 97 Formulas front bumper? I would like a kit.
Try the cyberwhites, it's what I put in mine, available from walmart for ~ $60 they have halos, but you don't have to have them wired up if you don't want to.
They're a 4" dia, so they fit in the stock openings and don't look out of place, if you didn't know you wouldn't guess they weren't stock, until you turn them on
I was able to use the stock wiring, and switch, so it doesn't look added on
BTW for anyone else that wants brighter light, and to quit having to replace the stock bulbs every five minutes, I'd trash the stock ones, and get a set of aftermarket fogs, best $60 I've spent
Old 02-09-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Try the cyberwhites, it's what I put in mine, available from walmart for ~ $60 they have halos, but you don't have to have them wired up if you don't want to.
They're a 4" dia, so they fit in the stock openings and don't look out of place, if you didn't know you wouldn't guess they weren't stock, until you turn them on
BTW for anyone else that wants brighter light, and to quit having to replace the stock bulbs every five minutes, I'd trash the stock ones, and get a set of aftermarket fogs, best $60 I've spent

Sweet, how do I actually mount them into the bumper? It has those holes blocked off, can I get them?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA

Hell Yea, I replaced mine also with a $60 set for advanced auto, looks stock except for the blue tint same size and all, goes great with my color scheme and I haven't had to replace my bulbs. Its been over two years.

Stock sucks, Trade up and be happy. My fogs outshine our sorry *** headlights.

Headlights are one things that I'm jealous to the camaro guys.

That's it thought!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem with the driver's side. The connector keeps getting corroded. Does anyone have a part number for the connector, its too far gone to clean this time.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by screaminbird
Sounds about right ,i keep mine on all the time and ive replaced them at least twice a year each and i have no wiring problems at all.
i keep mine on on my truck all the time too. had them for 2 years and no blown bulbs.......heres a tip if you dont already know....dont touch the bulb. if you do wipe it down with alky. the oil on your hands heats and makes the bulb blow.