Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers question / Sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers question / Sound quality

Well i've been doing some serious thinking and I am definatly decided on getting a set of longtube headers at the end of this semester (coming in 3 months).

I have done a lot of research, and believe me, i've USED that search button quite a bit, but I still have a few questions.

I have a borla adjustable exhaust on my 01 TA and I was wondering what that's going to sound like with a set of long tube headers. I've listened to sounds on LS1sounds but let's all be honest, you can only get so much from sounds replayed over speakers. I was looking more for some actual words to describe it, good or bad.

My next question is a continuation of that, and that is I have my car lowered with the eibach pro-kit, and clearance is a BIG issue for me, I BARELY make it out of my driveway as it is so a combination of these new headers / Y pipe really have to tuck the same, if not tighter.

What brand would be able to do this for me?

In NJ they do a visual inspection, so if I were to go with an ORY, would it be a huge hassle getting a sticker every inspection? I have limo tint on all my windows as it is so I woudln't be thinking about state regardless.

Last question is regarding a cutout. After I do the header installation will there be a huge difference from when the cutout is open and not? And will the sound quality just but LOUD but sound like a$$?

Last question now I promise.. would there be any reason to wait to do the cutout until after the headers and y pipe are put on?

Thanks for your help guys, I know this was a loaded question but I know all of you have a lot of experience and I want to make the right decision!!!

Last edited by ryanfx; 02-19-2006 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

that is how low my ORY pipe sits, it's not name brand it's just a custom fab so a boughten one MAY tuck a little better. headers will definately make your car sound louder / better IMO good luck. i have hooker LT's on my car, and as far as the cutout goes i would wait, it's not gonna be much of a gain HP wise over a good catback, but they sound sweet if your cammin'
Old 02-19-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

well the purpose of my cutout would be for the obnoxiousness of it only

not really extra HP.

Do they sound good or loud and raspy with just headers?

Would headers + no cats make the car rasp even without a cutout?
Old 02-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Launching!

i got mac mids and y-pipe.i had a LM and just bolted on a used borla catback and QTP electric cutout that bolts right up on the borla.

sounds good.i didnt feal like cutting and welding,so i left the LM resanator for now until i get my new headers.its real quiet until i open the cutout.

im looking into the pacesetter lt's and y-pipe.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryanfx
Well i've been doing some serious thinking and I am definatly decided on getting a set of longtube headers at the end of this semester (coming in 3 months).

I have done a lot of research, and believe me, i've USED that search button quite a bit, but I still have a few questions.

I have a borla adjustable exhaust on my 01 TA and I was wondering what that's going to sound like with a set of long tube headers. I've listened to sounds on LS1sounds but let's all be honest, you can only get so much from sounds replayed over speakers. I was looking more for some actual words to describe it, good or bad.

My next question is a continuation of that, and that is I have my car lowered with the eibach pro-kit, and clearance is a BIG issue for me, I BARELY make it out of my driveway as it is so a combination of these new headers / Y pipe really have to tuck the same, if not tighter.

What brand would be able to do this for me?

In NJ they do a visual inspection, so if I were to go with an ORY, would it be a huge hassle getting a sticker every inspection? I have limo tint on all my windows as it is so I woudln't be thinking about state regardless.

Last question is regarding a cutout. After I do the header installation will there be a huge difference from when the cutout is open and not? And will the sound quality just but LOUD but sound like a$$?

Last question now I promise.. would there be any reason to wait to do the cutout until after the headers and y pipe are put on?

Thanks for your help guys, I know this was a loaded question but I know all of you have a lot of experience and I want to make the right decision!!!
borla is basicly a glorifed cut out, just run it with an open plate.
adding a cut out wont do much if anything.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot guys. anyone else have an opinion?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:49 PM

Sound does not change a lot when just cruising. At higher RPM's it gets louder. As far as ground clearance, my driveshaft safety loop hangs lowest on my car. My Kooks LT's w/cated y-pipe does not hang any lower than my stock exhaust did. As far as the Eibac pro kit. A friend has it on his 98 Z and has no problems with the Kooks headers & cated y-pipe.

Both cars have Kooks & cated y-pipe.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:49 PM

Sory 2nd pic was supose to be this.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:50 PM

try again.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice