Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Heat Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heat Issues??

Whats everyones experience with engine coolant temps at idle with the ATI set ups in the summer months? I see one fan is deleted with the kit and an ATI fan shround is used in its place. The biggest concern I have is here in Houston with 100 degree days and high humidity. Will going to the SLP radiator and Spal Extreme 16" fan be enough?? This is not a daily driver but if I want to head down the road in the middle of the day with the A/C on will this be a problem? Will I be needing any additional "help" with my cooling system? A pull or push fan too?

Last edited by DJ's99SS; 02-28-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

In Miami, we get nasty humidity and heat, too. My car would never make it if it weren't for the two fans I have: A 15 inch puller and a 12 inch pusher. Traffic, heat, and AC I really need both. One won't cut it. You could always try one and then just add another one if you observe your temps struggling.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,102 Likes on 723 Posts

Why one fan? Sounds problematic.

I ran !ac, stock radiator, stock fans. Stock fans are very good.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DJ's99SS
Whats everyones experience with engine coolant temps at idle with the ATI set ups in the summer months? I see one fan is deleted with the kit and an ATI fan shround is used in its place. The biggest concern I have is here in Houston with 100 degree days and high humidity. Will going to the SLP radiator and Spal Extreme 16" fan be enough?? This is not a daily driver but if I want to head down the road in the middle of the day with the A/C on will this be a problem? Will I be needing any additional "help" with my cooling system? A pull or push fan too?
1) If stk dual fans fit you set-up that will be very good.
2) If not, search dlandsvZ28's threads on cooling for some interesting info.
3) Make sure that you have enough refrigerant in your a/c...if you are low you will ice right up when you turn on the a/c and engine temps will go right up and your a/c will stop blowing much air even with the fan on high.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

No clearance issues? I thought the head unit took up the space for one of the factory fans? Is this not the case...?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cyborg
1) If stk dual fans fit you set-up that will be very good.
2) If not, search dlandsvZ28's threads on cooling for some interesting info.
3) Make sure that you have enough refrigerant in your a/c...if you are low you will ice right up when you turn on the a/c and engine temps will go right up and your a/c will stop blowing much air even with the fan on high.
Thanks, I'll check it out...
Old 02-28-2006, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

DJ, I no longer use a stock airbox. So we took advantage of the extra room and have the radiator more upright than stock. We are still using the stock radiator bottom support (FOR NOW).
Old 02-28-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

160* tstat, dual Spal or Flex-A-Lite fans, lower fan temps in the PCM should do the trick!

Andy
Old 02-28-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

DJ, I no longer use a stock airbox. So we took advantage of the extra room and have the radiator more upright than stock. We are still using the stock radiator bottom support (FOR NOW).
This is a really good idea (move the radiator forward a few inches). Slowhawk did this on my set-up too. But then we decided to run a 90 in place of the restrictive ATI inlet hat, so the stk fans didn't fit (the 90 was more important to me), so I have to use the ATI shroud.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cyborg
This is a really good idea (move the radiator forward a few inches). Slowhawk did this on my set-up too. But then we decided to run a 90 in place of the restrictive ATI inlet hat, so the stk fans didn't fit (the 90 was more important to me), so I have to use the ATI shroud.
Thats the plans for me too...running the 90 so it looks like I'll have to run the ATI shroud, Spal fan and possibly something else to keep the temps down...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thats the plans for me too...running the 90 so it looks like I'll have to run the ATI shroud, Spal fan and possibly something else to keep the temps down...
If there's anyway you can fit some kind of duals that will be a huge help...sometimes they just don't fit though. That's where it's important to address the a/c issue I mentioned before, and look at this info:

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I had overheating issues with the fan ATI supplies with their kit. It would cool ok when driving, but as soon as it sat for a few minutes idling it would jump right to 210 or over and then blow out the overflow. Car is driven in Wichita, Kansas. It gets hot in the summer.

Obviously I checked everything such as the thermostat (a 160), Meziere electric water pump, clogged radiator and/or condensor, or bad radiator cap. All were OK.

To fix the problem I cut an additional nine inch hole on the driver side of the ATI shroud and mounted a Spal 9 inch puller (pn 30102061). I also replaced the ATI 16 inch with the Spal Extreme puller fan (pn 3012113).

After the installation of the Spal fans I purposely let the car sit in the hot sun (95 degrees) and idle with the AC on and it would not go over 185 after I installed the two fans. I can't get it to overheat after a hard pull on boost either now.

The two Spal fans pull 3700 cfm (3000 cfm for the 16 inch and 740 cfm for the 9 inch). The Spal fan is loud but it pulls much better than the ATI fan.

The Spal extreme bolts right up. You will have to get some rubber insulation to seal the fan to the ATI shroud. I got it at Lowe's. The Spal fan on the Extreme mounts about a 1/4 inch into the shroud, but the one-sided stick-on black rubber insulation mounted around the hole will raise the fan just enought so it doesn't extend into the 16 1/2 inch hole of the shroud.

The Spal fans wire into the same wires as the stock 11 inch fans. Once installed both fans look just like stock and not a hack job.

Call Keith at Spal and he will give you a number of a dealer near you.

http://www.spal-usa.com/html/dampframe.htm

Note: I have read that the ATI fan is made by Spal, however the markings on the ATI fan say it is made in the USA. Spal fans are made in Italy.

Keith at Spal said they supply a fan to ATI, but for the Corvette kit.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

The stock fans are great we usually dont tell anyone this for obvious reasons but, they can handle thicker cores better then most lower end after market fans.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Spal or Maradyne and ask for the 225 watt fans from either of the companies. There is no difference between the two. Tripac has a 17" fan out but you would need to find a vendor that sells them. We are designing a single 18" fan that will be based on a counter flow theory.........
Old 02-28-2006, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Jimmy we will go custom fan when we cut the crossmember. I have Griffin radiator ready to go.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the great info guys...! Was looking earlier for that thread from dlandsvz28 and couldn't find it. Thanks Cyborg!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

I'm having some cooling problems as well. We've narrowed it down to simply the lack of air flow from the single fan that I'm running. THe stock dual fans would not fit even with the modifcations show in the ATI installation manual.

The thing is, I have a LT1...has anyone used the ATI fans/shroud on the LT1 radiator? Are there any difference between the two?

Does anyone have any pictures of these setups?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think of the SLP radioator? Would this be good to use in conjuction with dual SPAL 16" fans to keep the temp down.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
What do you guys think of the SLP radioator? Would this be good to use in conjuction with dual SPAL 16" fans to keep the temp down.
if your buying my old kit you should be fine with what it has
Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 AM
7 Second Club

if you put the 90 elbow on more than likely youll lose AC condenser