Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bolt-on should I buy next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What bolt-on should I buy next?

I descreened my MAF (no problems and it fixed my idle from what the granatelli had me doing), whisper lid, K&N filter, and hypertech tune. I have Magnaflow exhaust with I think the stock y-pipe but I'm not sure because it is the same metal for the rest of the exhaust. I think it was a cat-back that was put on. I'm not sure. I will get another exhaust later.

What do you guys recomend me buy next that will increase power but not TOO expensive.

I'm not wanting a cam for a while, if I was gonna do that I would get the ls6 intake to and p&p while at it.

Not looking for headers yet.

So its pretty much a stock SS. Is there a better intake? What about UDP are they worth it? That tb water bypass? Cutting the middle out of the MAF? SOMETHING!

Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exhaust cutout
Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked_Hugger99
exhaust cutout
I agree, If I was you I would get an exhaust cutout($40) without installation. If you wanna get it installed most places will charge you anywhere from $30 to $60.I love my cutout it makes my car sound like a beast when it fly's down the 1/4 mile. Another thing to do is port your TB, its pretty easy and you get a little noticible horsepower. If you dont wanna do it yourself, your local speed shop should do it for around $80.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Underdrive pulley?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

port your TB its free
Old 03-02-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
I descreened my MAF (no problems and it fixed my idle from what the granatelli had me doing), whisper lid, K&N filter, and hypertech tune. I have Magnaflow exhaust with I think the stock y-pipe but I'm not sure because it is the same metal for the rest of the exhaust. I think it was a cat-back that was put on. I'm not sure. I will get another exhaust later.

What do you guys recomend me buy next that will increase power but not TOO expensive.

I'm not wanting a cam for a while, if I was gonna do that I would get the ls6 intake to and p&p while at it.

Not looking for headers yet.

So its pretty much a stock SS. Is there a better intake? What about UDP are they worth it? That tb water bypass? Cutting the middle out of the MAF? SOMETHING!

Essentially if you want HP you're gonna have to pay for it but hay it's the same for all of us.

A good bang per buck is always nitrous, but if you scrimp on the setup you might just end up grenading your motor. So while it's good value in the hp/$ ratio it isn't still isn't cheap to get.

A cut out will be of zero benefit (except noise) if you have a good cat back.

Most of the free mods aren't going to really give you any power.

FRA (free ram air), throttle bump stop and porting your TB are IMO the only ones really worth doing. TB by-pass is pretty pointless and I wouldn't personally bother. Porting your MAF also isn't really going to make many odds, not in ET's, trap speed or SOTP (seat of the pants), so again I wouldn't bother on a street machine.

Under drive pulleys I've never been a fan of, and if you plan on a blower one day you'll have to remove it.

LT's and a new Y pipe will give you more power. And more than an LS6 intake swap will on it's own. Plus the LS1 intake works pretty well on bolt on cars as the LS6 only really showa bigger numbers past 5000rpm or so.

A new stall would be worth it if your an auto or maybe rear gears (but
remember if/when your 10 bolt rear breaks then it will be money wasted)

Failing all that click here: MOD GUIDE
Old 03-02-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UDP, cutout, SFC's, STB, drag radials, LS6 manifold, etc.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the cutout it is a good mod and will flow better than any catback out there period. it is only 40bucks, get a ftra or ssra about 75-125 used, and will add at least 10hp, or 1mph, UD pulley is worth it in my opinoin if you can get it used like i did, got mine at a smoking deal of 110 shipped with both belts, ported throttle body is worth it too plenty people do it on here for like 75 shipped. and finally weight reduction is also free hp...
Old 03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Id do a cutout or a underdrive pulley
Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

I would save the money and get some long tube's and true dual exhaust!! Got mine from TSP for less than 950 shipped! That included the O2 simulators!!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

magnflow catback flows too good for a cutout a friend of mine runs a tenth slower the cutout open now if you have H/C you will need it
Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

you need to buy lrry93 JET HOT Lt headers $275 cant beat thAT AND GET A tsp Y-PIPE
Old 03-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

Don't cut out the metal center section of your maf! It will throw off the calibration and you'll have to buy replacement ends(factory)

Leave the maf alone, there are people with 500 rwhp using the stock maf, and most pro tuners won't touch a car unless the stock maf is on. That's the one part the factory got right.

I know it may be hot in Hawaii, but if you want free hp you can FEEL, take the short belt off your ac compressor. If you spin the pulley by hand you'll see that thing is heavy!!! It mus tbe such a relief for the motor not to rev it up every gear. You'll see at least 7 hp at the wheels just by leaving the ac belt off.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

do some suspension mods. if you can't get the power to the ground then whats the point of adding horsepower. don't get a different exhaust the one you have flows very well.

some subframe connectors, lower control arms, panhard bar etc... thats what I would do.