Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

quick! how do you remove rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default quick! how do you remove rear view mirror

The guy tinting my windsheild strip doesnt know how to remove the newer rear view mirrors(just startin out). do you have to have a special tool? he said someone told him if you didnt have the tool you run the risk out breakin the windshield.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well considering they can just randomly fall off, the glue can't be that strong.

I'd start by heating it up with a heat gun (from the indisde around the base, or on outside of window), then use a puddy knife or something similar and go around it. If the glue doesnt come loose, I wouldnt push your luck with prying. But I have never heard of it breaking a windshield.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to slide it up the windshield, it will come off. Do not pull it down or straight off, I tried that and took a chunk of my windshield with it
Old 03-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

is there any clips holding it on?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

no, it's just on there really tight, it took me a good hour of pushing and prying it up before it finally came all the way off. best bet is to loosen up the glue, I wish i would have done that because my rear view mirror joint/bearing is loose and every time i get on it a little bit it moves and i'm looking at the backseat instead of whats behind me on the road haha.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a set screw in it (looks like a t10 size) loosen the set screw, and slide the mirror up and off the mount pad that's glued to the windshield, leave the mount pad on the windshield, and have the guy tint around it (if he can't cut the tint to fit around that, get another tint guy)
Old 03-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
There's a set screw in it (looks like a t10 size) loosen the set screw, and slide the mirror up and off the mount pad that's glued to the windshield, leave the mount pad on the windshield, and have the guy tint around it (if he can't cut the tint to fit around that, get another tint guy)

Thats 100% right, i had to tighten mine, cause i guess i didn't tighten mine last time i took it off. I had to catch the mirror at some point.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

The rear view mirror is easy to remove.. All you have to do is find a small flat head screwdriver (2.4mm) head and insert into the base of the mirror. There is a small slot on the bottom if you look. Insert the screwdriver until you feel tension and move the screwdriver up at the same time, slowly move the mirror up kind of wiggling it and it should come right off. I did this to install my compass mirror on my car. This was on a 1995 Trans Am, but if you have a wedge mount mirror it would still apply. Good Luck!! It took me like ten seconds to get the mirror off. Just like 2K2WS6TA said if the tint guy can't tint around the mounting button you might want to get another tint guy!!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

thanks
Old 03-05-2006, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

You are welcome!!

Quick Reply: quick! how do you remove rear view mirror