Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best way to launch a stockish ls1 m6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to launch a stockish ls1 m6?

I am really familiar with the manual operation at this pt.

I would like to work on my launches from a stop so that I have them down when I go to the track and do explode off the line when necessary.

I have the 275 street tires and a few bolt ons.
What do I need to do to get a good launch that won't kill my rear end or just spin the tires. I don't want to break anything else. Any tips?

MAybe give me two methods, A semi-hard one for common use as well as a super hard one that I will only use at the strip.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car has only a few bolt ons. with street tires i usually launch at 3k and feather the clutch until it grabs competely and then hold on and floor it. i wouldnt do a complete dump tho, thatll shorten the life up on the clutch a good bit.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
I am really familiar with the manual operation at this pt.

I would like to work on my launches from a stop so that I have them down when I go to the track and do explode off the line when necessary.

I have the 275 street tires and a few bolt ons.
What do I need to do to get a good launch that won't kill my rear end or just spin the tires. I don't want to break anything else. Any tips?

MAybe give me two methods, A semi-hard one for common use as well as a super hard one that I will only use at the strip.

when launching...if you hook..your hurting the rear end...and if you spin..your hurting your et. do you have a lt1? or is it a ls1...both very different to launch.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

I have an automatic lt1 and a 6speed ls1. I got the lt1 launches down awesome.

I am now working on the 6speed ls1 launches.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

ok, here's what ive noticed..those that worry about breaking the rear and baby it will break it. those that dont give a **** and go for it usually dont. funny how that works. id take it up between 2700-3500. play with that rpm range to see what suites your setup best. feather the clutch until it hooks, then release it.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly do you guys mean to "feather" the clutch ? Not really dump it and release while tapping ? Not sure I understand.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, it's not a dump of the clutch, but a strong engagement where you use the clutch to minimize spin while keeping the engine from bogging down.

The reason is you can't dump the clutch at 3000 on street tires, you'll just sit there and spin. While you can limp off the line and not spin, you lose valuable time when you are at lower rpms. By keeping it at 3000 and feathering the clutch for just a second, you are hopefully finding a happy middle point.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slip it. Don't let it out completely. You know how you can let the clutch out so far and the car will start to move without any throttle? Well, thats about where you want to hold it till it hooks, then release it the rest of the way. Last year I was racing a stock geared WS6. This year I am in a 4.10 geared SS, so it will be interesting to see if I can get it to hook here at Bristol. It really breaks loose in 2nd so I am kinda worried about the 1-2 shift.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokd U
Slip it. Don't let it out completely. You know how you can let the clutch out so far and the car will start to move without any throttle? Well, thats about where you want to hold it till it hooks, then release it the rest of the way. Last year I was racing a stock geared WS6. This year I am in a 4.10 geared SS, so it will be interesting to see if I can get it to hook here at Bristol. It really breaks loose in 2nd so I am kinda worried about the 1-2 shift.
I'd be amazed if you hooked in 1st on stret tires w/ the 4.10s.

And like ninobrn99 said........those who go big usually don't break their rear (10 bolt). Weird I know, but I went out on hoosier qtps and launced pretty hard (4k rpms) and dumped the **** out of it because my old stock clutch can not handle slipping, besides it does it on its own
Old 03-13-2006, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

I been working on the launch but I still gotta work on timing. Thanks for the tips guys. Its a little awkward still, eventually ill get it. I feel awkward revving at 3k till a light turns green. At least while practicing on the street. And when i don't sit and rev there, i always am late. Any tips for that?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

sometimes when i was on street tires i reved to around 2500 rpm,dumped the clutch and rolled into the throttle,but i think slipping the clutch is a better alternative,practice different techniques and find out which works the best for you.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
my car has only a few bolt ons. with street tires i usually launch at 3k and feather the clutch until it grabs competely and then hold on and floor it. i wouldnt do a complete dump tho, thatll shorten the life up on the clutch a good bit.

not to mention blister the tires
Old 03-14-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Practice Practice Practice

Different other factors that will make each persons launch different:
temperature, tire compound, how good/worn your clutch is, type of pavement you are on and how much rubber is buried into the starting line from other people's cars

You will basically screw up your launch a lot at first, and then get a better feel for it. Something that is hard to explain in words. Seat time is key.

At the seekonk speedway it doesn't take much to spin the tires since we start on a slight angle that will cause our back ends to slide down hill to the left, and a zillion people have launched off of it so there's a lot of rubber in the track. Makes us spin our tires easily at 2500rpm on Nitto DRs. So basically I almost don't even launch and just let the car roll and go.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

When I started going to the track I had a bad habit of lifting
my heal off the floor when lanching. Almost impossible to slip it.
Leave your heal planted on the floor & you will have Alot more control.

Quick Reply: Best way to launch a stockish ls1 m6?