Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hard to get into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard to get into reverse

A friend of mine and I changed out his motor mounts and tranny mount with poly's over the past weekend on his 02 Z28, M6.

He calls me yesterday and said that he could not get it into reverse, and the SES light was on.

So he brings it over last night and we crawl under it to look around and found that the driverside 02 extension wires had 2 burnt wires to the header (we tried to reroute them away from the headers, as they were just laying under the car hang). So I pulled the extension out and the wires were not burnt through so I cleaned up the burnt part and wrapped in electrical tape. then wrapped all 4 wires into one. Installed back into the car.

Went to do a pcm relearn (pulling the fuses) and forgot to put the key in the ignition to do this.

Anyway, reverse is very difficult to get into. You have to 2 hand it to get it in there. Is there a sensor for reverse, like a lock out? Shifts into the rest of the gears fine.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Yes, there is an electrically operated solenoid regarding the reverse gear. One for the reverse lock-out and there is also another one for the "CAGS."

Insure the electric plugs aren't plugged into the wrong solenoids: each plug is color coded to match the item on the trans. Also insure the wires are in good shape.

Steve
Old 04-05-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

ttt for ya..im having a similar issue. if you replace the reverse lock out and it works, pls post up..dont wanna have to rebuild the tranny for nothing.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by steve-d
Yes, there is an electrically operated solenoid regarding the reverse gear. One for the reverse lock-out and there is also another one for the "CAGS."

Insure the electric plugs aren't plugged into the wrong solenoids: each plug is color coded to match the item on the trans. Also insure the wires are in good shape.

Steve
He has the CAGS tuned out. What color is the solenoid for the reverse lock out?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
ttt for ya..im having a similar issue. if you replace the reverse lock out and it works, pls post up..dont wanna have to rebuild the tranny for nothing.
will do.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reverse solenoid has a black plug. If it requires 2 hands for reverse with the key on you more likely have a bad wire to it( also a blown fuse perhaps) or it is mis- plugged( white skip shift plug in black reverse solenoid). These soledoids very rarely fail and it is generally the plug being broken off that gets them replaced.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by calhoon
The reverse solenoid has a black plug. If it requires 2 hands for reverse with the key on you more likely have a bad wire to it( also a blown fuse perhaps) or it is mis- plugged( white skip shift plug in black reverse solenoid). These soledoids very rarely fail and it is generally the plug being broken off that gets them replaced.
Thanks for the info, will check on it when he comes back over on Saturday morning.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

check ur eng. sens. fuse inside ur engine bay, i have the same problem going on right now
Old 04-16-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

had the same problem, problem was a blown engine sensor fuse. it controls the reverse lock out solinoid, MAS sensor, O2 sensors, and a few other things, and mine was all from my O2 sensor wires frayed and shorted out. id suggest new extensions and check the fuse. also the car leaned itself out to compensate for the O2 sensors,( although the sensors werent bad, it was the fuse, and the car thought they were bad) really ran like crap till i diagnosed the problem. good luck
Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
had the same problem, problem was a blown engine sensor fuse. it controls the reverse lock out solinoid, MAS sensor, O2 sensors, and a few other things, and mine was all from my O2 sensor wires frayed and shorted out. id suggest new extensions and check the fuse. also the car leaned itself out to compensate for the O2 sensors,( although the sensors werent bad, it was the fuse, and the car thought they were bad) really ran like crap till i diagnosed the problem. good luck
Will definately check this out. His 02 ext. wires burned on the header and probebly shorted out.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
ENG SEN fuse under the hood was the problem. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

the dumb ***** who did my clutch install plugged the skip shift sensor into the reverse module!!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

the same thing happened to me...thank god for this thread. All fixed
Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to check this on mine as well.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Same here as well.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i cant get into my reverse unless the car is off , cause i dont have the reverse lockout connected, i have turn the car off, put in reverse then i have to press cltuch pedal then turn car on then i go from there lol its a pain but im gonna fix the reverse lockout , cause i just did my a4 to m6 converion
Old 07-25-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know this thread is old but i've tried everything so far. car still takes 2 hands to get into reverse. the engine sensor fuse looked fine, replaced it anyway. i checked the cags eliminator and its correctly installed. any ideas?