Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Open diff???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Open diff???

I bought this rear from a recycler and they said it was a 3.23 posi rear out of on 01 SS. but when it was delivered it has this tiny swaybar on it, about half the size of my stock Iroc bar. Then today I open it up to verify the gear ratio and I see this

I thought the 99 up cars got the torsen rear or auburm(clutch type) rear. I haven't seen a torsen diff in a couple years but I don't remember it being so airy. so is this what an open diff looks like?
Old 04-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Banned

Thats a torsen diff. The tires spin by hand like an open differential. But it operates like a posi.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

ok thanks

when I go to turn it(from the yoke) only the would be driver side would turn, but if I put alittle more torque to it the passenger side would turn a little. turning the passenger wheel only the yoke whould turn, and turning the driver wheel the passenger wheel would turn backwards. I found that odd thats why I asked

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Default Another Open Rear Question

I have a similiar question. After doing heads/cam to my '02 Camaro, I had major traction issues with the stock Goodyears. When I was bolting on the Nittos, I decided to check the rearend and it was doing the same thing as previously described. Spin the driver wheel and the passenger wheel goes the opposite direction. All I've ever worked on were clutch type posi rears, so I assumed somehow they slipped me an open rear end.

The car is supposed to have 3.23's(says so on the window sticker), tho nowhere does it say posi. I tried to check the gear ratio by spinning the driveshaft, and it seems to be a 2.73, but now that I hear about the weird things that go on in these stock rearends, I'm wondering if I checked it correctly.

How can I check the gear ratio without pulling the cover and how can I tell if I have a posi.

The speedo checker doesn't seem to go up to my year. Can I still use it?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...tock+open+rear

Thanks

BTW: The Nittos don't spin.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Default Ooops

Sorry, wrong link for the speedo checker

http://www.f-body.org/gears/
Old 04-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

The old way to find out gear ratio with an open diff was to leave one tire on the ground, jack one up and spin the tire once and count driveshaft revolutions, then muliply it by two.
But the torsen doesn't turn the wheels at the same gear ratio as a regular open diff.

Did you look on the door sticker for the RPO codes, it should have G80 for a posi and GU.. something for ratio.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Teching In

G80 is on there. So is GU5 right next to it. Any clue what GU5 is?? Anyway to test for sure if it's a posi?

My future plans call for an entry level type blower. Possibly the STS turbo, tho it looks like you give up a lot of ground clearance, among other things, with the STS setup.

Anyway, 450RWHP seems like a reasonable HP goal that would still maintain drivability/reliability. No plans for hard dragstrip launches. Will this rear hold up on the street? I had a shift kit done already and the 1-2 shift is pretty hard. I'm afraid it's already working on it.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GU5 is 3.23. Just use the 98 A4 year at that calculator - I use it on mine to double check after tuning and it's spot on for my car. G80 is Axle Positraction, Limited Slip.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Not to hijack the thread or anything but i want to ask somthing. The two bolts on either side of the ring gear, those are the ones you first remove then i believe there is a C-clip under them to remove to get the axles loose when dissasembling the rear end correct.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Banned

Theres a bolt near the middle with a 5/16 hex head, remove that on a torsen and the block comes out, or on any other differential a cross pin comes out. When you get which ever type you have out, you push the axles in and the c-clips should fall out.

Be sure if you remove any abs sensors your car might have on the brake backing plates first.