Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

When does the 1-2 shift get smoother?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 11:29 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When does the 1-2 shift get smoother?

Just got my 02 back and with just 350 miles on it the 1-2 is as usual crappy. Seems like my 00 got better with a few miles. Is there anything I can do to smooth it our some now? 85 degrees yesterday and still shifted like crap!
Old 05-07-2006, 01:56 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Alrighty, let's try this. Based on reading millions of post on this subject the basic problem. Either the trans fluid is too slippery or not slippery enough. Either to thin or too thick. I'm thinking about doing something drastic like letting out a quart and replace it with something thin - Sea Foam trans tune, Slick 50 trans treatment, a quart of Mobil One ATF or even something like Marvel Mystery oil. Something would happen or it wouldn't. Could be bad. Could be good.

Or, I could do the same thing with something thicker like Lucas Stabilizer, STP gear lube, 75-90 gear lube.

Don't know what will happen but I get the feeling I'm going to make it a whole lot better or really **** something up. Any guesses?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:04 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, and if that doesn't work I figure it's time to try a quart of Kool-aid or Powerade, probably some oriental fruit flavor.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely go for the Powerade...should help a lot

As for the lube, Specialty Formulations Synchroglide really helped smooth my trans out over the Dex III Dino oil I had in there previously. Pricy, but a GREAT fluid for the T-56.

Other things to consider: shifter choice. My B&M Ripper is VASTLY smoother than the stock factory Hurst. Don't forget about your clutch hydraulics as well...if it isn't disengaging fully or until your pedal is all the way to the floor, it will make your trans much harder to get into gear.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Definitely go for the Powerade...should help a lot

As for the lube, Specialty Formulations Synchroglide really helped smooth my trans out over the Dex III Dino oil I had in there previously. Pricy, but a GREAT fluid for the T-56.

Other things to consider: shifter choice. My B&M Ripper is VASTLY smoother than the stock factory Hurst. Don't forget about your clutch hydraulics as well...if it isn't disengaging fully or until your pedal is all the way to the floor, it will make your trans much harder to get into gear.
your car is beautiful.

What is unsmooth? I've noticed my car rocks a lil different going into second...but the rest of the gears as smooth as butter... when you let out the clutch...are the rpms at the same as what the tranny/rest of drivetrain is running?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:00 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Meent - I've got a ripper in it and it sucks. My last ripper was great. Where can I get this Spec. Form. Sync. stuff? I hate that rough 1-2 shift. I'm pulling the B&M out soon and take a look at it. If I don't see anything wrong I'm gonna put the Hurst back in it.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Have they changed the design of the B&M any? Does it have a removeable stick now or something?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if the design has changed. I'll dig into soon and find out. It everything looks OK I guess it's back to the Pro 5.0.

A very knowledgeable car guy gave me one more suggestion for the 1-2 roughness. He says a good friction additive, believe it or not is toothpaste. So I'm gonna squeeze a giant sized tube of Crest in it later today. Even if it still shifts rough I'll have shiny as **** teeth on my trans gears and absolutely no tartar build up!

Last edited by grb; 05-08-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™