Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you realy need tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you realy need tuning?

Ive been driving around town with my new tr230 cam in my 01 m6 TA. It was really bad a first and the damn thing kept dying. Now about 150 miles later the think runs pretty good. Worst part is sometimes after WOT itl search for an idle and rpms will fluctuate alot. How much more power will I get out of a good dyno tune? Sorry, semi newbie question.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

you'll get a few more out of it but the major thing is to make it more driveable.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, you should tune even after the simplest mods (like headers..though you might not NEED to.) There is always power to be gained with a tune after a mod. It may just be a couple of horsepower (like with headers) or it could be 15-50 horsepower (like with a h/c swap). Plus factor in longevity and reliability and fuel efficiency. So, I would definately say YES.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Launching!

get it tuned fast as possible, it will safe u on gas as much as it cost now
Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

I got headers done, mac mids and cat back and a few other minor intake mods.. and then had it about a month before being tuned. I gained like 16 rwhp and 20 rwtq or so. Driveability wasnt changed at all. It ran just fine before the tune.

Having had the car with the mods below in my sig, for about a week now, untuned.. I would say a tune is a must He did put in a baseline tune, plus it had tuning from the old set-up, so I guess that helps alot. The car surges under 1500 rpms in 1-3rd usually. I think im runnign rich as hell, as when I had some liquid drip from the passeneger side borla pipe.. it smelled like gas ) hehe no matches so couldnt light it to see

As far as the idling goes.. if definitely jumps around.. usually sittign around 650 rpm.. omg love the lopey lopey lope lope.. but will dip anywehre from 400-900. The car also will die when changing gears from reverse to 1st or if I turn in 1st when it gets started lol. That is annoying as hell cause ppl think I dotn know how to drive hehe.

The battery meter will go between 10-13 or so at times when it first starts, and I think thats related to the car stalling on me As when I give it gas the meter rises... but kinda hard to keep giving it juice when goign from reverse to 1st lol.. and i hate riding the clutch to keep it revving at 2k rpms all over the parking lots.

Other than that No reason to get a tune

Power wise I am n ot sure what gains Ill get... as it is, its fast as friggin hell
Old 05-17-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

when i was cam,lts,ory,catback only i had it tuned and picked up around 20 rwhp.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

well ill have to get a tune now. I dont want to fight the damn engine when it wants to stall. Mail order is like 250 or so but this new sponsor greenlight motorsports will tune with EFI Live and throw you on a dyno for 350. With only 100 bucks difference the decision is obvious.
Greenlight Motorsports All the way
Old 05-18-2006, 05:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not only a tune is needed for the reasons listed above, but the obvious one is to keep your motor from damage by going very lean at WOT and by being too rich at idle and washing the cylinders.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dregnier0
well ill have to get a tune now. I dont want to fight the damn engine when it wants to stall. Mail order is like 250 or so but this new sponsor greenlight motorsports will tune with EFI Live and throw you on a dyno for 350. With only 100 bucks difference the decision is obvious.
Greenlight Motorsports All the way
I've known Chad for like 3 or 4 years now, he will take very good care of you. Matter of fact, we have an appointment tomorrow morning to get my car tuned.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt trust the stock tune to keep fueling accurate now that the engine has been modified this much. It really is a matter of safety for your motor, not to mention the difference in drivability.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

right now my car has a base tune so i can break the clutch in b4 i take it in, and I cant wait to get a good tune because this car is just suckin down the gas. I'm wondering that maybe there is a hole in my gas tank or something, I never spent so much money on gas in one week!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

I have to agree with go ahead and get the tune.

I have the same cam and ran around untuned for about 2 weeks. Gas mileage sucked, idle sucked. Never took it WOT, was too nervous with it untuned.

Now I have had mine tuned for about 500 miles and love it.