Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are new factory LS1 blocks fully machined and ready to assemble??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are new factory LS1 blocks fully machined and ready to assemble??

Any of you guys that have built motors with brand new GM LS1 blocks. Do they come fully bore/honed/machined ready to assemble?

Has anyone found anything on the block requiring machining? I've built a bunch of Gen III motors but never with a new block and wanted to see if it would save me the machine work costs...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure Scoggin-Dickey sells them. They're a sponsor here.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Banned

Anyone else know if a brand new block from the dealer comes fully machined ready to assemble?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stang90gt50
Anyone else know if a brand new block from the dealer comes fully machined ready to assemble?
As far as I know, no, they don't come blueprinted. You can build a nice stock motor with them, or a h/c combo, but if I were going to build a forged internals motor, I would blueprint the block, and verify it afterwards.
As said above, you can get a machined block or a machined shortblock from a vendor, and it will probably be cheaper than buying a fresh block and blueprinting it and stuffing your own components into it.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

Thanks for the reply arkay...

I am hoping someone who has actually used a new LS1 will reply and say if there was any machining etc they had to do on a brand new block.

Machine work normally runs $300-500 a my local performance machine shop and I can save all that money by buying this local new block for $500. I dont really need to "blueprint" persay, but I check everything before assembly and im very through. I just dont want to have to go spend a bunch more on remachining the block if they dont come prepped and ready to go
Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stang90gt50
Thanks for the reply arkay...

I am hoping someone who has actually used a new LS1 will reply and say if there was any machining etc they had to do on a brand new block.

Machine work normally runs $300-500 a my local performance machine shop and I can save all that money by buying this local new block for $500. I dont really need to "blueprint" persay, but I check everything before assembly and im very through. I just dont want to have to go spend a bunch more on remachining the block if they dont come prepped and ready to go
I guess a better answer would be that they come set up to what the factory would use in a build. If you used all stock components then you should be within spec. There was a spec sheet on stock LS1 blocks but I can't remember where it was. It had the specs for the block assembly in sizes and tolerances. When I get home I'll try to look for it and post back if I find it, or maybe someone will have it and post it up for you.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

heres a bump 4 a good question..
Old 05-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

Did you LS2 new block guys have to do any machine work on the blocks before assembly??
Old 05-14-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

no these blocks are not ready to install regardless of popular belief. If you are just trying to run a stock setup then they would probably be okay. but from a performance stand point there is quite a bit of work that they need. For instance, most of the blocks are tight at the bottom of the cylinder, the deck is up and down and all around the place. The mains usually arent to bad but they still need a bit of work to make them what they need to be (inconsistency). From what i can see this goes for all LSx blocks. Hope this helps a little.

Brad
Old 05-14-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think you would always deck it (even by 5 thousandths to make it true), hone the cylinders to match your pistons, and align hone the mains, especially if you are using ARP hardware.

-Geoff
Old 05-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned

Mainly I dont want to hone it past standard bore....was hoping to hear from anyone that has "ACTUALLY" used a new block and see if they needed it decked, align honed or anything of the sort....

There shouldnt be a alot of reason to need to on a new block
Old 05-17-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

maybe you missed something in my previous post, we use new blocks all the time, and a new block is not ready for anything other than a "stock" setup.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Demon SS
maybe you missed something in my previous post, we use new blocks all the time, and a new block is not ready for anything other than a "stock" setup.

Sorry about my post after yours...for some reason when I posted that, you guys last two replies werent showing up for me. I now see your reply with details and I appreciate it...thanks...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Ya not ready the tolerances are way off and especially if you add ARP mains it throughs it way off. Machine your seasoned block it is a better canidate any way.

Nate

Quick Reply: Are new factory LS1 blocks fully machined and ready to assemble??