Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About cams: bigger is faster, right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About cams: bigger is faster, right?

Disclaimer -(of course tuning is most important)-

I have been thinking on the topic of street cams and big cams. Goals that I would want when choosing a cam. It was then that I wondered, when your racing on the street wouldnt the smaller street cam only have an advantage during the first gear of the race. After that the big cam car is up in RPMs and proceeding to walk. I mean when your racing you are going ***** out if your at the track or on the street.(unless your sandbaggin)

Big cams own at the track, wouldnt they own on the street just the same?
Old 05-18-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u might want to check out the cam thread at the top...
Old 05-18-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Trust me, I have. I'm asking what other peoples opinions are. Does it make sense to you? If the big cams have more "up top" wont they be there in 1 twist of the needle and remain in their sweet spot until the race ends.

This thread could be me having second thoughts over a 224/228 I had decided on.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Junkie

If the "big" cam makes more power and hence torque between your shift points and you optimize your car via gears, stall etc....then YES the "big" cam will be faster. Remember there is a point where "big" becomes too big.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Remember there is a point where "big" becomes too big.
And that "point" is the fulcrum between driveability and maximum power...and everyones point is in a different spot.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

"Combination" owns the track and street and water. . . .
Old 05-18-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

I started out with a g5x3 and now i have a t-rex... a smaller cam than mine like a tr 224 will have more lowend but with my experience its still not enough to overpower my cam.

its all about preference and I prefer to have ricers **** whenever they hear my car at the stoplight
Old 05-18-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bigger is usually faster, but ther bigger you go, the more of a pain in the *** the car becomes to drive. Got to balance size with drivability.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cstraub
That sums it up......I personally think too many people overcam these motors. It all depends on what you do with your car. In most cases people drive thier car alot, and dont wont to lose too much torque and mid-range "pull". Big cams are fine, but if you want to pull harder throughout the powerband on the street and track, pick a cam that matches your car mods.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It is not really a Big Vs Small issue, but about combo power.
A 224 cam combo putting out 420 rwhp will walk all over at 235 cam only putting out 390 rwhp.
Combo, combo, combo
Old 05-18-2006, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Ding Ding Ding All has to work together with the rest of your car and setup.

Nate
Old 05-18-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by santiago
its all about preference and I prefer to have ricers **** whenever they hear my car at the stoplight
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old 05-18-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Exlax in their latte's will do that
Old 05-18-2006, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my .02. I have a Comp 222/224 .566/.568 112 and love it. Its putting 400hp to the wheels with bolt-ons(no heads), and I drive my car every day all day with no problems at all. Another thing I like is the fact that my power band starts at a lower rpm than the bigger cams. That way I can use the power more often, being that its an every-day driver. On the other hand, when I decide to put a new set of AFR 205's in the car, I will be changing cams as well. But for what I have done to the car now, the smaller cam works great.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the common misconception that most people make. Bigger is not always better. Bigger is just different. The bigger the cam, the longer its gonna take to hit power and the higher you are going to have to rev to get peak power. So on a strip car, a big *** cam is perfect because they can wind the gears all the way out, and they are not driving the car but a 1/4mi. so they dont have to worry about being comfortable on the way to work. On the other hand, A smaller cam will have the power almost right away, so you dont have to wait for it. Plus, you dont have to rev to 7000 RPM to get the most out of it. Also, a smaller cam will drive almost like stock. And you can get it so have a little lope by lowering the idle. As everyone else said, it depends on your own preference, and whether you wanna deal with driviablity.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nokeman
Thats the common misconception that most people make. Bigger is not always better. Bigger is just different. The bigger the cam, the longer its gonna take to hit power and the higher you are going to have to rev to get peak power. So on a strip car, a big *** cam is perfect because they can wind the gears all the way out, and they are not driving the car but a 1/4mi. so they dont have to worry about being comfortable on the way to work. On the other hand, A smaller cam will have the power almost right away, so you dont have to wait for it. Plus, you dont have to rev to 7000 RPM to get the most out of it. Also, a smaller cam will drive almost like stock. And you can get it so have a little lope by lowering the idle. As everyone else said, it depends on your own preference, and whether you wanna deal with driviablity.
my car drives fine and i have no complaints about it. the reason I dont want a small cam is because i dont want all the power down low. my car is a street car and the only reason I can think of myself wanting power down low is if i race from stoplight to stop light, but I dont do those types of races if I go to a street race there will be a 1/4 mile marked off. from what I've seen tr224 cam or similar do not trap as high as a bigger cam I've seen them range from 112 -114. my car with stock ls1 heads stock ls1 intake manifold stock pulley with full exhaust,cai and g5x3 trapped close to 117 116.9 to be exact.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the correct stall, suspension, gearing, tires, bolt ons, and valvetrain upgrades a large cam could own on the street. Do NOT just go out and buy a huge cam, put it in, and be horribly upset when it's not nearly as powerful/fast as you wanted it to be.

With a smaller cam (224, 228R for example) you can still make more power then 90% of car's on the road. It will also require fewer supporting mods (suspension and valvetrain wise), a smaller stall and smaller gears.

With a larger cam (X4, TRex) you will make more power than most anything on the street. However, you have to have a huge list of valvetrain and suspension mods, a huge stall (which some don't like to DD), and more gear (bye gas mileage) if you want it to be what it was meant to be. So, if you do both the small and the large cam the proper way (the large cam WILL cost more money to setup right), the large cam will kill the smaller cam.

Oh, and for those who talk about losing low end with a big cam, he has a 4500 stall. I don't think he'll be seeing the low end that much.