Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best heads that our TOP QUALITY and best bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best heads that our TOP QUALITY and best bang for the buck?

I know the AFR 205 and 225 rock big time but they are a little pricey and i see some of the cheaper cost wise heads are having some issues.

Will be looking for a kick *** pair of LS6 blower heads 64cc chambers and what heads are performing great with no issues and our most competively priced? ETPs, TEA, DART, etc., etc.!!

The heads will be going on a forged LS6 347 I plan on building so I can turn up the wick on my 02 Z to about 14 lbs with the reliability of a top quality stout forged motor end!
Old 05-17-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are fairly pricey but I would go with the ETP heads. They have awesome flow numbers and are a very high quality head. If you are going all forged and have the motor blown I wouldn't stiff it on the heads, you will want to get the most out of the setup. I'm not sure on the combustion chamber sizes and what not, but I'm sure you could give them a call and they could set ya up. I plan on going with the ET 215s with my Rex cam eventually...expect a wait though.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
They are fairly pricey but I would go with the ETP heads. They have awesome flow numbers and are a very high quality head. If you are going all forged and have the motor blown I wouldn't stiff it on the heads, you will want to get the most out of the setup. I'm not sure on the combustion chamber sizes and what not, but I'm sure you could give them a call and they could set ya up. I plan on going with the ET 215s with my Rex cam eventually...expect a wait though.
How much are these heads vs prices on AFR 205s?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

TEA or the trickflow, go look at their flow numbers , you wont be dissapointed.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

For a forced induction setup Id run a head with a thicker than stock deck to prevent lifting if you are looking for BIG power. Go with the AFRs, ETPs or Darts for that application. You'll get a much better price on the Darts and they seem to be just as good as the AFRs.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

How much are the DARTS? Weren't some people having issues of blowing smoke with the DARTS?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

First, with a blower your issues is detonation not flow. You want more boost. So the combustion chamber is the issue. That will put you in an aftermarket head. As a side benefit, they have a thick deck surface.

However, I would talk with several shops that specialize in forced induction for LS1s and see what they recommend. It is the combination of combustion, strength, flow, and 'issues' that you can only gain from actually doing that makes the difference.

Now the yet to be released World block and head would allow 6 bolts per cylinder, however that also appears out of your budget.

All of the aftermarket CNC heads will be close or above the AFR. That leaves the as cast Dart and World. The World is not available yet. That leaves the Dart. This is the Dart flyer: http://www.dartheads.com/manager/uploads/LS1Flyer.pdf

Your next decisions are port size, cam, and whether to substitute a high temp exhaust valve.

Last edited by DavidNJ; 05-18-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

for FI you should not go budget on the heads and a 64cc chamber seems a little small, we use the ET Performance heads for our FI setups, they have lots of options and the heads are very high quality. if you plan on 14psi stock ported heads are not the way to go.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't think you really need aftermarket heads to make big power with FI. They won't hurt, for sure, but you said bang for the buck. That being said, I would send your LS6 casttings to TEA, if you feel the need to upgrade. I would put springs on the stock heads, and call it a day. I have a Z06, and have broken an output shaft already. The point is how much power do you think the Vette rear will hold? After a point, more power becomes a dick measuring contest, because A: you can't hook the power you have; B: If you did you would blow even a built independant rear to pieces. What are your horsepower goals? I would love to have a setup like you are doing. To me anything more than 650 to the wheels, is nice to have, but not really needed. Good luck with your car.

Bruce
Old 05-18-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Best,Top Quality and bang for the buck do not usually go togehter. Even more so when your building a FI motor. Look at ETP or AFR. Both in the same price range. Just dont cheap out on something. Cause you will have a very expensive FI coffee table.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MTI 427 C5 Roadster
How much are the DARTS? Weren't some people having issues of blowing smoke with the DARTS?
Out of the box Dart heads have had no problems. Either the 205 or 225s will work well in your application.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

The only smoking issues were with TSP's Darts. They bought them bare and CNC'd them and put all their own parts on the bare CNC'd heads (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

From the few sites I've seen the ETP heads on they are a little more money than the AFR heads. However, they flow about 20cfms more at .600 (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm really no FI expert, but look at what Demon SS said. They deal with FI setups for a living at FFHP. If he reccommends the ET heads I'm sure that'd be the way to go. Shoot him a PM, I'm sure he'd help ya go fast