LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bad tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bad tune?

I just installed my racetronix pump and wiring kit, but had to bypass the factory wiring all together because i was having problems with it to begin with and didn't feel like ripping the dash apart. I haven't received an answer yet about the PCM battery not getting power, and if that effects driveability.

I put on a new o2 extension because the one i had burnt on the header. The car starts fine, ran good around the block, fine under WOT, once it's in closed loop it tries to die at idle, and under low accel the car starts missing and hits crazy dead spots.

I've never experienced a bad o2 sensor, but would the effects be this dramatic? the car will shut itself off in closed loop at idle.

A friend of mine said the same thing happened to his friend's formula and it turned out to be the pcmforless tune, does this sound valid?

trying to fix the car and sell it, all help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-30-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Data log it. If you feel it's the tune go back to the stock tune if the injectors are stock and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i don't have any way of datalogging it, but i was thinking about talking to bryan herter and seeing if he will cut me a deal on an obdI conversion, something i was going to do anyways, and that would tell me if it was the tune. I guess tomorrow i'll go buy 2 new o2 sensors and try that. Since it's only in closed loop it's gotta be one of those, or the maf perhaps
Old 05-30-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Well I can tell you this pcmforless did my tune and they have a questionarre about what you want so I filled it out, told them to leave shift firmness alone, leave egr alone, and I have a 180 stat,
well they mess with my firmess way to hard. they messed with EGR no big deal but why fill out questionarre if they do what they want, plus they have my fans turn on at 179deg...plus a couple of other issues.
I sent Bryan an Email telling him to lower my firmness....
next I data log runing my car and I was having Knock Retard at Idle and when ever I give it gas... so I sent him my data log file and ask him what he think, plus about the knock retard....
then sent him an email about changing my injectors because they were in the red at wot.

2-weeks later he sent me an email saying that he is 2-weeks behind and will try to get my injector switch.
that was a week or so ago and nothing...
I wish he told me he was behind before I ask him to give me a tune..
So now I have my new motor with knock retard, shifting like i'm racing every stop light.and fan are constanly on.
after looking at my file they have the injectors set for ford typ where they are higher. it seams to me that this tune was set up for another car.
needles to say I'm having PCM america tune my car...
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

I feel your pain. Im going to have a local guy here do mine. Im not to sure about his work but at the moment M/O tunes arent cutting it.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does he send a data logger to you or something? i would love to do this... I would just go dynotune locally but i'm selling the car, i just want it running right before i sell it. gotta hit the track once more, too. you know how it is
Old 05-30-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

No he doesnt. If youre selling the car why are you going through so much with it?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

because ever since the headers/ tune it just hasn't run right. recently it started shutting off, and just running like crap. I want this car running RIGHT, because i want to know what it's capable of so i don't forget to buy one again once it's fesable for me. I drive 45 miles each way to class every day, so i need something more economical and reliable. I'm joining the darkside and gettin on 06 civic

Quick Reply: bad tune?