Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major engine upgrade...install times???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Major engine upgrade...install times???

Going to do a pre assembled heads/cam/intake/long tubes/misc bolt-ons/fuel pump/injectors work to the car.

Basically...how long will I be without my car?? I've heard as much as 20 hours for the H/C/LT's swap...then maybe another 4 or 5 in misc stuff like the fuel system and intake? I plan to do it all at once to eliminate re-doing work like installing an LS6 intake now, then having to take it off to do the heads...etc.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently I am having a shop install a custom cam, fab a custom y-pipe, have headers installed, intake installed, oil pump, motor mounts, and dyno tune the car (see sig). I dropped her off and they said about a week to do everything.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Must be pricey to have someone else install it. I saw another guy get quoted $2200 for install on heads and cam alone! I'd rather spend that kind of money on some other kind of head...j/k...that's what my wife is for...sort of.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

The best thing to do Imo is to plan a week end to do it all. There is no time line when it comes to assembling a car your self. There are too many things that can happen that will slow you down, Plus tools and so on. Im planning on rebuilding the entire top end of my 422. All the parts are there but Im not. (IRAQ) Im taking a week to do mine and hopefully everything will go ok. Just take your time and it should work out.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Pricey? Yeah... Saved up for over a year to get this project complete. Just plan what you are going to do before you acually get it done. Sounds simple, but don't skimp on the small stuff.

Get you new motor mounts, oil pump, timing chain, pushrods, ect. installed while you have the cam swap. Going back only increases the labor and decreases the weight in you wallet. Shop around but go by customer recommendations if you can. There is no better reference for a shop than the people who have been previously served by them.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Currently I am having a shop install a custom cam, fab a custom y-pipe, have headers installed, intake installed, oil pump, motor mounts, and dyno tune the car (see sig). I dropped her off and they said about a week to do everything.

What shop?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Going to do a pre assembled heads/cam/intake/long tubes/misc bolt-ons/fuel pump/injectors work to the car.

Basically...how long will I be without my car?? I've heard as much as 20 hours for the H/C/LT's swap...then maybe another 4 or 5 in misc stuff like the fuel system and intake? I plan to do it all at once to eliminate re-doing work like installing an LS6 intake now, then having to take it off to do the heads...etc.

Thanks!
Lots of variables there. Will you be working alone, or with help? How much help? Have you done anything like this before? Do you have help who has done anything like this before? Do you have every single tool and supply or part you will possibly need? A lift or jack and stands?

I would give yourself at least a solid week, more or less depending. That is a lot of work, and unless you have done it before it can be slow going. You are also likely to run into at least one or two problems along the way that take a lot longer than anticipated to sort out.

The two best pieces of advice for doing this kind of work are: Have ALL of the proper tools and misc items on hand before you start, and if possible have somebody who has done it before help you, even if it's only from time to time. I have done most work myself, most complex being cam/springs/oil pump/timing chain and never had experienced help so it took awhile. Use resources like www.ls1howto.com to help you out. For cam swap info, check my sig.

You may want to post up in the Texas section and ask for some help. Offer some cash to cover gas there and back plus a little extra, and of course food/beverages/etc while they are there, things like that. I'm sure someone in the area can lend you a hand.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

I've never heard of having to put new motor mounts in after a cam install. I've been qutoed everywhere from 500 for a cam install to as much a 1k+ from some shops. I think $500 is worth the time/headaches if you have the money.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I've never heard of having to put new motor mounts in after a cam install. I've been qutoed everywhere from 500 for a cam install to as much a 1k+ from some shops. I think $500 is worth the time/headaches if you have the money.
I don't.

It's not that hard to do yourself, you get more satisfaction, learn more about how the car works, can do more work in teh future to save even more money (can go slightly more complicated each time) and know 100% what is in there and how it was installed.

Opinions vary, of course, but if possible I choose to do work myself. I started with ZERO experience and never had any real experienced help yet managed to do headers, cam, springs, oil pump, timing chain, rear end, lid, throttle body and other odds and ends.

I'll take the experience and $500 savings, or $500 is more/better parts, or $500 in tools any day.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

i started a heads cam project on sat morn, had it runnin sunday evening. I had a buddy help with the project, and to help drink the beer. But I think it depends on if you know what your doing or not
Old 06-11-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

AZpowerandsound - Ask for Mike, say Shaun sent you :-) That way I may get a discount next time
Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
What shop?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

i did my h\c swap in 17 hrs but i had someone who knew their **** help me....

honestly i would do the same... youll save money and learn alot