Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger leaks from dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger leaks from dipstick

I have a D1SC on my truck, has about 700 miles on it. Changed oil in it at 500 miles per ati's instructions. I understand they tend to weep some, but unless I tighten the holy hell out of this thing it just pisses oil everywhere. I may be leaking after I tighten the crap out of it too. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I put in the recomended 6 ounce bottle.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

I forgot to mention, the supplied gasket is on the dipstick.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ranwalk
I forgot to mention, the supplied gasket is on the dipstick.
Is it still in good shape? It didn't leak before you removed it for the oil change, correct? Look in you oil box for a replacement sealing washer. If there isn't a replacement in there call ATI and request one.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

It did it during the break in too. I kept seeing oil under the blower, but neve actualy saw it leaking until the other day when I popped the hood to check a few things with the engine running and it was a steady drip under the blower.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

humm, id try the replacement they include with the kit, if that dont do it call procharger ASAP and tell em you may have a problem on a new blower.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teflon tape or send it back.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same problem as well. It leaks out of the dipstick. It's on there tight, too. Not a bad leak, but enough to very slowly drip onto my garage floor.

Gary
Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We've had two ProChargers recently do this, one of them is on a Corvette that is owned by a very difficult to deal with customer. We are having to pay to have this Corvette flatbedded back to us from Chicago today, because this customer swears the head unit is leaking again. We've done this once already for him, and it tuned out to be an air conditioning leak, which I covered as it started leaking shortly after we did the header/ProCharger/clutch install. Oh, and we got news from his credit card company yesterday that he is trying to get out of his credit card bill with us... Bob
Old 06-27-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

EPP, some people are simply ridiculous.

To the original issue, my D-1SC has never leaked (knock on wood). I don't see how it could if the seals are in place or you OVERTIGHTENED it and ruined the gasket (unless it was an AWFULLY rough machining job.)

ranwalk ... isn't your dipstick at the top, like mine? I assumed from your first comment you were saying it is leaking from the drain plug at the bottom. Maybe you installed it upside-down. Just j/k.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A
EPP, some people are simply ridiculous.

To the original issue, my D-1SC has never leaked (knock on wood). I don't see how it could if the seals are in place or you OVERTIGHTENED it and ruined the gasket (unless it was an AWFULLY rough machining job.)

ranwalk ... isn't your dipstick at the top, like mine? I assumed from your first comment you were saying it is leaking from the drain plug at the bottom. Maybe you installed it upside-down. Just j/k.
It's not upside down
It's the dipstick. Since these blowers are not vented they build up pressure inside them and mine is pushing the oil out from the top at the dipstick.
My Whipple would build pressure too(not vented either) and would make a swoosh noise,relieving pressure if you opened the dipstick after driving,so does my Procharger. The Whipple never had a problem seeping or leak at all though. I will try my other gasket and see what it does. Would there be a problem putting teflon on the threads? Or does it need to be able to "seep" alittle to keep from building too much pressure?????
Old 06-27-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ranwalk
It's not upside down
Would there be a problem putting teflon on the threads? Or does it need to be able to "seep" a little to keep from building too much pressure?????
That's where it breathes. The superchargers won't build up more than about 2 psi from running. The dipstick tube is the "vent" for the system. Make sure the system isn't overfull. It is somewhat normal to see the occasional small bubble after hard running, but it shouldn't flow oil out of there due to any normal running condition.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We've had two ProChargers recently do this, one of them is on a Corvette that is owned by a very difficult to deal with customer. We are having to pay to have this Corvette flatbedded back to us from Chicago today, because this customer swears the head unit is leaking again. We've done this once already for him, and it tuned out to be an air conditioning leak, which I covered as it started leaking shortly after we did the header/ProCharger/clutch install. Oh, and we got news from his credit card company yesterday that he is trying to get out of his credit card bill with us... Bob
If he gets outta his credit card bill while you have the car just take the procharger off and ship it(the car) back to him.

andereck - That is some good info about the prochargers.

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 06-27-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:06 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Unhappy

[QUOTE=Black LS1 T/A]EPP, some people are simply ridiculous.QUOTE]

Yes, I have found that out... lol Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 06-28-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:08 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
If he gets outta his credit card bill while you have the car just take the procharger off and ship it(the car) back to him.

andereck - That is some good info about the prochargers.
I'd like to be able to tell you what I would like to ship him back, but I better not............ Bob
Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Your always gonan have a couple bad apples in the bunch. You cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Id make a comment about vette people, but i saw what happened to the last guy that did!

Quick Reply: Procharger leaks from dipstick