Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro’s and cons of stainless exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Pro’s and cons of stainless exhaust

Originally, I planned on going stainless with my exhaust upgrade. The performance shop I have been dealing with lately has persuaded me to re-evaluate this, though. Are there any considerations I am missing? My car is a fair weather driver only.

Stainless vs. mild steel:

Stainless is more expensive.
Stainless looks nicer.
Stainless headers add more heat to the engine bay, compared to ceramic coated mild steel.
Stainless resists rust better; will last longer.
Stainless steel is more temperature-sensitive to embrittlement; less flexible.

If I am missing anything, please feel free to comment. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsf
Stainless headers add more heat to the engine bay, compared to ceramic coated mild steel.
Its the other way around. You would get mild steel headers coated to help keep the heat inside the header, but stainless steel performs this function without the need for add-ons because it has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, which keeps more heat inside and more exhaust velocity retained. Mild steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than stainless steel headers. If you are still worried about heat, your best bet is to go with stainless steel and get them coated. But it is NOT necessary to get them coated like mild steel.

I'm just curious, but what did the performance shop say to make you re-evaluate your choice of going with stainless steel? Was it b/c stainless is more expensive? If so, that should be the only reason why you should choose mild steel over stainless IMO. I wouldn't get the mild steel unless you are on a very tight budget and just want LTs now. Going stainless is a wise investment especially if you plan on keeping your car for a long time.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:21 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Yes. The shop thinks ss too expensive for what it provides.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to another shop then.

Mild steel is pretty crappy and will likely rust fairly quick. Low milage cars are often far worse, as there are few things worse for a car than just sitting doing nothing. Water will be inside the exhaust as much as outside.

Some claim bad things about stainlees steel but I've only ever seen it from people who don't have a stainlees steel setup and are trying to justify it.

If you don't think you'll keep the car long then get mild steel. 12 months to 3 years is a sensible time to expect it to last.

If the car is for keeps get stainlees and don't worry about replacing it.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont think there are any cons on stainless products.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:42 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost and availability are the only downsides. Stainless exhaust is just like putting Fikse wheels or something on your car, it's a crowd-pleaser.

I'm about to have stainless headers into a mild steel y-pipe into a stainless catback.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Board Certified Idiot

The ONly CONS i see here Are the People you are Dealing with. for them to tell you its not worth it is just well RETARTED..
Old 06-29-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00pewterWS6TA
i dont think there are any cons on stainless products.
There's only one con that I can think of. Stainless expands more than mild steel. The length of a complete stainless exhaust can grow up to 1 inch overall. This is why the auto manufacturers went with exhaust hangers that will allow for this expansion. It shouldn't be an issue with a late model F-Body, (unless you're trying to run true duals and it gets real tight) but something to keep in mind for those contemplating changing an older vehicle over to stainless.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
The ONly CONS i see here Are the People you are Dealing with. for them to tell you its not worth it is just well RETARTED..
" RETARTED " .............[ RETARDED ]

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 06-29-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

:pros-You will have the best
:cons-$$$$
Old 06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

I thank you all for the responses. I will have to do more research on the engine bay heating effect of ss headers. The shop is giving me advice that conflicts with suggestions from elsewhere.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell that shop to go ***** deep and leave them to the curb.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I'm about to have stainless headers into a mild steel y-pipe into a stainless catback.
What are you doing with the TDs?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds to me as if this shop is only looking at sales and markup on what they sell. It's possible they don't have access to any suppliers giving decent markup on stainless kits as a reseller whereas there are tons of suppliers who wholesale coated and non-coated systems with a better markup.

Buy a stainless kit yourself and get someone to install it for you. I have American Racing headers, cats, and y-pipe. Previous to that was coated Jet Hots which looked like complete crap after two years never being driven in rain or snow. What a waste of money.

Get stainless.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Sounds to me as if this shop is only looking at sales and markup on what they sell. It's possible they don't have access to any suppliers giving decent markup on stainless kits as a reseller whereas there are tons of suppliers who wholesale coated and non-coated systems with a better markup.

Buy a stainless kit yourself and get someone to install it for you. I have American Racing headers, cats, and y-pipe. Previous to that was coated Jet Hots which looked like complete crap after two years never being driven in rain or snow. What a waste of money.

Get stainless.
Wow, kinda an old post, eh

Buy anyway, stainless all the way, does Kooks use anything but stainless? Tells you something right there