Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny slipping? WTF Help guys!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny slipping? WTF Help guys!

let me ask you guys....I had my cam installed and tuned(3 times) and the guy says my tranny is slipping.... It wasnt doing that before i had the cam and tune!!! This is the main question i wanna know.....if the tranny is slipping then it should slip upshifting right???? The only issue I can find is when say im in 4th and I do a WOT it shifts down to 2nd and it feels like its not getting enough fuel(hesitating). The upshifts feel fine!! I personally think its in the tune and the guy doesnt want to admit it. Anybody heard of anything like this?????? Its got me really upset!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Could be your TPS. Throttle Positioning Sensor. If it is,, then that will be a cheap fix.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

so I dont think the tranny needs rebuilding right???
Old 07-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
let me ask you guys....I had my cam installed and tuned(3 times) and the guy says my tranny is slipping.... It wasnt doing that before i had the cam and tune!!! This is the main question i wanna know.....if the tranny is slipping then it should slip upshifting right???? The only issue I can find is when say im in 4th and I do a WOT it shifts down to 2nd and it feels like its not getting enough fuel(hesitating). The upshifts feel fine!! I personally think its in the tune and the guy doesnt want to admit it. Anybody heard of anything like this?????? Its got me really upset!!!!
I think your right. Its the tune and ur tuner is covering it up. If your tranny wasn't slipping before, why would it now?

One way you can find out for sure is to take it on a dyno have someone log the engine rpms using a scan tool and compare it to your actual wheel speed. Do the math, and determine your tc / trans efficiency. If the efficiency is 95% or better, I wouldn't sweat it. I'd have someone else besides your tuner do this by the way.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The first line of your first post is.. "I had my cam installed and tuned" probably the added power from the cam and tune is causing the trans to slip now. From your mods list it looks like you have a stock tranny which can barley hold the power of a stock engine with the massive torque managment setup. you put a bunch more power into the engine, got a tune and now probably have the torque management dissabled and are blaming the tuner for a slipping trans? I don't know about that. Also the signs sure do sound like my trans when it started to go. it would be fine until I stomp on it on the highway then it would just slip its way into 2nd gear.

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 07-07-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

just funny it just so happen as soon as he finished installing the cam and tune. no signs of starting to or anything??
Old 07-08-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tune includes the pressures to grab through the shifts,
and hols once there. Small converters need more pressure
to stay locked (which might be the deal on the dyno).
Scan tool will tell you what you need to know, if you
know how to select & interpret the tranny info. It's all
there. Maybe the same can't be said for the tuner. No
excuses, should be your motto.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah ya know what....would low tranny fluid cause this???
Old 07-08-2006, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Yeah low transmission fluid would cause your transmission to start slipping. Make sure that when you check the fluid level that the car is running and warmed up to ensure an accurate reading. Also smell to see if the fluid is burnt or not.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you add power you have to increase your pressures across the board to keep from slipping. Thats why you have shift kits to help the transmission adjust for increases in power. the pressure control solenoid in conjunction with the tps tries to keep the pressure "curve" right on top of the torque curve for firm shifts. if you increase that pressure with a shift kit or whatever and don't add power it'll shift too hard and break stuff. if you add power but don't adjust the transmission for the increased torque you create a slippage. my car did some of that too when I first did the cam. but I had the tuner increase shift firmness some and that helped it out some. I'm saving up to rebuild the tranny from the ground up with a shift kit, corvette servo, beast sunshell, all new bushings, bearings, seals, clutchs, band, stall convertor.

by the way if anyone is near oklahoma and in need of a non-ls1 4l60e out of a 94 z-28 I'm rebuilding one right now and it will be for sale once parts come in to do the rebuild.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow transmission fluid was way low!!! The shop that did my cam install must have taken the tranny lines off and didnt replace the fluid that it lost. I took it back to these guys 3 times figuring it was the tune and WOW never take it back to these guys!!! I mean they are a shop that specialize in GM performance and they didnt check the fluid??????
Old 09-10-2006, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

i have the same problem with my car it slips when i do WOT going 60mph. I have no idea what the last owner put into this car except for catback and a lid. My transmission fluid seems fine. The car has 86k miles on it, i guess maybe its time for a new transmission?
Old 09-10-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craz28
i have the same problem with my car it slips when i do WOT going 60mph. I have no idea what the last owner put into this car except for catback and a lid. My transmission fluid seems fine. The car has 86k miles on it, i guess maybe its time for a new transmission?
i don't think you need to go as far as buying a new tranny your problem could be fixed with a simple rebuild which will save you alot of money over buying a new one.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Problems after power increase modifcations are not uncomon , as was stated earlier the transmission in stock form is barley adequate for the stock engine , and actually isnt adequate even for a stock engine well seasoned but in good shape as they make more power than when new , Replacing the stock tranny should be high on the early to do list when you planning on any substaintial power increase modifications , Most times though it ends up at the end with everyone hating the trans for not being able to keep up Yet all that new power from cams and headers and tunes and nitrous ect ect has to travel through that old tired stocker
PerformaBuilt

Last edited by performabuilt.com; 09-11-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
i don't think you need to go as far as buying a new tranny your problem could be fixed with a simple rebuild which will save you alot of money over buying a new one.
a rebuild saving money? maybe. but make sure it's a person with a back ground with 700r4's and 4l60e's putting up with power. lotta locals can FVCK these things up. alot of times its just a better idea to buy a "new" one. to have one rebuilt is like what, 1,000? quite a few 400 hp models can be had for 1300ish. don't even waste the time with the local guy unless he has 700r4's, or 4l60's holding up in powerful cars. it's not worth the risk of having to do it again.