Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me with a filter location issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me with a filter location issue

So I went ahead and put an F1C Procharger on my car. The new motor is not here yet, but I need to do something about a filter on this blower because I do like ot drive the car on the street.

Picture of the D1SC setup with the filter

Pictures of F1C... where and how can I route piping to get a filter on this thing?

I am thinking if I replace the coolant reservoir with something smaller and tuck it away I can possibly run a silicone hose and get a filter mounted right there. But I need to know if anyone else has an idea? Getting the F1C in the damn GTO bay was hard enough, now getting a filter on it is going to be even harder...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

The shorter the pipe 'tween the blower and the filter the BETTER. Best scenario would be the filter right off the blower.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

The GenT single turbo kit, mounts a small coolant reservoir over on the right side of the car.

Seeing as the main pipe comes from that side anyway, re-locating would be the sensible option.

Although the filter is then placed in a hotter location than if it was up front.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

OK... How about this. Swing the filter up front like the D1SC setup but run a filter in the fender well, so cut a hole where the filter is located and go straight into the fender well. Use that for daily driving. And then would I be ok with just a screen and no filter when I am at the track? Would that help make anymore power or would that just be a bad idea?

Hell this filter setup will probably be easier than trying to get my new larger FMIC setup... LOL

I just wish I had teh car here in my garage right now so I could begin working on fabbing all of this misc stuff up before my motor arrives. New tranny/DS should be in by the end of the week.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Some of the Procharger kits EPP have posted photos of here, drilled a hole through the inner wheel arch, and placed a filter down there.

Although it may pose a restriction due to the plumbing, the thought of cool air always being ducted in would surely be worth it.

My own setup is similar to yours, although I do have room for a large filter behind the blower ( ie attached directly to it ) Pic below. Obviously mine isnt a GTO, but aside from the strut tower on your car, space is also tight.
http://gallery112848.fotopic.net/p30843459.html

I'd guess with the coolant reservoir removed, you would almost have similar room to me I know Ive looked at a mates CV8 Monaro, and thought we could squeeze a decent filter in, as it will be receiving a YSi later this year too.

I dont have the room to mount one infront/ or to the side like yours though, or in a frontal location that would source cold air.

Methanol injection takes care of that now though.

I wouldnt run the risk of no filter at all.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking some sort of custom air plenum that follows the same route as before but it won't be round.Sheetmetal a box through the opening.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'm thinking some sort of custom air plenum that follows the same route as before but it won't be round.Sheetmetal a box through the opening.
That never even crossed my mind! Thats actually a great idea. Should I take it into the fender well or what?

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TrakDay
That never even crossed my mind! Thats actually a great idea. Should I take it into the fender well or what?

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Hard to tell by the pics.I would probly try to run it the orig. way if it can be done.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:02 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mick, take a look at the way we modified the stock ATI GTO inlet on the Mazda RX7/LS1/GTO ProCharger kit that is in the project car section of my website. Possibly it might help you out. Bob