Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans temp gauge mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans temp gauge mounting?

I just got my Autometer tranny temp gauge and wanted to know if I could mount the supplied bung in the tranny pan? There are two different sizes and it looks like I could just drill into the pan and braze the bung in place. Then the sending unit will screw right in. I have heard of people buying drain plug kits and using that, but I want to make sure I can do it this way before buying more parts.

Also, what temps should I see in the pan? I originally wanted to mount the sending unit in the cooler line to monitor my highest temps, but I realize that it will be easier to mount it in the pan. All I need to know is what temps I should see there. It may not be the hottest temp the fluid reaches, but so I long as I know what is normal in that location I can rest assured that I am not burning up anything. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Launching!

I Have mine mounted in the test port in the side of the transmission. The install is simple but this may not be what you are looking to do. With mine mounted in the test port the car has usually reads between 150-180 even with hard driving and in the summer heat. It is probably runs a little hoter than if you mounted it in the pan.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

I have read that the test port won't give an accurate reading..but once again as long as one knows what the temp is supposed to be at any given point, it should'nt matter. For instance, the test port may run 150. The pan may run 175 and the cooler line might run 190. These are just guesses, but that's why I am trying to figure out the temp range for the tranny pan. Anybody know this as well as whether I can use the supplied bung?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not leaving until I get an answer . Somebody has to know something about this....I tried a search but didn't help me.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my temp guage yesterday and used the test port and it seemed to work fine. It will give me atleast an idea of what the trans temp is and it was the easiest spot to put it. Im sure all the temps are pretty close anyway. The only thing I would really want to know is if the test port temp is hotter or colder then the fluid but im sure its pretty close so atleast I have a basic idea of what the temps are. Its alot better then having no gauge and not knowing what the temps are. If I notice my temps are to high ill prob bypass the radiator. I was driving for like 15 mins in the city in 80 degree weather and the temp was about 160 so thats not to bad. Ill have to do some more driving to get more of an avg temp though so hopefully it works out.I would be happy if the temp stayed around 180. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

you want to read the temp of the fluid going into the tranny so try getting some kind of t-fitting and tap it into the return side of the tranny cooler
Old 07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
you want to read the temp of the fluid going into the tranny so try getting some kind of t-fitting and tap it into the return side of the tranny cooler
I wanted to avoid buyng the temp manifold which allows you to do this....it's $35 bucks I don't want to spend. I would have mounted it in the line to the cooler anyway, coming back tells me nothing but what the lowest temps are. I want the hottest temps. Is there anybody out there with their sending unit mounted IN THEIR PAN ? If so, what are your average temps and at what temp would you consider too hot? Did you use a drain pan kit or the existing bungs that were supplied ???
Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I wanted to avoid buyng the temp manifold which allows you to do this....it's $35 bucks I don't want to spend. I would have mounted it in the line to the cooler anyway, coming back tells me nothing but what the lowest temps are. I want the hottest temps. Is there anybody out there with their sending unit mounted IN THEIR PAN ? If so, what are your average temps and at what temp would you consider too hot? Did you use a drain pan kit or the existing bungs that were supplied ???
My sending unit is in the pan. I have the actual sending unit itself (the one the wire hooks to) in the pan.
I have a cast aluminum deep pan so the proper size hole was drilled and tapped and then the sending unit screws right in. You could only do this with a cast pan, I am assuming you have a stamped steel pan, If I remember correctly you should be able to use a drain plug kit and screw the sensor into it but I am not sure about that.
As for temps, my TH400 with a 4k stall stays right at 165 to 170 in 90 degree heat. Thats with a B&M hi tek cooler and I bypassed the radiator.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by revtime
My sending unit is in the pan. I have the actual sending unit itself (the one the wire hooks to) in the pan.
I have a cast aluminum deep pan so the proper size hole was drilled and tapped and then the sending unit screws right in. You could only do this with a cast pan, I am assuming you have a stamped steel pan, If I remember correctly you should be able to use a drain plug kit and screw the sensor into it but I am not sure about that.
As for temps, my TH400 with a 4k stall stays right at 165 to 170 in 90 degree heat. Thats with a B&M hi tek cooler and I bypassed the radiator.

Thanks for the info...I guess I'm going to try using the supplied bung and have a shop braze it in place once I drill the hole. Then the sending unit will screw into that and I can run the wire up to the gauge. It's been really hot here...106-108 with the heat index so I am curious to see what temps I run. I was just looking for a comparison from others who measure from the pan. I have a B&M 24K and I too bypassed the radiator. If I am running too hot, I'll piggyback another 24K cooler and run two. Thanks again for the info. Anyone else want to post up temps they are running when measuring from the pan?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

The very best way is to take your pan off and drill and tap a hole (3/8 npt I think) in the pan about half way down (vertically) on the side of the pan.

Any other way will give you bogus readings. I tried to tee off the tranner cooler line as some suggest but that did not work.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 11SECDWS6
The very best way is to take your pan off and drill and tap a hole (3/8 npt I think) in the pan about half way down (vertically) on the side of the pan.

Any other way will give you bogus readings. I tried to tee off the tranner cooler line as some suggest but that did not work.
You have any pix of that ??
Old 07-21-2006, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Is the stock stamped pan thick enough to do this without leaking?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
got my t fitting and couple other reducing pieces from menards for under 10 dollars i am not sure of what fitting u are talking about that cost 35...mine is mounted exactly where you want to mount yours on the exit line that goes to the cooler, at the track with a couple hot laps it will go a little above 210 on the high side of the track. i wanted to know the hottests temps too and mine reads accurate. normal driving in 85 degree stop and go traffic is about 180-190 and i still have mine going to the stock radiator too, i need to get under there and bypass that..took me about 1/2 hr to put the t fitting on the line, was really easy no need to take the pan off...
Old 07-21-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've gotta disagree with you. When you put the sensor in the pan you're getting readings from fluid thats fresh from the fluid cooler as well as fresh out of the trans. Mixing those together isn't going to give you the most accurate for your actual trans temp.

Besides that though, I don't think the discrepancy is going to be that much. If your trans is getting hot enough to start causing problems, you'll know it no matter where the sensor is mounted.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
got my t fitting and couple other reducing pieces from menards for under 10 dollars i am not sure of what fitting u are talking about that cost 35...mine is mounted exactly where you want to mount yours on the exit line that goes to the cooler, at the track with a couple hot laps it will go a little above 210 on the high side of the track. i wanted to know the hottests temps too and mine reads accurate. normal driving in 85 degree stop and go traffic is about 180-190 and i still have mine going to the stock radiator too, i need to get under there and bypass that..took me about 1/2 hr to put the t fitting on the line, was really easy no need to take the pan off...
Exactly what I was looking for....I never thought about getting the fittings locally. That's a good idea. I have already bypassed the radiator so I will post up once I get this all in and let you all know what kind of temps I'm running. This will make things easier than taking the pan off and making all that mess. Thanks again...those are some stout times you're running with minimal mods!
Old 07-30-2006, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

any clearance/blockage problems with temp sender in test port ? noticed plug is shorter?might move to pan later but need gauge now.thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
I've gotta disagree with you. When you put the sensor in the pan you're getting readings from fluid thats fresh from the fluid cooler as well as fresh out of the trans. Mixing those together isn't going to give you the most accurate for your actual trans temp.

Besides that though, I don't think the discrepancy is going to be that much. If your trans is getting hot enough to start causing problems, you'll know it no matter where the sensor is mounted.
Well, thats what my transmission builder told me to do and its works like a charm. Since he has been building racing transmissions since 1977 I figure he knows what he is talking about.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info!!! I didn't want to be in trans shop again and have someone ask what was you thinking?you just blocked some passage and burnt it.also might leave in port if works.BUT MOST OF ALL I CAN'T WAIT TO DO 11'S!!! Thanks again
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313

Do you have pics? What size T fitting did you need and is the exit line from the tranny on the top or bottom?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws6togo
Do you have pics? What size T fitting did you need and is the exit line from the tranny on the top or bottom?

I would like some more info on this t-fitting as well.

Quick Reply: Trans temp gauge mounting?