Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Swapping the fuel pump...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping the fuel pump...

Can someone let me know what needs to be done? i need to change the fuel pump in my 98 firebird. i searched and coudlnt find ne thing cept some people mentioning the "trapped door" , where i would cut into my car so i can change the pump without removing the gas tank. I also check out www.installuniversity.com but didnt see anything on there. ne help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-14-2006, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Some people cut a hole in the car above the gas tank. I have SLP exhaust also. After you remove the exhaust it's not that bad. SLP exhaust ie easy to remove. Get that plastic gas take pretty empty and you'll have no probs.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Launching!

When I changed mine I had to remove the shocks off of the axle so I could lower it and get it out of the way. Just watch that you don't stretch your brake lines. I had to take the exhaust off. I didn't have a catback so I just cut mine before the axle with a reciprocating saw, then when done I taped the pipes together so I could get to the muffler shop to have it welded back. I also had to take off my panhard bar. Remove the heat shields. Make sure gas tank is empty. Unhook all lines that go to tank. Remove the plastic piece at gas cap. I believe that the filler neck is bolted to the car also. I think you have to take the plastic shield in the fender well off to get to it. I think thats all you have to remove, but if you still see something in the way go ahead and remove it. Then support the tank and start loosening the bolts that hold it up and slowly come down with the tank. It's not as bad as it sounds. Good luck
Old 08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cut it and throw in a trap door. You'll be able to get in there and change the pumps if you ever needed to and or do any other mods like multiple pumps. It's super easy and once you pull the carpet back over it, you'll never be able to tell it was done.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's ugly but it worked for me and and screwed back together now... never could tell it happened.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping the fuel pump...-cutfuelpumphole.jpg   Swapping the fuel pump...-fuelpump1.jpg  
Old 08-15-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

ouch dont think i could do that to my car... guess i'll be dropping the tank, unfortunately its a 98 = not plastic... and its like at least 1/2 full... so we'll see what happens
Old 08-18-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
ouch dont think i could do that to my car... guess i'll be dropping the tank, unfortunately its a 98 = not plastic... and its like at least 1/2 full... so we'll see what happens
You're making it much more work than it has to be by not cutting that portion out.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill probably cut that part out when i throw in a racetronix in the near future
Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i finished it... when its all said and done and once we figured out what we had to do, it wasn't that hard to pull the out... i'm glad i didn't cut a 1ft square hole in my trunk too... tho it woulda saved time... unfortunatly, it wasn't the pump thats bad, its somewhere in the wiring... now i gotta find out where that is ...