Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

can i start my car with no tranny in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i start my car with no tranny in?

I am in the process of having my clutch out for serivce and also i will be installing headers before i get the clutch back probably so would it be alright so start the car on jack stands with no tranny so i can hear her rumble with the headers?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't see why not? But you'll need your flywheel on the motor. You said your clutch is off, but didn't say anything about the flywheel??
Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get a video of some revs. I bet it'll rev like F1.
can't wait to get my lightweight FW in!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

haha yeah i forgot i would have to need the flywheel on for the starter good thing u reminded me.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget that you'll need to depress the clutch pedal or jump the switch to start it.

If the slave isn't hooked up you could have clutch fluid spraying or if it is I dont' know what will happen to the slave without the pressure plate springs/fingers holding pressure against it.

Kind of like doing brakes. If someone pushes the brake down while the calipers off the piston will pop out since there's no pad or rotor to stop it.

I could be wrong but just a thought.

I'd personally wait until the trans is back in. A spinning uncovered flywheel just sounds like a bad idea to me. Your call though.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

yea its possible i used to start engines at my old school i went to w/o trannys. but they werent in the car
Old 08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just wait until I got the clutch back. but that's coming from someone that knows nothing about how all that stuff in the tranny works. mines my dily driver and o.ly car so I'd take every precaution to not break anything. just my .02
Old 08-16-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

i did it when i replaced my hydraulics, and all it did was extend then retract. kinda looked like it got a stiffy when it extended

Originally Posted by SSmokin 01
Don't forget that you'll need to depress the clutch pedal or jump the switch to start it.

If the slave isn't hooked up you could have clutch fluid spraying or if it is I dont' know what will happen to the slave without the pressure plate springs/fingers holding pressure against it.

Kind of like doing brakes. If someone pushes the brake down while the calipers off the piston will pop out since there's no pad or rotor to stop it.

I could be wrong but just a thought.

I'd personally wait until the trans is back in. A spinning uncovered flywheel just sounds like a bad idea to me. Your call though.

Quick Reply: can i start my car with no tranny in?