Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My T-56 is dying. Long read need to vent!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My T-56 is dying. Long read need to vent!

Well i think my trans is almost completly finished . Its kicked out of third gear off and on for a couple of years now. The car is not driven much at all but got much more use since this past spring so i took real notice to it. Then it started to stick in fourth on occasion.

Well today i banged through some gears and it stuck in fourth on me, got it to come out drove it to my next destination everythings fine its shifting good no noises or anything. Then leaving it sticks in third, grinds if i tried to shift out, stays this way for about a mile. Slow down to wait for a light and it comes out of third and shifts fine again.

My problem is that i have no money i dont want to be completly without the car. I have a shop to pull the trans in but do not want the car just sitting there while the trans if off being rebuilt (shop is in a bad part of town).

So now im a rock in hard place 2002 model T-56=
Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bent 3-4 shift fork? Notorious for going out due to being aluminum. Replace with steel shift fork, hopefully no major internal damage and you'll be good to go in a day or two depending on the condition of the transmission.

If you had the money, I'd recommend a good refresh of the transmission, replace what needs to be replaced and it'll feel like new.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

I second the motion for the bent 3-4 fork. I replaced mine 2 years ago while doing a synchro kit and I don't regret one bit. It shifts really nice since then.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it has broken keys in the 3-4 syncro. The shift fork could also be bent. Either way, you might as well upgrade both while you're there.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5LTREATR
I'd say it has broken keys in the 3-4 syncro. The shift fork could also be bent. Either way, you might as well upgrade both while you're there.
To my knowledge the keys break because of the shift fork, so just swapping the keys would be dumb, it will just happen again. The alluminum shift fork over extends and breaks the keys, you will want a steel one no matter what.

I also agree on refreshing what needs to be refreshed, you will be very glad you did.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say get the trans rebuilt/repaired as soon as possible, before you do more damage to it. Either way its going to have to get fixed, whether you do it now or wait until its inoperable.

Sound to me like a bent shift fork, like the other guys said. Prevent that from happening in the future by getting an aftermarket shifter with bump stops. They take a lot of stress off of the shift forks and transmission internals. Something so simple can prevent a lot of problems
Old 09-06-2006, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i figured it was a 3-4 shift fork. Ive got the pro 5.0 shifter in the car now but had the problem before ever installing it.

I think im just gonna have t-56 rebuilds go in there and repair what needs to be done. I hope i can get by with thier cheapest upgrade.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much the exact same thing happend to me tonight, and i am in the exact same situation. I have no money because i just got a new LS7 clutch, new hydros, headers, lid, plugs and wires. And now this **** happends. I know exactly how you feel and it sucks so bad. Let me know what you do so i can look into it as well. Im thinking ill just send mine in to t56rebuilds and have them go at it.