Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

93 camaro z28 vs cobalt ss

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 camaro z28 vs cobalt ss

i was going to race a kid in a tsx, but he wussed out, now im going to try to race a kid in a cobalt ss,. I am still stock (other than a hi flo cat, flowmaster muffler, airhog air filter, all royal purple fluids) Im sure ill win, just wanted to see if how i should do. I just ordered a throttle body bypass kit, and an airfoil, they may, or maynot be on when we race. Whatdaya think
Old 09-10-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

easy win if you were bone stock anyway

goodluck
Old 09-10-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

You should win but if I were you I would try to cancel the order on the air foil.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by donkey mule
You should win but if I were you I would try to cancel the order on the air foil.
why is that.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

if you can drive you should win, but is the cobalt modded?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06cobaltSS
if you can drive you should win, but is the cobalt modded?
i think xhaust maybe new intake.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get rid of that airfoil it wont do ****. upt that 50 bucks towards a CAI
Old 09-10-2006, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tainted
get rid of that airfoil it wont do ****. upt that 50 bucks towards a CAI
i saw dyno sheets (not the hp or tq promised) 2 hp increas 2 tq decreas but smoothed the dyno curve out, and kept the hp and torque averaging slightly higher. May not add alot, but only gave $20 shipped
Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by erickeown
i think xhaust maybe new intake.

If thats it for him and you with your mods i think it will be very close actually. From a dig you will be able to jump out but im not sure if you'll be able to hold him off the whole way. 45mph and up the cobalt gets strong.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Teching In

If thats it for him and you with your mods i think it will be very close actually. From a dig you will be able to jump out but im not sure if you'll be able to hold him off the whole way. 45mph and up the cobalt gets strong.
WTF? I like Cobalts but they are no where in the same league as the LS1 F-body's. Sorry 06CobaltSS. But your smoking crack. A LS1 F-Bod will pull on Cobalts all day long and yes (stock for stock), they can be a little strong up top but nowhere as strong as an LS1. Remember that most LS1's run low 13's and the Cobat runs high 14's. Even with an exhaust and intake done on the Cobalt, a stock LS1 will have no problem taking one of these out either from a dig or a roll. Basically, just to throw it up in the air...the only way that Cobalt is going to keep up is if the LS1 tows it.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shawnmce
WTF? I like Cobalts but they are no where in the same league as the LS1 F-body's. Sorry 06CobaltSS. But your smoking crack. A LS1 F-Bod will pull on Cobalts all day long and yes (stock for stock), they can be a little strong up top but nowhere as strong as an LS1. Remember that most LS1's run low 13's and the Cobat runs high 14's. Even with an exhaust and intake done on the Cobalt, a stock LS1 will have no problem taking one of these out either from a dig or a roll. Basically, just to throw it up in the air...the only way that Cobalt is going to keep up is if the LS1 tows it.
True, but this race is going to be against an '93 Z28 (LT1) and a Cobalt SS, not an LS1. I think that as long as your car has been maintained well and is in running order, you should edge him out. Just be sure to get that launch down.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your car a stick or auto. He will lose from a dig for sure i have a cobalt they are a bitch to launch but be careful from a roll. On a side note im more modded then your friend, and i pull all day on my friend with a very well mainted 95 lt1 ( 30,000 miles) with longtubes,ory,muffler and a cai.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a close race if your stock. Run him from a dig
Old 09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IBTL, go race him and you will know if you can beat him or not...
Old 09-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

I do not smoke crack but i can see that you do. If you actually bother to read the thread you will see that it's an LT1. Stock for stock the pull is very close. I have a cobalt my bro has a 94 z and the pull of his car was very similiar to my car when he was stock. right off the line the camaro should get a length. Then he should get another when the cobalt shifts 1 to 2 because its a terrible drop off but after that i don't think the camaro would pull away and the cobalt might start to catch up. As far as racing an LS1 i have done that too. My friend has a stock 98 T/A. He has won every race. On a good race from a dig he's had me by about 4 cars. on a bad race for him only about 2 by 70 but he was still pulling away. Hence the reason i bought a Z06.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

I do not smoke crack but i can see that you do. If you actually bother to read the thread you will see that it's an LT1. Stock for stock the pull is very close. I have a cobalt my bro has a 94 z and the pull of his car was very similiar to my car when he was stock. right off the line the camaro should get a length. Then he should get another when the cobalt shifts 1 to 2 because its a terrible drop off but after that i don't think the camaro would pull away and the cobalt might start to catch up. As far as racing an LS1 i have done that too. My friend has a stock 98 T/A. He has won every race. On a good race from a dig he's had me by about 4 cars. on a bad race for him only about 2 by 70 but he was still pulling away. Hence the reason i bought a Z06.
Thats a cute story there.
50% of the time, its true every time.

FWIW, A Cobalt SS has a chance against a 2.73 A4 LT1, the slowest example of an LT1.
Now thats impressive.

My friend has a stock 98 T/A. He has won every race..
Who/what does he race?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

i dont know where you got the information that cobalts run a high 14 sec 1/4 mile. with a competent driver they run low 14s. with his mods its porbably 14.0
Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erickeown
i was going to race a kid in a tsx, but he wussed out, now im going to try to race a kid in a cobalt ss,. I am still stock (other than a hi flo cat, flowmaster muffler, airhog air filter, all royal purple fluids) Im sure ill win, just wanted to see if how i should do. I just ordered a throttle body bypass kit, and an airfoil, they may, or maynot be on when we race. Whatdaya think
you can do the throttle body bypass kit for free and about 5 minutes of your time take on side off the throttle body and take the other hose off completly then connect hose to were you just removed the other hose once you look at it you will say boy was that a waste of money .
Old 09-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
i dont know where you got the information that cobalts run a high 14 sec 1/4 mile. with a competent driver they run low 14s. with his mods its porbably 14.0
I get my stats on these cars from watching them at the track with various drivers behind the wheel. Some are not as good as others but I have never seen one bone stock run low 14's. And I sit at sea level where the average temperature is 60 degrees at night...so don't tell me it's due to temperature and sea level...or any other stupid reason you can conjure up....

Last edited by shawnmce; 09-14-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Teching In

and yes, I am sorry about mis-reading the post...I didn't pay attention to the type camaro running...that is my bad...